5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New for 2022 - Owner's Pics

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's probably your gears.
Mine coasts down normally, etorque regen doesn't engage unless the foot brake is applied or you're driving really slowly. I believe I've felt it when coasting under 20 mph in a neighborhood but when coasting on the highway, not at all
Nah, that's not it. I didn't drive on the highway, but it was noticeable driving two trucks back to back...one with and one without eTorque.

BowDown

Reaction score
Nah, that's not it. I didn't drive on the highway, but it was noticeable driving two trucks back to back...one with and one without eTorque.

I don't know then, mine doesn't do that. My previous 3.92 truck slowed pretty quickly when you let off the gas though. I made the mistake of adding too much gear to my old big block charger and had the same effect, like it was pulling a trailer when you let off the gas.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, new for this year, not sure if it's standard on all trims or just certain ones.

20211031_170627-jpg.109670

Long sigh, now I want one

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I've read about eTorque states that it uses regenerative braking "during coasting or light braking". Which leads me to believe that it will pull you down if you're not "on the accelerator".

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything I've read about eTorque states that it uses regenerative braking "during coasting or light braking". Which leads me to believe that it will pull you down if you're not "on the accelerator".
Yeah, it's always hard to tell for sure but I feel like my coast slows down faster/is shorter than I'm used to, especially considering this is a heavy-*** truck. They say it saves your brakes a little so I guess that's why, don't need to brake as hard or for as long. It's not bad per say, just different.

Last edited:

firedfly

Reaction score
Yeah, it's always hard to tell for sure but I feel like my coast slows down faster/is shorter than I'm used to, especially considering this is a heavy-*** truck. They say it saves your brakes a little so I guess that's why, don't need to brake as hard or for as long. It's not bad per say, just different.
In some EVs, you hardly need to use the brake. So, it certainly saves the brakes there. I doubt it does much with the truck. The regenerative braking is minimal and, from my understanding, is primarily used to charge the eTorque battery.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Yes, new for this year, not sure if it's standard on all trims or just certain ones.
Supposedly its part of the Trailer Tow Package, but it would appear it's more broadly installed than that. Of course the MY22 brochure lists NOTHING of contents of any packages and the B&P tool is way off so who knows. It stinks that everything is in flux so bad right now.

The correct term for it is "Trailer Hitch Light" according to the OM.

firedfly

Reaction score
Supposedly its part of the Trailer Tow Package, but it would appear it's more broadly installed than that. Of course the MY22 brochure lists NOTHING of contents of any packages and the B&P tool is way off so who knows. It stinks that everything is in flux so bad right now.

My Limited has that as well. I'll try to get some pictures of the truck posted tomorrow.

BowDown

Reaction score

You have ET according to your sig, get on the road then coast and see if the ET generator slows your truck during coasting. The FCA etorque video stated low speed coasting, not highway or surface street speeds.
When I originally started looking a new Ram, I read the same thing on etorque and said no, I don't want that as that would be counter productive to fuel mileage however after watching the video, I learned that it doesn't work that way, from any speed, only during slow coasting.
But again, you have one so take a drive and see for yourself

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have ET according to your sig, get on the road then coast and see if the ET generator slows your truck during coasting. The FCA etorque video stated low speed coasting, not highway or surface street speeds.
When I originally started looking a new Ram, I read the same thing on etorque and said no, I don't want that as that would be counter productive to fuel mileage however after watching the video, I learned that it doesn't work that way, from any speed, only during slow coasting.
But again, you have one so take a drive and see for yourself
I do not have one yet. Mine is still on order (D status).

BowDown

Reaction score

My Limited has that as well. I'll try to get some pictures of the truck posted tomorrow.

So I'm guessing there's probably a wire tied into the doors opening/puddle/interior lights that triggers it so retrofitting it may be a little tough

BowDown

Reaction score
I do not have one yet. Mine is still on order (D status).

Ahh, I see.
I can tell you that in the 15 months I've had it, I've only felt etorque slowing the truck when I was going less than 25 mph. You can physically feel the extra braking, its not like someone slammed on the brakes but like a subtle extra brake, almost like trailer brakes engaging if you've ever pulled a trailer with trailer brakes, just a lot less subtle.
I'd buy it again

firedfly

Reaction score
So I'm guessing there's probably a wire tied into the doors opening/puddle/interior lights that triggers it so retrofitting it may be a little tough
I'll have to verify next time I'm at the truck. However, I believe the trailer hitch light comes on whenever the bed lights come on. So, you might be able to tap into the bed lights if you wanted to retrofit the trailer hitch light.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'll have to verify next time I'm at the truck. However, I believe the trailer hitch light comes on whenever the bed lights come on. So, you might be able to tap into the bed lights if you wanted to retrofit the trailer hitch light.
Ahh, yes. Forgot about the bed lights and they are right there in that area

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Said I would do it. Maybe this can get stickied? Until 2023 orders start coming in anyway. Here's mine. Post em if you got em!
Hey any chance they added auto folding mirrors with UC5?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score

My Laramie has this and I Did Not order the tow package. Ordered the PF tow mirrors and brake controller separate. Will be great for hooking to the trailer at night. P1010003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread