5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New engine

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let’s go already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just saw that the new tundra will have a v6 hybrid which will get over 30 mpg . hope the new ecodiesel will get that in a 4x4

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just saw that the new tundra will have a v6 hybrid which will get over 30 mpg . hope the new ecodiesel will get that in a 4x4

Mild hybrid I read..

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30 mpg is absolutely possible. This pick of my 4th gen mileage (Pentastar v6, no eTorque) earlier this week. Went from Martinsburg, WV to West Point, NY for my niece’s graduation. Had a couple hundred pounds of cargo, me and my wife. Cruise set to 65-70.

Attachments

• 32CD13FE-DD68-4D0D-8A90-8E427CE0479C.jpeg
    32CD13FE-DD68-4D0D-8A90-8E427CE0479C.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
30 mpg is absolutely possible. This pick of my 4th gen mileage (Pentastar v6, no eTorque) earlier this week. Went from Martinsburg, WV to West Point, NY for my niece’s graduation. Had a couple hundred pounds of cargo, me and my wife. Cruise set to 65-70.

Instant computer read outs don't count. Hand calculations only.

I have that same 3.6 in my Jeep with a really really tall last gear (think my rear end is 3.09 or something horrid like that). Best I can get, in a smaller/lighter Jeep with the same engine, is about 26 mpg, hand calculated, coming down the Canadian shield, with a gas pump literally on each end of the trip and also literally only 1 acceleration from 0 to 110 KM/h with the rest being just maintaining speed. No cruise control (that worsens your MPG, BTW), just feathering the pedal and strolling along in the right lane.

It was just me in the Jeep, and I was lightly loaded. The trip was 2 hours and 45 mins. I do have AT tires (Cooper AT3) but shouldn't do much damage.

But we're talking Toyota here; their current trucks are the worst in the industry for MPG. They're not going to manage going from 15 MPG to 30 MPG in one generation.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first gen ED is already close to the upper 20’s in MPG.. What I have read, the improvements on 2nd gen are all focused on better MPGs. I wouldn’t be surprised if this new Engine gets 30.

Reactions: Doc

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not an instant mpg reading, that’s an average over several hundred miles. the truck was sitting still when I snapped the picture. Not hand calculated but still pretty impressive 30.6mpg. That’s not typical but I easily achieve 25-28 at those speeds using cruise.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the '15 EcoDiesel i drove averaged 24-26 mpg city commute, 26-30 mpg interstate travel.

silver billet

Reaction score
That’s not an instant mpg reading, that’s an average over several hundred miles. the truck was sitting still when I snapped the picture. Not hand calculated but still pretty impressive 30.6mpg. That’s not typical but I easily achieve 25-28 at those speeds using cruise.

Not trying to be argumentative, but those computer numbers are notoriously "off". It's not impressive until it's hand calculated :)

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative, but those computer numbers are notoriously "off". It's not impressive until it's hand calculated :)
What I was trying to relay is that if a truck/gas engine designed 10 years ago without a hybrid can deliver mileage near 30mpg, then Toyota should be able to deliver 30mpg with a newly designed mild hybrid engine in a full size truck.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The F150 with the V6 PowerStroke will do 30mpg. It is possible.

...if that's all you care about.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed the dual exhaust in the article

Firebird

Reaction score
My 2014 EcoDiesel got 31 mpg at 70 mph hand calculated. Was a 4x4 Longhorn. I'm in Florida though, so reasonably flat

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
They're not very "off" anymore, it's not 2004. TFL guys regularly get within a few tenths and I do as well. Mine is actually lower on the readout most of the time vs hand calculated.

silver billet

Reaction score
They're not very "off" anymore, it's not 2004. TFL guys regularly get within a few tenths and I do as well. Mine is actually lower on the readout most of the time vs hand calculated.

No they don't, that's the thing. TFL has a long term rebel, and the gauge is always quite optimistic compared to their hand calcs. And any gauge showing 30 MPG, average, in a heavy 2019 gas Ram is going to be "off", I'm sorry, it just is.

Users who are viewing this thread