5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Scrambler

Reaction score
I had the fuel filling shutoff problem on mine. Key to getting the correct parts is to have the dealer look up the appropriate gas tank and evaporative canister p/n's based on your VIN number. In my case I had a local SnapOn tool guy find me a RAM mechanic who'd do it for cash. Parts were about $400 and mechanic was $150. All fixed up. For those being told its your evaporative canister, that's not true and you can easily prove it out by disconnecting the evaporative canister hose (easy to do BTW) and then go try to fill up your tank. If it works (and it probably won't) then purchase the newly designed twin evaporative canister version. If not, get your tank replaced as well as installing the newly design canister. The mechanic told me the problem is a ball bearing in the rollover valve that floats up during refueling and never drops back down again. Thusly, the inlet tube into the tank is restricted by the ball in the rollover valve and the fuel keeps backing up triggering the shutoff. Its a bad design. Key is to not top off/overfill your tank. In my case I overfilled the tank and wham, the problem started at my next fill up.

Handycraftman

Reaction score
I had the fuel filling shutoff problem on mine. Key to getting the correct parts is to have the dealer look up the appropriate gas tank and evaporative canister p/n's based on your VIN number. In my case I had a local SnapOn tool guy find me a RAM mechanic who'd do it for cash. Parts were about $400 and mechanic was $150. All fixed up. For those being told its your evaporative canister, that's not true and you can easily prove it out by disconnecting the evaporative canister hose (easy to do BTW) and then go try to fill up your tank. If it works (and it probably won't) then purchase the newly designed twin evaporative canister version. If not, get your tank replaced as well as installing the newly design canister. The mechanic told me the problem is a ball bearing in the rollover valve that floats up during refueling and never drops back down again. Thusly, the inlet tube into the tank is restricted by the ball in the rollover valve and the fuel keeps backing up triggering the shutoff. Its a bad design. Key is to not top off/overfill your tank. In my case I overfilled the tank and wham, the problem started at my next fill up.
Hi! Is the ball in the fuel tank or in the filling neck? I can't understand why they're changing the tank, not a separate part. Since I live in Russia, we don't have spare parts available, a new tank with delivery costs $2,500 😳

localtech91

Reaction score
Hey folks! Thought I'd share my experience to hopefully help someone! I'm a licensed mechanic working for a small independent shop in Southern Ontario, Canada.

We had a customer come in with a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L with around 100,000km, with a slow to fill concern. Visually everything appeared ok, verified the concern, found after around $5 worth of fuel it would start clicking as if the tank was full. Followed along the pinpoint test givin by dodge and isolated every vent and hose that could cause a blockage or issue with the tank, basically disconnected every tube and breather other then the filler neck and the problem still persisted. I found the info about the updated fuel neck but logically thinking if it made it this far with the original design without an issue then it shouldn't make a difference. Called and ordered a tank from a local dealer, removed the tank and as per usual i try and find some sort of smoking gun that goes wrong with these tanks, i haven't been able to find a good explanation for the main issue just a bunch of "yeah installed a new tank and its fixed". Visually both tanks appeared to be identical, i really scratched my head on this one, basically resorting to cave man diagnosis and just lightly taping on certain areas of the tank i found the roll over valve built into the old tank made no noise at all, but when i tapped on the new tank you can hear the distinct rattle noise. So i re-installed the tank and lone behold i can pump any amount of fuel into the truck without issue

hopefully this helps some DIY guys out there or any techs looking for info, I'll be dissecting the old tank to see if i can find a flaw or discover a fix for this (not likely but doesn't hurt to try) while retaining the origional function of the valve

Handycraftman

Reaction score
Hey folks! Thought I'd share my experience to hopefully help someone! I'm a licensed mechanic working for a small independent shop in Southern Ontario, Canada.

We had a customer come in with a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L with around 100,000km, with a slow to fill concern. Visually everything appeared ok, verified the concern, found after around $5 worth of fuel it would start clicking as if the tank was full. Followed along the pinpoint test givin by dodge and isolated every vent and hose that could cause a blockage or issue with the tank, basically disconnected every tube and breather other then the filler neck and the problem still persisted. I found the info about the updated fuel neck but logically thinking if it made it this far with the original design without an issue then it shouldn't make a difference. Called and ordered a tank from a local dealer, removed the tank and as per usual i try and find some sort of smoking gun that goes wrong with these tanks, i haven't been able to find a good explanation for the main issue just a bunch of "yeah installed a new tank and its fixed". Visually both tanks appeared to be identical, i really scratched my head on this one, basically resorting to cave man diagnosis and just lightly taping on certain areas of the tank i found the roll over valve built into the old tank made no noise at all, but when i tapped on the new tank you can hear the distinct rattle noise. So i re-installed the tank and lone behold i can pump any amount of fuel into the truck without issue

hopefully this helps some DIY guys out there or any techs looking for info, I'll be dissecting the old tank to see if i can find a flaw or discover a fix for this (not likely but doesn't hurt to try) while retaining the origional function of the valve
Hi! Can you take a picture of the old tank and show how the rollover valve is installed? I am stopped by messages about the replacement of the fuel tank assembly when it is logical to change only the valve.

