5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 21 Laramie owner coming from F150

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I am a new Ram 1500 Laramie owner coming from an 18 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I had a 21 3.5 Ecoboost F150 on order, but Ford just cannot get trucks on the lot and they are not willing to deal. The deal was pretty tremendous I think on this though. It would have been silly for me to pass this one up.

I just got it on Friday, but so far I am impressed with the feature set. I was not looking to get a V8 due to gas mileage, but I am hoping this ends up working out well for me.
I will be adding some videos to my Youtube channel since there is no 21 content yet. I will be adding gas mileage info once the thing gets a couple tanks through it and the DTE actually works properly and has a chance to properly break in and calculate MPG's

Only thing that I am trying not to get worried about is that a P219A code popped up at 77 miles on the truck. I cannot clear it so I need to wait until I can get to the dealer tomorrow to have them clear it and reassess.

We all know it didn't really happen with no pics, so here are pics. This one has everything other than the pano roof and the HUD/Camera rear mirror and the advanced towing package stuff. Coming from my Ford XLT trim though, I feel like I am back in a Luxury car which I have been missing with my F150.

Hopefully it is ok for me to add this video here if anyone really cares to hear about my deal I got and why I switched. If the community is OK with it, I will eventually post my thoughts as well once I have some time with the truck

Attachments

• Ram quarter.jpg
    Ram quarter.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 127
  • ram quarter other side.jpg
    ram quarter other side.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 125
  • ram quarter back.jpg
    ram quarter back.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 122
  • ram interior.jpg
    ram interior.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 118
  • ram interior driver.jpg
    ram interior driver.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ram interior back.jpg
    ram interior back.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 115
  • ram bed.jpg
    ram bed.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great looking truck. Welcome to the forum. Glad you made the switch from Ford. Good decision.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Great looking truck. Welcome to the forum. Glad you made the switch from Ford. Good decision.
Thanks man. The fit and finish is a tremendous upgrade from the Ford for sure. My dash was warped from day 1 on my F150. Otherwise it was a great truck though.

I am hoping this is a good ride. The CEL that came on does not bode well and would scare most, but I am hoping it was just a fluke because it was stupid cold and I gave it a quick pedal to gain some speed up a decent incline of the highway and just confused something. Pretty sure my F150 popped this code a few weeks ago too.

Are you Hemi guys typically ok with running 87 in these? Power is not a concern for me as much as gas mileage. I know that is not going to be a realistic feat for this thing, but I rather save on some gas than get a sprinkle of timing from adding 93 if there is no other reason to run it

Muskiez

Reaction score
Thanks man. The fit and finish is a tremendous upgrade from the Ford for sure. My dash was warped from day 1 on my F150. Otherwise it was a great truck though.

I am hoping this is a good ride. The CEL that came on does not bode well and would scare most, but I am hoping it was just a fluke because it was stupid cold and I gave it a quick pedal to gain some speed up a decent incline of the highway and just confused something. Pretty sure my F150 popped this code a few weeks ago too.

Are you Hemi guys typically ok with running 87 in these? Power is not a concern for me as much as gas mileage. I know that is not going to be a realistic feat for this thing, but I rather save on some gas than get a sprinkle of timing from adding 93 if there is no other reason to run it
I’ve put 12000 miles on my 2020 Ram with probably 3000 of those miles pulling 4000 lbs. I’ve only ran 87 octane in it and have had no issues at all

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys.
I was just getting ready to go out and now the truck does not do the remote start and disabled. Aye. . . lol. We arent off to a good start.
I did some research and looks like remote start gets disabled when there is an active cel. My reader will not clear the cel for some reason so I am going to see if I can have it cleared somewhere since the dealer is not open today

zlman

Reaction score
I like your style, see avatar.
I've got a 20 with almost 11k, got it 12-27-20.
Only issue I've had is a bad battery which the dealer replaced and the rear driver side door window shattered while sitting in the garage, strangest thing I've ever seen!
Hopefully the code is just a one off weird glitch for you.
I too looked at Ford because a friend has a 16 w/ the 3.5 eco and I really like his truck but they wouldn't deal, $10k more than my similar equipped Ram. I don't regret my decision one bit.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I like your style, see avatar.
I've got a 20 with almost 11k, got it 12-27-20.
Only issue I've had is a bad battery which the dealer replaced and the rear driver side door window shattered while sitting in the garage, strangest thing I've ever seen!
Hopefully the code is just a one off weird glitch for you.
I too looked at Ford because a friend has a 16 w/ the 3.5 eco and I really like his truck but they wouldn't deal, $10k more than my similar equipped Ram. I don't regret my decision one bit.
Beautiful truck my friend! White was not my first choice, but I have a White GT500 it will likely tow and a boat that has some white in it, so it may work. lol. Plus now more of an excuse to wear my White Oakleys more!

