5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New HEMI Motor timelines

davis2885

Reaction score
So at the beginning of 2023 I got the dreaded HEMI Tick (this is the second time I got this, also had it on my 2014 Ram). I took it to my dealer who tried to do the warranty exhaust repair and told me the tick was "drive train noise", for which I knew better and made them immediately address the correct issue. Any way I dropped the truck off in early April for the repair to the bearing/rod/cam and was notified that metal shavings were found in the oil pan and that they were going to be replacing the entire motor under warranty. My new motor took till mid June to come in and now they are still waiting on a new intake manifold to come in and it is almost August and I have yet to get my truck back. We are going on almost 4 months now.

Any way, I was curious if others have had similar experiences with how long it has taken to get the truck repaired. I am at the point where I want to freak the hell out on the dealer but I am trying to be patient since I am kinda of handcuffed and at the mercy of the dealer. Any advice or feedback would be great!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate to say it but you’re stuck and as you said at the mercy of the dealership. It’s a waiting game now. I would see if the dealership will pay the car note for the months your vehicle was inoperable. (Which is a long shot) good luck.

davis2885

Reaction score
I hate to say it but you’re stuck and as you said at the mercy of the dealership. It’s a waiting game now. I would see if the dealership will pay the car note for the months your vehicle was inoperable. (Which is a long shot) good luck.
I've put like 7K miles on the Jeep Rubicon loaner they gave me. So I've just kept to my self about the monetary side of things at this point. Thanks for the feedback!

BTB123

Reaction score
These long waits seem to be more common than they should be. Sorry this is going on. I agree, right now you’re better off just checking in and seeing if there is any progress. Going off on the dealer at this point probably will do more harm than good.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the inevitable Theta II engine failure back in 2021. At 75k miles, one of the crank bearings seized and it was all over.
One of the biggest dealers in Omaha had my vehicle for a total of 6 months. I had 4 different loaners as they sold them out from under me or I racked up too many miles for them to sell as 'new'. It was ok, they drove the next loaner to me and I was never put out too much, except when I got a cracked windshield in the first loaner. I had to put an OEM replacment in and it cost me my insurance deductible.
There's not much to do if they are treating you reasonably well.

Oh, and that was the vehicle I traded in for my RAM in July '22.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the dealer that would be paying his loan payment, it would be RAM, and all he needs to do is request it.

SacRebel

Reaction score
My 2019 is in the shop waiting for the engine to be rebuilt at 31k miles. This comes after a total engine replacement at 21k and a new transmission a month later. In total my truck has sat on the dealer lot for about 5 months.

The dealer gave me a loaner but I’m still having to rent a truck periodically for work.

Nonetheless, I sued FCA under the Lemon Law Act last fall. Arbitration is scheduled in October. FCA will be buying the truck back, reimbursing me for all my out of pocket expenses and paying a **** load in attorney fees.

To the OP, get the part number of what they’re waiting for and get on the phone and start calling other dealerships. I guarantee you’ll find it within an hour or two. The problem will be getting your dealer to act quickly enough to get it and be willing to pay retail for it.

#LawyerUp

GMetal

Reaction score
Why do they need a new intake manifold?

davis2885

Reaction score
My 2019 is in the shop waiting for the engine to be rebuilt at 31k miles. This comes after a total engine replacement at 21k and a new transmission a month later. In total my truck has sat on the dealer lot for about 5 months.

The dealer gave me a loaner but I’m still having to rent a truck periodically for work.

Nonetheless, I sued FCA under the Lemon Law Act last fall. Arbitration is scheduled in October. FCA will be buying the truck back, reimbursing me for all my out of pocket expenses and paying a **** load in attorney fees.

To the OP, get the part number of what they’re waiting for and get on the phone and start calling other dealerships. I guarantee you’ll find it within an hour or two. The problem will be getting your dealer to act quickly enough to get it and be willing to pay retail for it.

#LawyerUp
Holy crap man. In all honesty I have been toying with this as well. Mine is a 2019 too and I have had 3 rear windows, 4 injectors fail, mirror fall off, exhaust manifold and now the entire motor. Warranty runs out in sept too 😳

davis2885

Reaction score
Why do they need a new intake manifold?
I asked the same question. Apparently the metal shaving in the old motors oil pan means they cannot reuse the old manifold. **** made no sense to me and I even offered to remove the old one and clean it so they can use it

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I asked the same question. Apparently the metal shaving in the old motors oil pan means they cannot reuse the old manifold. **** made no sense to me and I even offered to remove the old one and clean it so they can use it
Unless the engine grenaded, I call BS on any damage to the intake manifold. Since you are just killing time anyway, have them physically show you why the original manifold can't be used. If they resist, tell them your attorney asked to see pics...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the engine grenaded, I call BS on any damage to the intake manifold. Since you are just killing time anyway, have them physically show you why the original manifold can't be used. If they resist, tell them your attorney asked to see pics...
It's not that the I take is damaged, but metal can get into the intake manifold, and reusing it can i troeuce that metal into the new engine.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It's not that the I take is damaged, but metal can get into the intake manifold, and reusing it can i troeuce that metal into the new engine.
I understand the intake is plastic, but air coming into it isn't under pressure. If your telling me that that metal shavings have somehow etched their way into the manifold, I'm not convinced. That's why I suggested the OP have them show him. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but that if the dealer is going to make him wait half a year to get his truck, make them prove it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the intake is plastic, but air coming into it isn't under pressure. If your telling me that that metal shavings have somehow etched their way into the manifold, I'm not convinced. That's why I suggested the OP have them show him. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but that if the dealer is going to make him wait half a year to get his truck, make them prove it.
The bottom of the intake manifold isn't solid. It's not getting into the runners.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Holy crap man. In all honesty I have been toying with this as well. Mine is a 2019 too and I have had 3 rear windows, 4 injectors fail, mirror fall off, exhaust manifold and now the entire motor. Warranty runs out in sept too

A word of advice to all..

When you get the offer to buy a Mopar extended warranty do it. The price is even negotiable if you find a comparable third party warranty to pit them against.

After the first engine I was talking to the service manger at the dealer and told him about the extended warranty offer, he didn’t even hesitate in saying buy it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

When you get the offer to buy a Mopar extended warranty do it. The price is even negotiable if you find a comparable third party warranty to pit them against.

After the first engine I was talking to the service manger at the dealer and told him about the extended warranty offer, he didn’t even hesitate in saying buy it.
Well, the service manager isn't paying for it

davis2885

Reaction score

Might I ask whom you used for your extended?

RamCares

Reaction score
So at the beginning of 2023 I got the dreaded HEMI Tick (this is the second time I got this, also had it on my 2014 Ram). I took it to my dealer who tried to do the warranty exhaust repair and told me the tick was "drive train noise", for which I knew better and made them immediately address the correct issue. Any way I dropped the truck off in early April for the repair to the bearing/rod/cam and was notified that metal shavings were found in the oil pan and that they were going to be replacing the entire motor under warranty. My new motor took till mid June to come in and now they are still waiting on a new intake manifold to come in and it is almost August and I have yet to get my truck back. We are going on almost 4 months now.

Any way, I was curious if others have had similar experiences with how long it has taken to get the truck repaired. I am at the point where I want to freak the hell out on the dealer but I am trying to be patient since I am kinda of handcuffed and at the mercy of the dealer. Any advice or feedback would be great!
Hi Davis,

We can certainly understand how this situation could be frustrating and do hear your sentiments. If you'd like an extra layer of support during this, please reach out to us via private message. Or, if you have a case open with Ram Cares, please send us a message with that case number.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread