5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

fulbuyer

Reaction score
My 2020 Big Horn 5.7L non-ET started doing the slow fueling up this week. I'm only 2 weeks out of factory warranty with 26K mi on my truck. I guess I will try and clear the vent tube and go from there. What a mess this is. I went to two stations yesterday and put in about 5 gallons at a time. I'll read this thread thoughly and try the things I can.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine did this for the first time last night. I'm still within warranty, so will get it taken care of soon. The only thing I have done different lately is using the little funnel to put some fuel system cleaner in two days ago. First time ever using that, and then this happens.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A little background before I begin my complaining. I purchased a 2019 1500 Big Horn, used, in 2019. I thought I was getting a good deal since it had fairly high mileage for a "new" truck (21,057 miles). I should have known something was up when immediately upon driving off the lot the fog lights switch wouldn't work, and hence, the fog lights wouldn't illuminate. After returning to the dealership (I had only driven about 2 miles), and having the salesman tell me I didn't know how to operate the light switch (he's lucky I didn't have a 10 lb. iron skillet in my hand when the "expert" salesman told me that), he finally admitted, with his best Well-Golly-Gomer-Pyle imitation, the switch was broken. Replacing the broken switch required approximately 6 weeks to accomplish. Truck did well for a while after that and then at approximately 40K miles filling the fuel tank began requiring at least 40 minutes to trickle gas into the tank because the nozzle would auto shutoff even on the lowest setting. SO I replaced the vapor canister/purge valve under the hood at 40,273 miles, however the problem persisted. THEN I had the EVAP control canister on top of the fuel tank (33-gallon) replaced at 43,679 miles. This eliminated the issue, but only for approximately one year. SO then I replaced the fuel filler neck and associated vapor canister at 57,218 miles. This did nothing. Lastly, I replaced the fuel vapor recirculation tube at 58,167 miles and this also did nothing to solve the problem. To top this problem off the windshield washer low fluid indicator light illuminated and now will not reset despite the fact I made sure the fluid reservoir was full (with cheap Wallyworld washer fluid). I won't go into the other issues I've had with this truck, but suffice to say, prior to this I was a staunch Dodge supporter, but now I wouldn't walk across the street to so much as look at anything they make.
My question is this (hopefully someone knows). I found TSB #1400122 and was curious if this TSB addresses the fueling problems for the 5th Gen 33-gallon tank, and if not is there any sort of class action suit being investigated for what is obviously a known design flaw with the 5th Gen, no-cap fueling system, at least in regard to the 33-gallon fuel tank? I ask because I am more than ready to sign on as a party to such a suit.
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this with your Ram. We'd recommend looking into TSB #25-001-21 which can assist you with your concern. Please reach out to us if you need any further assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine did this for the first time last night. I'm still within warranty, so will get it taken care of soon. The only thing I have done different lately is using the little funnel to put some fuel system cleaner in two days ago. First time ever using that, and then this happens.
So I fueled up the next day and it fueled fine, with no issues

23RAM

Reaction score
So I fueled up the next day and it fueled fine, with no issues
I found not all pump nozzles are the same - some have a little more bend in them and that prevents them from going into the second valve all the way. There's a station near me I don't use to fuel up the RAM now because of that. Most of them are ok, but a few don't fit properly. Luckily my favourite stations with the best prices don't have the issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found not all pump nozzles are the same - some have a little more bend in them and that prevents them from going into the second valve all the way. There's a station near me I don't use to fuel up the RAM now because of that. Most of them are ok, but a few don't fit properly. Luckily my favourite stations with the best prices don't have the issue.
The station that had the issue, I have fueled up at several times before.

KSmtnman

Reaction score
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this with your Ram. We'd recommend looking into TSB #25-001-21 which can assist you with your concern. Please reach out to us if you need any further assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thank you for the response. I shall be speaking with my nearest RAM dealer's service center today about this TSB.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I shall be speaking with my nearest RAM dealer's service center today about this TSB.
Please let us know if you need further assistance with this. We can work with your dealership for diagnosis.

