5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know recalls are supposed to be for “safety” issues, but how is not being able to fill your gas tank a safety issue. I know it’s not causing car fires, or random airbag deployment but not being able to fill your tank when it’s 110 degrees or 5 degrees, getting stranded in the middle of no where with inability to fill your tank and run AC or heater seems like a pretty big issue. Or what about ram fixing a major inconvenience to a significant number of their products?
I would say if it caused gas to spill on the ground a case could be made that it's a safety hazard.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would say if it caused gas to spill on the ground a case could be made that it's a safety hazard.
I have fueling problems too with my tank, but you guys are making this out to be insane.
EVERYTHING is a safety problem if you stretch it out.
By no means is the pump shutting off too soon a safety problem.

It is incredibly frustrating, but it will NEVER be a recall as it's not a safety problem whatsoever.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son just returned from the dealer for the fill issue. They said they "blew out the vent line", could it be that simple? He had no problem filling after the "repair".

jljbtm

Reaction score
My 2019 fills with no problem and its a big 30+ gallon tank

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have firsthand experience with blowing out the vent line and problems returning a few weeks later? It sounded a little sketchy to me being that simple when other dealers are replacing tanks and filler necks.
No. But I have read people who get stuff replaced and the issue comes back. I don't always have problems filling, but it definitely relates to some pumps and not others (it's not a problem of the punp).

RamOR

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Ram and had the problem very infrequently and now have it every time I go to fill up. I can maybe get 3-4 gallons before it begins to backup. I've tried all solutions listed here; pull the nozzle out and turn the nozzle head. None seem to work now. I'll be making my dealer visit before my 3 yr warranty runs out. I'd be curious to know how receptive the Dealerships are to the issue. Anybody have any feedback??

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Ram and had the problem very infrequently and now have it every time I go to fill up. I can maybe get 3-4 gallons before it begins to backup. I've tried all solutions listed here; pull the nozzle out and turn the nozzle head. None seem to work now. I'll be making my dealer visit before my 3 yr warranty runs out. I'd be curious to know how receptive the Dealerships are to the issue. Anybody have any feedback??
It depends on the dealership.
Some are good, some suck.

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
2021 Rebel, bought new. This just started last Saturday. I get .75 gallon in, (fill the neck) and it shuts off. Pull the handle out a bit and it shoots out the neck onto my feet. They replaced the filler neck, did not help.

There are (3) trucks at this dealership alone with the same problem. My neighbors 2018 is there also, they've already charged him to replace the tank once, and want to charge him again cause "the warranty ran out"!

This is not a rare occurrence. I've read on another thread that Dodge is on the 3rd 33 gallon fuel tank revision.

Just own it and fix it!

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
yes just posted

tsc74

Reaction score
Is anyone with a 2021 still having this issue?

It was awful with my 2019 but never had a single occurrence in my 2021. I figured it was part of the "1st year of a new body style" issue list

I have a 2021 Lonestar BTS 4WD eTorque with the 33 tank and 71500 miles and I've had zero issues with filling up.

Handycraftman

Reaction score
It's very cold in my city and I can't refuel my truck again. But I showed ingenuity - I refuel the truck after a long trip, when the return fuel entering the tank heats its contents👍🏼

jonmarin9

Reaction score
Has anyone brought this up with @RamCares ? I've got a '20 Limited eTorque with the 33 gallon tank and have started having this issue over the last couple months. Been driving me crazy!! I'm fresh out of warranty so I'm not looking forward to having to pay for them to fix something that, based on what I've read here, wasn't properly designed to begin with. Hopefully we'll catch a break...

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
Has anyone brought this up with @RamCares ? I've got a '20 Limited eTorque with the 33 gallon tank and have started having this issue over the last couple months. Been driving me crazy!! I'm fresh out of warranty so I'm not looking forward to having to pay for them to fix something that, based on what I've read here, wasn't properly designed to begin with. Hopefully we'll catch a break...
I have, waiting for contact from a corporate advocate. Trucks sitting at the dealership 8 days now.
Florida lemon law says 3 tries or 15 days out of service for vehicles under 2 years old. The replaced the filler neck to no avail, that's 1.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have, waiting for contact from a corporate advocate. Trucks sitting at the dealership 8 days now.
Florida lemon law says 3 tries or 15 days out of service for vehicles under 2 years old. The replaced the filler neck to no avail, that's 1.
Filler neck is not going to solve this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread