5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 3.0L Inline-6 has arrived

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came across this leaked photo:
E583E55B-4B0A-4507-9175-64B8919E2935.jpeg

F3054106-5945-4995-BAB5-490A40DB97C9.png
More info now available:

Standard output: 400 hp / 450 lb-ft

High Output: 500 hp / 475 lb-ft

“90 percent of peak torque available from 2,350 rpm to redline”

Engine weight
SO 3.0L: 430 lbs
HO 3.0L: 441 lbs
5.7L V8: 485 lbs

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is a bit more info on the engine, apparently coming in two flavors, a SO & HO version and can fit in any vehicle in the Stellantis lineup that has the 3.6L or 5.7L fitted. Based on the specs, this engine even in the lower power configuration easily out powers & torques the 5.7L Hemi. So the writing is on the wall there, I'm hoping they find a way to stick the 6.4L Hemi as a V8 option, even then it's outgunned by the HO I6 motor. But even Ford, which is big on turbos, making up 75% of their truck sales, still offers the 5.0L V8.

Quotes from the article....

"Stellantis says the standard-output engine will deliver more than 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, with the final output figures to be determined by the individual brands utilizing the new mill. The lesser-power version has a 10.4:1 compression ratio, and its intake charge is pressurized by the twin turbos with up to 22.4 pounds of boost before being chilled by a water-to-air intercooler. The junior 3.0-liter will rev to 5800 rpm and operate on 87 octane, though 91 is recommended.

The high-output version is set to deliver more than 500 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of twist, putting it on par with BMW's strongest six-cylinder offering. The compression ratio is lowered to 9.5:1 to accommodate the 26.0 psi delivered from the larger turbos through a dual-inlet intake. The high-output engine features its own cylinder head, crankshaft, larger water-to-air intercooler, and forged aluminum pistons (vs. the standard-output's cast pieces) and will rev slightly higher, to 6100 rpm, although well off the glorious 7200-rpm wail of BMW’s singing six. To generate all this wonderful power, 91 octane will be required."

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Here is a bit more info on the engine, apparently coming in two flavors, a SO & HO version and can fit in any vehicle in the Stellantis lineup that has the 3.6L or 5.7L fitted. Based on the specs, this engine even in the lower power configuration easily out powers & torques the 5.7L Hemi. So the writing is on the wall there, I'm hoping they find a way to stick the 6.4L Hemi as a V8 option, even then it's outgunned by the HO I6 motor. But even Ford, which is big on turbos, making up 75% of their truck sales, still offers the 5.0L V8.

Quotes from the article....

"Stellantis says the standard-output engine will deliver more than 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, with the final output figures to be determined by the individual brands utilizing the new mill. The lesser-power version has a 10.4:1 compression ratio, and its intake charge is pressurized by the twin turbos with up to 22.4 pounds of boost before being chilled by a water-to-air intercooler. The junior 3.0-liter will rev to 5800 rpm and operate on 87 octane, though 91 is recommended.

The high-output version is set to deliver more than 500 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of twist, putting it on par with BMW's strongest six-cylinder offering. The compression ratio is lowered to 9.5:1 to accommodate the 26.0 psi delivered from the larger turbos through a dual-inlet intake. The high-output engine features its own cylinder head, crankshaft, larger water-to-air intercooler, and forged aluminum pistons (vs. the standard-output's cast pieces) and will rev slightly higher, to 6100 rpm, although well off the glorious 7200-rpm wail of BMW’s singing six. To generate all this wonderful power, 91 octane will be required."

I know turbo engines have been around for awhile but theres something about 26 psi out of a turbo in a daily driver seems scary to me lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I know turbo engines have been around for awhile but theres something about 26 psi out of a turbo in a daily driver seems scary to me lol

I hear you, I am impressed with these new motors, their power and specs is impressive. But one of the reasons why I traded in my F150 Ecoboost (which I adored) for a RAM was because of that V8 sound and rumble.

There is a sense of occasion that the sound it produces has, especially with my aftermarket muffler, that no V6 will be able to produce. Even at $6 bucks a gallon here in Cali, I still rather have a thirsty Hemi in my truck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I hear you, I am impressed with these new motors, their power and specs is impressive. But one of the reasons why I traded in my F150 Ecoboost (which I adored) for a RAM was because of that V8 sound and rumble.

There is a sense of occasion that the sound it produces has, especially with my aftermarket muffler, that no V6 will be able to produce. Even at $6 bucks a gallon here in Cali, I still rather have a thirsty Hemi in my truck.
I agree. The 6 cylinders will never sound as good as the old tried and true V8. As far as gas mileage is concerned, my coworkers f150 3.6 (I think it is) eco boost is a pretty quick truck but gets near identical mpg as my Ram 5.7 so I call BS on fuel efficiency reasons as to why the change to 6 cylinder turbos

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree. The 6 cylinders will never sound as good as the old tried and true V8. As far as gas mileage is concerned, my coworkers f150 3.6 (I think it is) eco boost is a pretty quick truck but gets near identical mpg as my Ram 5.7 so I call BS on fuel efficiency reasons as to why the change to 6 cylinder turbos

I think it depends on your own variables. Like with most turbos, the Ecoboost should be called Eco or Boost. You can have one, but not both.