Sorry for your luck on your strange issues as well. My 2020 has been pretty terrible overall, so I hope this is not a sign of more bad to come.
The code is minor in my eyes, so hopefully it does not reoccur

PM-Performance

Reaction score
89 recommended, 87 is ok. Might knock, but ymmv.
thanks. I checked the manual and it said 87 "should" be ok, but 89 was preferred for performance and gas mileage. Not sure what the dealer put in it, but Ill try 89 next round for sure.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It can run on 87, the computer will adjust BUT my experience with doing so has resulted in a loss of mileage, my assumption is that the 87 caused the PCM to pull timing resulting in less torque which resulted in me being in the gas longer with a little more rpm to accelerate. Switched back to 89 and mileage came back

PM-Performance

Reaction score
It can run on 87, the computer will adjust BUT my experience with doing so has resulted in a loss of mileage, my assumption is that the 87 caused the PCM to pull timing resulting in less torque which resulted in me being in the gas longer with a little more rpm to accelerate. Switched back to 89 and mileage came back
great to know. What kind of mpg losses did you see with 87? This is great info.
I know with my F150 I always ran 87 and never noticed a diff with either ethanol free or higher octane. I did an actual test once when towing though and saw a 2.5mpg increase with 93 which I found strange.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
great to know. What kind of mpg losses did you see with 87? This is great info.
I know with my F150 I always ran 87 and never noticed a diff with either ethanol free or higher octane. I did an actual test once when towing though and saw a 2.5mpg increase with 93 which I found strange.

About a consistent 1-1.5 mpg drop or about 23-25 miles per tank less on a very very consistent basis

PM-Performance

Reaction score
About a consistent 1-1.5 mpg drop or about 23-25 miles per tank less on a very very consistent basis

thank you very much for the feedback. With this little 23g tank and already lower gas mileage, this helps.

Rexx

Reaction score
From the research I’ve done, if you live somewhere that is near sea level, you’re better off running 89.
If you live a few thousand feet above sea level, you’ll be fine with 87.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Central NY I have noticed no difference in mileage with 87 or 93. Used 93 for going on a third tank for now just to be positive. Bringing mine to dealership for AC TSB and will request they look into mileage and rpm fluctuation concern that occurs in park when attempting to hold idle at 1kish.

Marc NC

Reaction score
exactly the same happened to me, I was f150 lariat 2019 owner, went to ford to trade it they didn't have 2021 and the price they paid for my truck was ridiculously low...went to the RAM dealer and did a test drive on a limited 2021 just fell in love...will get my baby tomorrow... can't wait..

PM-Performance

Reaction score
exactly the same happened to me, I was f150 lariat 2019 owner, went to ford to trade it they didn't have 2021 and the price they paid for my truck was ridiculously low...went to the RAM dealer and did a test drive on a limited 2021 just fell in love...will get my baby tomorrow... can't wait..

so you know my pain then. Lol.
Congrats on the new purchase. A buddy as work has a 19 Limited and it is rediculous! My first experience in a newer Ram and it stuck with me.
Only a few days with mine and the minor problem aside, it’s very nice compared to my F150

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I was thinking of going F150 next. I'm really not happy with the 12 inch screen in the ram. I feel the 8.4 screen was better in my Jeep. I just really love the exterior of the RAM so much better ! I really like that on the F150 you can utilize the 12 inch screen full screen for everything: camera,nav,carplay etc.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I was thinking of going F150 next. I'm really not happy with the 12 inch screen in the ram. I feel the 8.4 screen was better in my Jeep. I just really love the exterior of the RAM so much better ! I really like that on the F150 you can utilize the 12 inch screen full screen for everything: camera,nav,carplay etc.
I think I would have preferred Ford’s version of the 12” possibly, but hard to know because they don’t have any trucks on their lots to test.lol.
I do find the Ram portrait mode version to be a little peculiar. I have not used it enough, but it’s not terrible for me as of yet.

I will say though I have experienced some terrible infotainment systems and it can make the vehicle hard to live with.
Don’t ever buy a Hyundai or Toyota. I think they are the worst! Nissan is probably just as bad, I can’t say for sure though.
I think Ford/Chrysler/GM have the best implementations

Users who are viewing this thread