5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's
You need more than just a few posts on a forum to say its common. I have the 33 g and have no issues filling up at many gas stations around the west. Does not matter what speed i use.
💯 agree. If was so common there would be tsb about it? 2021 ram no tsb for hard to fuel. My 19, 20 and 22 Ram has had zero issues.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's

💯 agree. If was so common there would be tsb about it? 2021 ram no tsb for hard to fuel. My 19, 20 and 22 Ram has had zero issues.
It is a common problem.
I have seen over 10 people with the problem, are you going to tell me that problems with eTorque are rare too next?

Just because you don't have the problem doesn't mean it isn't common.
People at stealerships say whatever the hell they want to
Make you look like the idiot
Push blame to you
Refuse warranty claims

I posted this on another thread (or maybe even this one) watch it so you can learn how the pumps work.

This is why pumping slowly depending on the angle allows it "work" while going all in makes it shut off on the faulty tanks.
Different places uses different pumps that fit differently.
At one of my local BJs, I can only use 2 pumps out of the 8. Another nearby BJs ALL of the pumps have the problem, but some worse then others due to how it's fitting in my tank.

This is NOT a common problem on other cars\trucks, I have only seen or heard about this on Rams, it's a poor design and quality control on Ram's part due to the fact some people have tanks that are fine. My truck is a 22 that is only a couple months old and I have the problem, but this dates back to all of the 5th gens so they clearly didn't fix their manufacturing problem.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah Silver, I was surprised when I heard that the Service tech implied that it was a rare occurrence. I had even called them to make sure they weren't busy before my truck went in and the person I spoke to said sometimes the Check Engine Light is triggered by a fuel evap issue. Fyi, my truck went into a Ram dealership for service.

I read through most of this post and have seen a few comments about how you can just fuel up differently and that several other models of cars have this issue. Well, I don't believe that they experience the same issue. This is not something that is happening when just fueling fast, it happens at any speed.

Obviously this is a common occurrence.
They didn't do a complete redesign because there was nothing wrong with the design. They did it because there were too many complaints and the engineering guys at Ram determined the best way to resolve it is redesign it. You cant rationally argue against that regardless of the frequency of the problem.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is a common problem.
I have seen over 10 people with the problem, are you going to tell me that problems with eTorque are rare too next?

Push blame to you
Refuse warranty claims

I posted this on another thread (or maybe even this one) watch it so you can learn how the pumps work.

This is why pumping slowly depending on the angle allows it "work" while going all in makes it shut off on the faulty tanks.
At one of my local BJs, I can only use 2 pumps out of the 8. Another nearby BJs ALL of the pumps have the problem, but some worse then others due to how it's fitting in my tank.

This is NOT a common problem on other cars\trucks, I have only seen or heard about this on Rams, it's a poor design and quality control on Ram's part due to the fact some people have tanks that are fine. My truck is a 22 that is only a couple months old and I have the problem, but this dates back

It's

Then why did Ram do a complete redesign of the tank internals? Obviously there is some component failure that the engineers thought warranted the redesign. Just because yours didn't break yet doesn't mean it wont.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Step into a dealership service department and see some of the work that technicians perform. I’ve been a technician for 16 years at a dealer, i’ve seen techs **** up **** that a five-year-old could do with their eyes closed with no issues.
Dude I hear you. There are idiots in every service business.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
It's

You mean like this one?

It's what they told me of, when they replaced the filler neck for the second time (with the new one) on my '21

...though it's now in AGAIN... and this time they're apparently replacing the fuel pump (I don't see how that's going to fix the issue at all)

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop right this second. I got this diagnosis:

1659734155917.png

There is a tsb for the issue I have. I got the above message from the Service department...earlier today. So, apparently yeah...it is a common issue. They are telling me that the fix is the Vapor Canister.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean like this one?

It's what they told me of, when they replaced the filler neck for the second time (with the new one) on my '21

...though it's now in AGAIN... and this time they're apparently replacing the fuel pump (I don't see how that's going to fix the issue at all)
Right a tsb to replace the fuel tank
You mean like this one?

Yup your are correct, doesn't say anything about replacing a fuel tank or filler in that tsb.

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Right a tsb to replace the fuel tank

Yup your are correct, doesn't say anything about replacing a fuel tank or filler in that tsb.
That's because they try everything they can to not replace the tank, but ultimately that's where this is going to end up

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's because they try everything they can to not replace the tank, but ultimately that's where this is going to end up
Yup you are correct. They don't want to fix it. What kind of knowledge you going to drop next?

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Yup you are correct. They don't want to fix it. What kind of knowledge you going to drop next?
They do, they just aren't going to start with the most expensive part when it's under warranty.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I am skeptical that the change they are making to my truck will fix the issue but I'll see. They are not replacing the fuel tank just the vapor canister. I'll be sure to share my results.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
I am skeptical that the change they are making to my truck will fix the issue but I'll see. They are not replacing the fuel tank just the vapor canister. I'll be sure to share my results.

You should be good now. 2020 2500 Laramie 6.4 hemi, bigger gas tank also. I had the same thing happen last winter. Could not fill my gas tank and went to 3 different gas stations and was very slow at filling. Come to fine out it was with the vapor canister but the check valve itself. Whenever you shut the truck off the valve should always be open so when you fill your gas tank there is a place for the vapors to go thru which is the vapor canister. So, for the tech to diagnose the problem he took truck to gas station and began to fill tank and could not. So, to bypass the problem he climbed under truck to gas tank and removed a hose to let air, vapors, out of tank and bypassed the check valve. Ordered new check valve and has been good ever since. So in the end it was the check valve and not the canister tank. Inside of the canister tank is some type of charcoal filter system that the EPA dreamed up years ago......This was just my results of a very very slow filling gas tank with my truck......

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is a common problem.

Push blame to you
Refuse warranty claims

This is NOT a common problem on other cars\trucks, I have only seen or heard about this on Rams, it's a poor design and quality control on Ram's part due to the fact some people have tanks that are fine. My truck is a 22 that is only a couple months old and I have the problem, but this dates back to all of the 5th gens so they clearly didn't fix their manufacturing problem.
Rriigghhtt. At least 10 people on this forum have the fuel problem. And that is out of how many rams sold in the world? 10% might be a chronic problem, but then, I am guessing that even given the element of error, there are a lot more than 100 trucks sold worldwide. 10 trucks is nothing. But, if it is your truck, it is a pain, yes, but don't blow it up into something it isn't.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Rriigghhtt. At least 10 people on this forum have the fuel problem. And that is out of how many rams sold in the world? 10% might be a chronic problem, but then, I am guessing that even given the element of error, there are a lot more than 100 trucks sold worldwide. 10 trucks is nothing. But, if it is your truck, it is a pain, yes, but don't blow it up into something it isn't.
correct
according to triple_b's chart of the members registered they are up to VIN 442131 starting at VIN 100001 that is 342130 trucks we know about. 10% is 34213 and I doubt it is that high or we would hear more about it.
but I agree when it is your truck you are pissed (not you)
most people who come to forums do so because they are looking for a solution to a problem they are having. this tips the scale to make the problem is worse than it really is.

Users who are viewing this thread