However, I drove a very specific route for years and I was able to do a pretty good mpg comparison, at least with my driving habits. My Ecoboost averaged about 18 mpg on regular gas. In my Rebel, I'm barely getting 13 mpg on the same cycle, using 89 or higher. Plus my Ecoboost was clearly faster. But again, it sounded like an Accord, so the Hemi still wins it for me. It's fast enough, and now that I work from home, the mpg isn't that big a deal.

From what I read, due to more strict CO2 requirements, the I6 was developed to meet that requirement, which is something the current 5.7L cannot do. Also, the I6 is supposed to bridge the gap between gas and full EV. It was designed specifically to integrate with future hybrid systems in mind, so we could see a RAM 1500 with a I6 and plug-in hybrid system, then a full EV truck.

The future is coming sooner than expected, enjoy your V8s for as long as you can!

Last edited:

Rebel2022

Reaction score
While it will take some getting used to I think this I6 could potentially sound pretty decent. I6 has a lot of advantages over a V6 sound included and really the main downside is fitting it into vehicles which they have overcome so we’ll see.

BNeal

Reaction score
The 500 ponies sounds intriguing, but just not interested in a 6-banger for a truck.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Turbos are a complicated mess, let alone two turbos. I assume this is direct injection with a wastegate that dumps into the intake? Carbon build up on the valves should be a nice treat after a few thousand miles and we won't even get the joy of blow-off noise

Kaderast

Reaction score
I think it depends on your own variables. Like with most turbos, the Ecoboost should be called Eco or Boost. You can have one, but not both.

However, I drove a very specific route for years and I was able to do a pretty good mpg comparison, at least with my driving habits. My Ecoboost averaged about 18 mpg on regular gas. In my Rebel, I'm barely getting 13 mpg on the same cycle, using 89 or higher. Plus my Ecoboost was clearly faster. But again, it sounded like an Accord, so the Hemi still wins it for me. It's fast enough, and now that I work from home, the mpg isn't that big a deal.

From what I read, due to more strict CO2 requirements, the I6 was developed to meet that requirement, which is something the current 5.7L cannot do. Also, the I6 is supposed to bridge the gap between gas and full EV. It was designed specifically to integrate with future hybrid systems in mind, so we could see a RAM 1500 with a I6 and plug-in hybrid system, then a full EV truck.

The future is coming sooner than expected, enjoy your V8s for as long as you can!
I would love to have seen a plug in hybrid truck years ago. Originally Rivian was planning one, but ditched it and went straight to the full EV. If Ram ends up making one paired with this new I6 engine, I will be trading in my Hemi right away.

Seems kind of doubtful the plug in hybrid truck will happen at this point, otherwise I feel like we would have seen it already. It would be nice to have a truck that runs electric for the first 30-40 miles (95% of my daily driving) then has the ICE for towing and long trips.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds very competitive. Wonder why they went with Air to Liquid cooling instead of Air to Air.

I wonder if the HO version will be for special editions only, or you'll be able to get it in any 1500 RAM pickup.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
i think a twin turbo hybrid version would be awesome. people complain about the v8 sound missing.........well then the aftermarket needs to step up and create mufflers to provide this in the absence of an actual v8 sitting in the engine bay sucking down gas.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it only weighs 430 lbs. That's more payload boys.

Interested to see how GCWR is affected. The ecoD has less GCWR than a Hemi...so, will be interesting.

Straight 6 engines have a great history with Mopar. Anxious to see and drive one.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It won't solve the Ram thirst for fuel. Just look at the Ford Ecoboosts MPG.

We won't know that till we get real world numbers. I assure you it will get better on the EPA testing.

3.5 Ecoboost does get around 1-2 better and 2.7 Ecoboost gets more than double that better.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It won't solve the Ram thirst for fuel. Just look at the Ford Ecoboosts MPG.
Depends alot your right foot. You use the 'boost' and you lose the mpg quick!

We also have a Ford 2.7L SuperCrew 4x4, that will walk on my 3.92 Hemi, and still gets 20-21 mpg with my wife driving.. For comparison my Hemi gets mid/high 15's on the same exact commute. Mine sounds a ****ton better doing it though. :cool: When trying, I can manage 23mpg in the Ford on that same commute (we work in the same complex and alternate vehicles).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love to have seen a plug in hybrid truck years ago. Originally Rivian was planning one, but ditched it and went straight to the full EV. If Ram ends up making one paired with this new I6 engine, I will be trading in my Hemi right away.

Seems kind of doubtful the plug in hybrid truck will happen at this point, otherwise I feel like we would have seen it already. It would be nice to have a truck that runs electric for the first 30-40 miles (95% of my daily driving) then has the ICE for towing and long trips.
They plan on hybrids in all their vehicles soon

Users who are viewing this thread