Scrambler

Reaction score
Good work my friend. I did forget to mention in my post that the rollover valve is molded into the gas tank, so it is not a replacement part. You have to buy the whole tank.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The mechanic told me the problem is a ball bearing in the rollover valve that floats up during refueling and never drops back down again. Thusly, the inlet tube into the tank is restricted by the ball in the rollover valve and the fuel keeps backing up triggering the shutoff. Its a bad design. Key is to not top off/overfill your tank. In my case I overfilled the tank and wham, the problem started at my next fill up.
That sounds about right and makes sense with what I have researched it.
I don't think overfilling the tank creates the problem as it happened to me the first day I got my truck (450 miles away from the dealership I just bought it from with 1200 miles to go).

It's a bad design because it doesn't work but I feel like a ball floating up to trigger the shutoff isn't a terrible idea? They likely just used the wrong fit of parts.

It's so anooying I have the problem on a 2022 that was just built this year, but older year trucks ahd the problem too.

Maybe they are using up the old bad parts, and only giving the correct tanks to people that get the problem?

Eric J.

Reaction score
I have found that if I push nozzle in as far as I can and hold it there that I can fuel at normal pace. I just can't let it self fill. I read this in an earlier post. This does not always work on pumps with a "hood" on them. That being said, its still a pain in the *** having to hold it there for 25 gallons or more in the cold...

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its nice to finally have someone confirm that there actually was a tank redesign done as I stated in my initial post here. I hope it encourages some of you with this issue to force RAM to replace these defective designed tanks with the new one. There is no reason whatsoever to struggle filling up your tank so while Ram did not issue a recall at least in my case they replaced the tank without any pushback at all.

Hez

Reaction score
Where is this funnel you guys speak of? I don't believe I am aware of this feature.

Tydog96

Reaction score
Just started happing (2020 Limited, 33gal). Does anyone know if there is a Service Bulletin on this issue? Update, looks like this was posted earlier: 25-001-21

Last edited:

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Before you take it in to the dealer and have to deal with all that, try this. Insert gas nozzle and twist it to the left so the nozzle tip is at the 2 o'clock position. This has worked for me every time on every pump and all the gas stations, including Costco. And many different stations that I used in 6 different states. Yes you have to hold the handle for the whole filling time to keep it at that 2 o'clock position, but its worth it to have the tank fill without tripping off.

DOFF

Reaction score
I’ve literally tried every position to get it to work. Every “o’clock”, push in hard, barely push, I’ve asked it nicely, I’ve demanded…even bargained with it. Lol. Had new tank put on and it’s still doing it. My last fill went significantly quicker, and only clicked 5 times instead of every 2 seconds like it usually does

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just started happing (2020 Limited, 33gal). Does anyone know if there is a Service Bulletin on this issue? Update, looks like this was posted earlier: 25-001-21
That TSB is not for this gas tank issue its for Dual EVAP System Extreme Duty Vapor Canister Filter Kit. You can look up TSB's here:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I talked to a friend who had the same issue. He said try moving the gas pump handle to the 3 or 4 o'clock position.
I tried it and was able to run the nozzle at full speed. I only needed about 6 gallons to get to full.
I was also told that after a few gallons you could just let the handle go back to 6 o'clock position and it should work.
Has anyone tried that?

Called dealer and was told they need to test it to verify which part it needs. Bring it in with half tank or less, they will put about 6 gallons of fuel in at the pump to diagnose what part it needs. Does this sound familiar? I am thinking off what I have read on the forum it will be just a replace this part, if that does not work, replace next part...
I usually rotate the handle off center and it works better

tech97elec

Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon in my 21. I occasionally come across a pump that will cut out. I back the nozzle out a bit and the trouble goes away.
I have the 33 in my 2022 and have issues both ways. Most times its hard to get it to keep filling and have to reposition slightly the filler, but ive twice had it not shut off and make a mess.

Youd think filling up a new truck would be easy.

DOFF

Reaction score
I know recalls are supposed to be for “safety” issues, but how is not being able to fill your gas tank a safety issue. I know it’s not causing car fires, or random airbag deployment but not being able to fill your tank when it’s 110 degrees or 5 degrees, getting stranded in the middle of no where with inability to fill your tank and run AC or heater seems like a pretty big issue. Or what about ram fixing a major inconvenience to a significant number of their products?

Users who are viewing this thread