5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 21 Laramie owner coming from F150

rtslab

Reaction score
I am a new Ram 1500 Laramie owner coming from an 18 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I had a 21 3.5 Ecoboost F150 on order, but Ford just cannot get trucks on the lot and they are not willing to deal. The deal was pretty tremendous I think on this though. It would have been silly for me to pass this one up.

I just got it on Friday, but so far I am impressed with the feature set. I was not looking to get a V8 due to gas mileage, but I am hoping this ends up working out well for me.
I will be adding some videos to my Youtube channel since there is no 21 content yet. I will be adding gas mileage info once the thing gets a couple tanks through it and the DTE actually works properly and has a chance to properly break in and calculate MPG's

Only thing that I am trying not to get worried about is that a P219A code popped up at 77 miles on the truck. I cannot clear it so I need to wait until I can get to the dealer tomorrow to have them clear it and reassess.

We all know it didn't really happen with no pics, so here are pics. This one has everything other than the pano roof and the HUD/Camera rear mirror and the advanced towing package stuff. Coming from my Ford XLT trim though, I feel like I am back in a Luxury car which I have been missing with my F150.

Hopefully it is ok for me to add this video here if anyone really cares to hear about my deal I got and why I switched. If the community is OK with it, I will eventually post my thoughts as well once I have some time with the truck

I found for the same or similar configuration, using 2021 Limited as example, Ford F-150 is more expensive than RAM 1500 and Ford F-150 is definitely much more difficult to negoiate a deal.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think I would have preferred Ford’s version of the 12” possibly, but hard to know because they don’t have any trucks on their lots to test.lol.
I do find the Ram portrait mode version to be a little peculiar. I have not used it enough, but it’s not terrible for me as of yet.

I will say though I have experienced some terrible infotainment systems and it can make the vehicle hard to live with.
Don’t ever buy a Hyundai or Toyota. I think they are the worst! Nissan is probably just as bad, I can’t say for sure though.
I think Ford/Chrysler/GM have the best implementations

I initially thought the same thing but after using it and thinking about Ford's landscape mode, some of the buttons on the right side of the screen will be difficult to reach from the driver's seat on the Ford

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I initially thought the same thing but after using it and thinking about Ford's landscape mode, some of the buttons on the right side of the screen will be difficult to reach from the driver's seat on the Ford
If RAM just utilized the full screen for all functions I would be happy. It just feels useless and the actual usable screen real estate is smaller that the 8.4 screen just doesn't make sense to me. hopefully this will be fixed with Uconnect5. I might make a trade for that and other upgrades.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My current 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi is my third. I ran 87 octane almost exclusively in my 2010 and 2014. Both of those had a 3.92 rear diff, the 2014 had the 8-speed transmission. My '19 has the 3.21 axle. I have never experienced pinging from using that octane in any of them.

I don't have a rationale case for gas mileage either way based on octane. I'm getting the best mileage with my '19 and for the last six or seven months I've run 89 octane only. I do think throttle response is slightly better with 89 and my best posted mileage has been in this period, but that could also be the result of other influences.

Good luck with your new Ram.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044505 miles.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I don’t think Ford has hard buttons on the sides. It’s all soft touch on the screen and buttons below of any of memory serves me.
I think the Ram is enough of a stretch and awkward, so even for soft buttons on the screen you may be right on ergonomics though.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks man. The fit and finish is a tremendous upgrade from the Ford for sure. My dash was warped from day 1 on my F150. Otherwise it was a great truck though.

I am hoping this is a good ride. The CEL that came on does not bode well and would scare most, but I am hoping it was just a fluke because it was stupid cold and I gave it a quick pedal to gain some speed up a decent incline of the highway and just confused something. Pretty sure my F150 popped this code a few weeks ago too.

Are you Hemi guys typically ok with running 87 in these? Power is not a concern for me as much as gas mileage. I know that is not going to be a realistic feat for this thing, but I rather save on some gas than get a sprinkle of timing from adding 93 if there is no other reason to run it
I have a 19 with 11,300 miles ram only 87 and have had 0 issues with power or pulling. First time ram owner here too. I also wanted a 2021 Ford, but was told not sure when they could even get me one and the price, wow! However ram is buying my 19 back, so I needed to act fast. I ended up ordering a 2021 ram. It’s at my local dealer, but I can not pick it up until all rams paper work goes through😩 next week I hope!

Attachments

• 42D2F69F-3F44-4786-BEFB-9EEDC971AF2A.jpeg
    42D2F69F-3F44-4786-BEFB-9EEDC971AF2A.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 31

Fidomac

Reaction score
Thanks man. The fit and finish is a tremendous upgrade from the Ford for sure. My dash was warped from day 1 on my F150. Otherwise it was a great truck though.

