5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301

Look it up, get a check for your wasted time and effort, trade your new junker in for a low mileage older model until FCA can figure out how a gas tank works.
No thanks i'm good.

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
Having this issue with my '21. 23 gallon tank. At the dealership now getting it worked on - I think they are taking the charcoal canister/EVAP system fix route, so my hopes are pretty low after reading posts from everyonr else. However, I do drive in a lot of dusty / dirty conditions, so maaaaayyybe? For me the issue showed up all of a sudden one day and has been pretty constant. I live in Oregon where you often are not allowed to pump your own gas, so this has been uniquely frustrating.
replaced my fuel pump this week, we'll see

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
Well we are at the mercy of the Dodge engineers, aren't we? They said it had to do with vapor lock in the emissions.
Didn't work, wouldn't fill today. Could be my last Dodge.

KSmtnman

Reaction score
A little background before I begin my complaining. I purchased a 2019 1500 Big Horn, used, in 2019. I thought I was getting a good deal since it had fairly high mileage for a "new" truck (21,057 miles). I should have known something was up when immediately upon driving off the lot the fog lights switch wouldn't work, and hence, the fog lights wouldn't illuminate. After returning to the dealership (I had only driven about 2 miles), and having the salesman tell me I didn't know how to operate the light switch (he's lucky I didn't have a 10 lb. iron skillet in my hand when the "expert" salesman told me that), he finally admitted, with his best Well-Golly-Gomer-Pyle imitation, the switch was broken. Replacing the broken switch required approximately 6 weeks to accomplish. Truck did well for a while after that and then at approximately 40K miles filling the fuel tank began requiring at least 40 minutes to trickle gas into the tank because the nozzle would auto shutoff even on the lowest setting. SO I replaced the vapor canister/purge valve under the hood at 40,273 miles, however the problem persisted. THEN I had the EVAP control canister on top of the fuel tank (33-gallon) replaced at 43,679 miles. This eliminated the issue, but only for approximately one year. SO then I replaced the fuel filler neck and associated vapor canister at 57,218 miles. This did nothing. Lastly, I replaced the fuel vapor recirculation tube at 58,167 miles and this also did nothing to solve the problem. To top this problem off the windshield washer low fluid indicator light illuminated and now will not reset despite the fact I made sure the fluid reservoir was full (with cheap Wallyworld washer fluid). I won't go into the other issues I've had with this truck, but suffice to say, prior to this I was a staunch Dodge supporter, but now I wouldn't walk across the street to so much as look at anything they make.
My question is this (hopefully someone knows). I found TSB #1400122 and was curious if this TSB addresses the fueling problems for the 5th Gen 33-gallon tank, and if not is there any sort of class action suit being investigated for what is obviously a known design flaw with the 5th Gen, no-cap fueling system, at least in regard to the 33-gallon fuel tank? I ask because I am more than ready to sign on as a party to such a suit.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A little background before I begin my complaining. I purchased a 2019 1500 Big Horn, used, in 2019. I thought I was getting a good deal since it had fairly high mileage for a "new" truck (21,057 miles). I should have known something was up when immediately upon driving off the lot the fog lights switch wouldn't work, and hence, the fog lights wouldn't illuminate. After returning to the dealership (I had only driven about 2 miles), and having the salesman tell me I didn't know how to operate the light switch (he's lucky I didn't have a 10 lb. iron skillet in my hand when the "expert" salesman told me that), he finally admitted, with his best Well-Golly-Gomer-Pyle imitation, the switch was broken. Replacing the broken switch required approximately 6 weeks to accomplish. Truck did well for a while after that and then at approximately 40K miles filling the fuel tank began requiring at least 40 minutes to trickle gas into the tank because the nozzle would auto shutoff even on the lowest setting. SO I replaced the vapor canister/purge valve under the hood at 40,273 miles, however the problem persisted. THEN I had the EVAP control canister on top of the fuel tank (33-gallon) replaced at 43,679 miles. This eliminated the issue, but only for approximately one year. SO then I replaced the fuel filler neck and associated vapor canister at 57,218 miles. This did nothing. Lastly, I replaced the fuel vapor recirculation tube at 58,167 miles and this also did nothing to solve the problem. To top this problem off the windshield washer low fluid indicator light illuminated and now will not reset despite the fact I made sure the fluid reservoir was full (with cheap Wallyworld washer fluid). I won't go into the other issues I've had with this truck, but suffice to say, prior to this I was a staunch Dodge supporter, but now I wouldn't walk across the street to so much as look at anything they make.
My question is this (hopefully someone knows). I found TSB #1400122 and was curious if this TSB addresses the fueling problems for the 5th Gen 33-gallon tank, and if not is there any sort of class action suit being investigated for what is obviously a known design flaw with the 5th Gen, no-cap fueling system, at least in regard to the 33-gallon fuel tank? I ask because I am more than ready to sign on as a party to such a suit.
There are no fixes for the tank.
Lots of things get done, most don't fix it, and others fix it only to come back a few months later.
Some people even had the entire tank replaced and still have the problem, it's a faulty design.

Gas goes into the tank, you can't sue someone for a crappy design, it still works but by all means go for it, ill sign my name if it goes through. My tank has has problems since the day I got it and drove it 1700 miles home.

KSmtnman

Reaction score
@Darksteel165
I will most certainly research the legal remedies for this pathetic issue. I'm not a legal expert in this department, but I can't imagine there haven't been legal cases decided for a plaintiff against a manufacturer/seller of a product that doesn't perform as designed or advertised. If I am successful locating an attorney specializing in, and supportive of, pursuing a legal remedy in this case I will shout it from the rooftops.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like the tanks don’t “burp” the air out when filling.

Can we just have an EVAP delete kit?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whats weird tho is, that assuming its a faulty/crappy deasign, why only a certain % of truck (probably less then 75%) have that problem.

if it would be a bad design, wouldnt every one or almoat every one have the same problem?

im not saying its not a bad design, something is wrong for sure.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
whats weird tho is, that assuming its a faulty/crappy deasign, why only a certain % of truck (probably less then 75%) have that problem.

if it would be a bad design, wouldnt every one or almoat every one have the same problem?

im not saying its not a bad design, something is wrong for sure.
It's probably 2%. They build 1,000 a day. Of the ones that have the problem, probably half have over filled the tank. I used to keep filling after the pump stopped, to make the pump an even number. Then I realized why they say stop when the pump stops. Over filling the tank, causes gas to backflow into the vent, and block the tube. When the vent is blocked, the tank can't breathe and the filler gets blocked. I have seen many posts that the tube had to be removed and drained. Probably 1% are actual part failures.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My question is this (hopefully someone knows). I found TSB #1400122 and was curious if this TSB addresses the fueling problems for the 5th Gen 33-gallon tank
That TSB is for DS trucks.

Just buy the tank and new designed vapor line, you like to replace parts.....

Users who are viewing this thread