5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
correct
according to triple_b's chart of the members registered they are up to VIN 442131 starting at VIN 100001 that is 342130 trucks we know about. 10% is 34213 and I doubt it is that high or we would hear more about it.
but I agree when it is your truck you are pissed (not you)
most people who come to forums do so because they are looking for a solution to a problem they are having. this tips the scale to make the problem is worse than it really is.
True, and I do understand blowing off steam. But reality should still prevail, solutions researched, and information of any use deiminated to the masses. I have had issue at maybe two stations in my travels around the country, and it seams they were both with the booted handles.

mdschadler

Reaction score
The tank and filler neck replacement seemed to fix my troubles, 4different gas station fill ups and all filled the tank without stopping early. For the first time in 2 years I put in 20 gallons.

GA_Rebel

Reaction score
I just hit 60k miles on my 21 Rebel. I am about to have this done again (first time truck had 30k miles on it). i will be on my 3rd 33Gal tank in 18 months (including the factory tank). The replacement did fix it for about 9 months but I am back to have problems and it occurs more frequently each time. I would love a regular gas cap with a normal vent hose and get rid of this capless system.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just hit 60k miles on my 21 Rebel. I am about to have this done again (first time truck had 30k miles on it). i will be on my 3rd 33Gal tank in 18 months (including the factory tank). The replacement did fix it for about 9 months but I am back to have problems and it occurs more frequently each time. I would love a regular gas cap with a normal vent hose and get rid of this capless system.
At my local BJs out of the 10 pumps they have. 4 don't work and 1 works. 1 of the pumps shut down both sides I think for safety and the person on the other side had to go to another pump also.
I didn't think gas tanks really changed over the years, shocking how in 2022 we are having this problem. Must of been a cost saving method from FCA or something dumb. I don't think any of these has to do with the capless system, most vehicles are capless and work fine, they must be doing something stupid inside of the filler neck like making it too thin, or splash gas triggering the pump to trip its venturi valve or something.

GA_Rebel

Reaction score
At my local BJs out of the 10 pumps they have. 4 don't work and 1 works. 1 of the pumps shut down both sides I think for safety and the person on the other side had to go to another pump also.
I didn't think gas tanks really changed over the years, shocking how in 2022 we are having this problem. Must of been a cost saving method from FCA or something dumb. I don't think any of these has to do with the capless system, most vehicles are capless and work fine, they must be doing something stupid inside of the filler neck like making it too thin, or splash gas triggering the pump to trip its venturi valve or something.

There are several stations I have always had trouble with, but the stations that I always use (limited in my area and where I work) have not been an issue until the past few months, which is the same thing that happened the previous time. It progressively got worse until I couldn't pump fuel at any stations or my 300 gallon tank at my home (much slower pump so it was my last resort until my local Ram could get the truck in for repair). I have had success rocking the nozzle in the filler neck and getting it to work. I would simply prefer to get way from the capless system (not that it is an option) as it is less stuff to go bad.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop right this second. I got this diagnosis:

View attachment 136233

There is a tsb for the issue I have. I got the above message from the Service department...earlier today. So, apparently yeah...it is a common issue. They are telling me that the fix is the Vapor Canister.
Apparently changing the Vapor Canister worked for me. I haven't had the issue again since it was replaced. After filling my tank 4 times or so, the issue seems fixed.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine would occasionally shut off but the last two fill ups have been a real bear. Last week, I got almost a full tank in with about 20 click offs. Today I was only able to get about three gallons and probably 1/2 gallon of that spewed up and down the side of the truck. No other choice but to head to the dealer with it.

Scrambler

Reaction score
You should be good now. 2020 2500 Laramie 6.4 hemi, bigger gas tank also. I had the same thing happen last winter. Could not fill my gas tank and went to 3 different gas stations and was very slow at filling. Come to fine out it was with the vapor canister but the check valve itself. Whenever you shut the truck off the valve should always be open so when you fill your gas tank there is a place for the vapors to go thru which is the vapor canister. So, for the tech to diagnose the problem he took truck to gas station and began to fill tank and could not. So, to bypass the problem he climbed under truck to gas tank and removed a hose to let air, vapors, out of tank and bypassed the check valve. Ordered new check valve and has been good ever since. So in the end it was the check valve and not the canister tank. Inside of the canister tank is some type of charcoal filter system that the EPA dreamed up years ago......This was just my results of a very very slow filling gas tank with my truck......
you mention they replaced the check valve. Could you please share the check valve p/n with us? I would assume it should be on your receipt from the dealer.

Scrambler

Reaction score
Can anyone supply the check valve part number mentioned/described above? I am working my way thru replacement parts starting with the cheapest first.

On this and another thread, the vapor canister replacement did the trick. This didn't work for me and I used the updated 2 canister version.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
you mention they replaced the check valve. Could you please share the check valve p/n with us? I would assume it should be on your receipt from the dealer.

Scrambler I wish I still had the work order, p/n for you but I do not. I have not had any problem since this was replaced. I actually seen the check valve and looked like a real simple device, and I believe it had a set of wires to the valve also so when you shut the truck off the valve will be open.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update they are replacing the filler tube and tank on my truck. They originally thought it was just the filler tube but now they said the tank as well. Good news is they are only charging me for the filler tube and said they got Chrysler to pay for the tank even though I'm out of Warrenty.

Last edited:

Jray22

Reaction score
Well, glad I found this thread. I have a 22’ that is about a month old. I’m pretty positive I have this issue. First fill up was just fine, On my second fill up pump kept shutting off after 17 gallons. I though it was weird as I knew i had less than 100 miles of range. I stopped at another station the issue was actually worse. I guess if it happens again it’s off to the dealer to address the issue and some other issues.

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

Eric J.

Reaction score
My 2020 BTS just started doing this after I had it in for an oil change and tire rotation at local Ram dealer. I have tried 4 different gas stations and always the same issue. I can only trickle the gas in and it takes forever. I only have about 22k miles on it. Does anyone have a documented case where Ram fixed it that can be used as a reference when contacting my local service center? Has RamCares assisted anyone with this issue yet?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Well, glad I found this thread. I have a 22’ that is about a month old. I’m pretty positive I have this issue. First fill up was just fine, On my second fill up pump kept shutting off after 17 gallons. I though it was weird as I knew i had less than 100 miles of range. I stopped at another station the issue was actually worse. I guess if it happens again it’s off to the dealer to address the issue and some other issues.
tell us a little about your truck

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 BTS just started doing this after I had it in for an oil change and tire rotation at local Ram dealer. I have tried 4 different gas stations and always the same issue. I can only trickle the gas in and it takes forever. I only have about 22k miles on it. Does anyone have a documented case where Ram fixed it that can be used as a reference when contacting my local service center? Has RamCares assisted anyone with this issue yet?
They did a fuel tank redesign so there are plenty of documented cases. I do not think you will get any pushback. Take the service advisor to the gas station with you if they want to argue it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They did a fuel tank redesign so there are plenty of documented cases. I do not think you will get any pushback. Take the service advisor to the gas station with you if they want to argue it.
Lol a redeisgn.
I got my 2022 in March of this year (custom build) and I have the tank problem.
I just try to only go to pumps that work for for me. Generally 40% of the pumps at any given station will work.

Users who are viewing this thread