Callie
Ram Cares

Wheatstein

Reaction score
For my 2021 Rebel, the culprit was the vent canister with filter for vapors from the tank. Maybe not a manufacturing defect but possibly partially crushed in an accident but I didn't have fueling issues until several thousand miles later. No warranty, $621 to diagnose and replace at non dealer auto shop.

MoyBoy74

Reaction score
Wow I thought I was doing something wrong when fueling. Mine only does it sometimes, bet when it does the pump stops like every .75 gallons, it takes forever to fill it. I love my RAM truck but taking 20+ minutes to fill the gas tank sucks. It's only like a 23 gallon tank.

GA_Rebel

Reaction score
Just to update, I had the fuel pump replaced (3rd pump - 2nd tank assembly). Fuel gauge showed Empty -> DTE was 13 miles to empty with a full tank (drove almost 200 miles after this happened). I am now down to 4 stations, with specific pumps that I can pump from reliably. When mine "locks up" it allows me to pump the first 1.2 - to 1.4 gallons, then it is a trickle from there on. as long as it makes it to 2 gallons without stopping I'm good to go on that pump. I try to never let it get below 3/8 of a tank (I can usually make it home or to a dealer with 125-150 miles range), which does suck considering I have the 33 gallon tank. 75k miles on my 21 Rebel (purchased new). Between the fueling issues and the ridiculous wifi-connectivity (AT&T vs MOPAR/STELLANTIS) I am getting close to replacing with a different manufacturer. Tough to deal with as I do like my Rebel. I am averaging a shade over 32k miles per year, so I do a lot of fill-ups. This is a problem and there are a LOT of us dealing with this issue.

dancrystalregry

Reaction score
I took my 2021 1500 with 78k miles to the dealership for this issue. They could find nothing wrong, charged me $160, and told me the TSB needed to be performed to install the dual vapor canister setup for $500. I bought the same part number from Mopar parts king for $40 and installed it today. I don't have a whole lot of faith this will fix the issue as I could blow through the single canister with no problems. I spend allot of time in this truck, really like it, and don't want to trade it because of the crazy price increases since I bought it.

dancrystalregry

Reaction score
I took my 2021 1500 with 78k miles to the dealership for this issue. They could find nothing wrong, charged me $160, and told me the TSB needed to be performed to install the dual vapor canister setup for $500. I bought the same part number from Mopar parts king for $40 and installed it today. I don't have a whole lot of faith this will fix the issue as I could blow through the single canister with no problems. I spend allot of time in this truck, really like it, and don't want to trade it because of the crazy price increases since I bought it.
Update: Just as I thought, the dual canister setup did nothing to help out the filing issue. Not sure what my next move will be, I don't feel like I can trust the dealership that was going to take $500 from me.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Anyone got a diagram of where the valves are so I have an idea how far I have to get the nozzle down?

23RAM

Reaction score
Anyone got a diagram of where the valves are so I have an idea how far I have to get the nozzle down?
No diagram, but you can open the first valve and look inside with a flashlight and see the second one - it's about 3+ inches further down. The gas pump nozzles that are straighter have no issues filling the tank. But as the manual states (page 209 in the online manual), do not overfill the tank by topping up - "When the fuel nozzle “clicks” or shuts off, the fuel tank is full."
Perhaps topping off is what leads to clogging of the filter canister.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
No diagram, but you can open the first valve and look inside with a flashlight and see the second one - it's about 3+ inches further down. The gas pump nozzles that are straighter have no issues filling the tank. But as the manual states (page 209 in the online manual), do not overfill the tank by topping up - "When the fuel nozzle “clicks” or shuts off, the fuel tank is full."
I stopped "topping off" after the first time the issue happened.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have never topped off my gas. It's a 33 gallon tank, why would I?

Users who are viewing this thread