5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member on the fence between 1500 and Tundra...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I literally just sold my 2010 Tundra and got into a Laramie Ram 1500 with eTorque this weekend. If you have any questions I can help with, let me know! I loved my Tundra, for the record, but the new Tundra (for me) isn't enough in today's world. Its a great reliable truck, but it's missing the updated tech and features to justify what trucks are going for these days. That's what brought me to Ram.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First FCA product for me as well. Would never have considered 10 years ago but if you test drive a 2019 Ram you will see why so many are jumping. The ride, technology, and cool features just set it apart from everyone, IMO. I sat in every truck at the Houston Auto Show and I just can't honestly see why anyone would choose another truck over this Ram based on the interior alone. I hate "cheap" plastic and Ram just nailed it.

I'm coming from a Mercedes and still need a "trunk" so the RamBins and RamBox's will take care of that for me. And a 12" display never hurt anyone.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Thanks from a former Tundra owner as well.

Since I owned the first gen Tundra (2001-2004), I have to say the new / current 3rd gen Tundra is not what I would have expected 15 years down the line - same 6 speed tranny, same TDI engine, and lacks a lot of tech I have become accustomed to (Carplay, remote start, vehicle locator, 9 speed tranny, cylinder management, etc)

That's why I am on the fence.....

Phoon

Reaction score
I have driven a couple of Tundra's and personally didn't care for them, even in comparison to my 2010 GMC sierra or my current 2017 Ram. The new Ram is even better than the 4th gen, so in my opinion it is significantly better than the tundra. I have also had 4 Rams ranging from 2012-2019 in the family business and have had very few issues, they have been very reliable, comfortable and pretty good on fuel for big v8 trucks. The tundra seems like a solid truck but was designed to compete with the market leaders back in 2008 or 2010.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Toyota has not upgraded for over 15 years which is abysmal.

I did test drive a couple of the 2019 1500s - Big Horn, Laramie and Longhorn which was amazing - a luxury sedan feel and drive.

Waiting for the V6 Pentastar since I don't haul or tow. I just hated seeing the $2500 "option" upcharge for the Hemi and eTorque.....

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
As a current Toyota owner, I just can tell you my decision was to get the Ram. I love my hybrid Avalon - it’s a great vehicle, but Toyota has just rested on their laurels when it comes to the Tundra. I test drove it after looking at one every time I took my Avalon in for service- it was a no pretty quickly, for all of the points made by yourself and other reply’s - there’s just too much of a gap.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
As a current Toyota owner, I just can tell you my decision was to get the Ram. I love my hybrid Avalon - it’s a great vehicle, but Toyota has just rested on their laurels when it comes to the Tundra. I test drove it after looking at one every time I took my Avalon in for service- it was a no pretty quickly, for all of the points made by yourself and other reply’s - there’s just too much of a gap.
New member here but not new to forums.
Joined to find out more about the 2019 1500 since I have never owned a FCA product.

I have never had a Tundra but came from an 09 Seirra to a 19 Ram. I was waiting on the new GMC’s to come out before I made a purchase. I didn’t even look at Ram when I bought my 09. I just fell in love with the looks, ride and definitely the interior of the 19 as I spend most of my day in the truck. It is a joy to drive everyday! I even bought a Dyson battery powered vacuum a few weeks after and spot clean the interior about twice a week. I can’t stand to see that beautiful interior dirty.

Ramajama

Reaction score
Toyotee Tundra is a fine enough truck and can be a handsome truck when done correctly but it’s ancient. No comparison. Brand loyalty is about all it’s got left going for it these days.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I hope our input helps in your decision making. Of course, the best thing to do is drive both.

My 2012 Ram 1500 was the best vehicle I have ever owned (which includes lots of American, Asian and European cars). Six years of near daily use without one issue. I am hoping for similar results with the 2019.

The interior is amazing on the new Ram trucks. The ride is clearly better than my co-workers 2017 Tundra. Since the Tundra is not a new model, it will have fewer "new car bugs." Since you are not a forum newbie, you know when the "refreshed" 2014 Tundra came out, there were some issues, especially on the higher end models. If you get a Tundra, you are getting a platform that is 12 years old, whereas the Ram is the new platform. My 2 cents.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came into the truck buying process with no bias. I was disappointed at the direction that GM is taking with their new trucks, so they were out. Ford was a real contender, but I was very disappointed in the interior styling. I personally don't care for the Nissan Titan at all.

Toyota was a bit of a unique animal. I wanted to consider a Tundra. But the Tacoma has an appeal that isn't there with the Tundra. One of my colleagues drives a Tundra Platinum, and I rode along with him on a recent trip. I didn't even notice it was a Platinum (or a relatively new truck) until we spent some time discussing trucks. I think that's the problem. It seems to be a good, solid truck...but it is past its prime, and it's not 'outstanding' in any category.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Wish Ram would copy their rear window though. I think that is the only thing I noticed about the tundra that I thought wow cool
Yeah, the entire rear power window dropping down like a driver's window is very cool.

I noticed everyone else uses the small sliding partial windows...

Going to see a RAM dealer about the Longhorn trim they have on the lot.

Still looking for an actual Black Forest green and Rugged Brown color RAM....

4sallypat

Reaction score
I was afraid you were going to say that - because I really hate the all black interiors....
Love the mountain beige & frost interior so the saddle look will really be nicer??

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was afraid you were going to say that - because I really hate the all black interiors....
Love the mountain beige & frost interior so the saddle look will really be nicer??

Way nicer in my opinion.

8.jpg

5.jpg

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... I have the lighter colored Longhorn interior and readily admit the saddle looks amazing. I really wish I had that option when I bought.

Nothing wrong with the lighter interior at all and of course a matter of opinion/taste but I'd say in my opinion the black/new saddle is probably the nicest interior combination on the 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online