I am hoping this is a good ride. The CEL that came on does not bode well and would scare most, but I am hoping it was just a fluke because it was stupid cold and I gave it a quick pedal to gain some speed up a decent incline of the highway and just confused something. Pretty sure my F150 popped this code a few weeks ago too.

Are you Hemi guys typically ok with running 87 in these? Power is not a concern for me as much as gas mileage. I know that is not going to be a realistic feat for this thing, but I rather save on some gas than get a sprinkle of timing from adding 93 if there is no other reason to run it
I have run 87 octane with the addition of a cheap octane boost most tanks with no problems for 2+ years and 50,000 miles.....can definately feel the difference

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have a 19 with 11,300 miles ram only 87 and have had 0 issues with power or pulling. First time ram owner here too. I also wanted a 2021 Ford, but was told not sure when they could even get me one and the price, wow! However ram is buying my 19 back, so I needed to act fast. I ended up ordering a 2021 ram. It’s at my local dealer, but I can not pick it up until all rams paper work goes through😩 next week I hope!
Beautiful color! Congrats!

Mel063

Reaction score
I am a new Ram 1500 Laramie owner coming from an 18 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I had a 21 3.5 Ecoboost F150 on order, but Ford just cannot get trucks on the lot and they are not willing to deal. The deal was pretty tremendous I think on this though. It would have been silly for me to pass this one up.

I just got it on Friday, but so far I am impressed with the feature set. I was not looking to get a V8 due to gas mileage, but I am hoping this ends up working out well for me.
I will be adding some videos to my Youtube channel since there is no 21 content yet. I will be adding gas mileage info once the thing gets a couple tanks through it and the DTE actually works properly and has a chance to properly break in and calculate MPG's

Only thing that I am trying not to get worried about is that a P219A code popped up at 77 miles on the truck. I cannot clear it so I need to wait until I can get to the dealer tomorrow to have them clear it and reassess.

We all know it didn't really happen with no pics, so here are pics. This one has everything other than the pano roof and the HUD/Camera rear mirror and the advanced towing package stuff. Coming from my Ford XLT trim though, I feel like I am back in a Luxury car which I have been missing with my F150.

Hopefully it is ok for me to add this video here if anyone really cares to hear about my deal I got and why I switched. If the community is OK with it, I will eventually post my thoughts as well once I have some time with the truck

I too switched from an 18 Ford Lariat to a 21 Ram Limited. As you stated, Ford can't get their business in order and were unwilling to deal. I had a 21 F-150 Limited on order but the Ram is really nice! Love it so far!

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve had my truck for a little over 2 years and a little over 38k miles. I have had zero issues and run 87 octane unless I’m towing. My last Ram was over 10 yes old and 125k miles. Also a great truck with no issues and I ran 87 as well. I’m sure peoples opinions vary on this but I have never seen any difference from 87 to 89 octane in either mpg or power. I do loose at least 2 mpg when the horrible winter blend gas is implemented with fall.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for a little over 2 years and a little over 38k miles. I have had zero issues and run 87 octane unless I’m towing. My last Ram was over 10 yes old and 125k miles. Also a great truck with no issues and I ran 87 as well. I’m sure peoples opinions vary on this but I have never seen any difference from 87 to 89 octane in either mpg or power. I do loose at least 2 mpg when the horrible winter blend gas is implemented with fall.
thanks for your input. While it is hard to judge now with it being on its first tank, yea I always noticed my vehicles lose like 2mpg or so over the winter. My F150 has actually been pretty fabulous this year so far, but the Ram is showing like 13mpg right now. hahaha

Zig10

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig.

I personally notice zero difference in mileage between 87 and 89. That is with both daily driving and towing my 7500 lb boat around. In my wife's '18 Expedition there is a noticeable gain from 87-91 octane, so if you came out of a 3.5 EB you might be tempted, but thus far the Ram just doesn't seem to care. I'm sure the 3.92 rear doesn't help, either.

Hope your CEL is minor and your get to enjoy her soon. I've got just under 9k on mine and it honestly is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned (including a few "luxury" cars).

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig.

I personally notice zero difference in mileage between 87 and 89. That is with both daily driving and towing my 7500 lb boat around. In my wife's '18 Expedition there is a noticeable gain from 87-91 octane, so if you came out of a 3.5 EB you might be tempted, but thus far the Ram just doesn't seem to care. I'm sure the 3.92 rear doesn't help, either.

Hope your CEL is minor and your get to enjoy her soon. I've got just under 9k on mine and it honestly is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned (including a few "luxury" cars).
Thanks man. I always ran 87 in my Eco. One time I tried towing with 93 and did same like 2.5 mpg though.
I think the cel was minor. It already cleared on its own.
Deff a very nice truck this far.

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
I drove Ford Trucks from 1984 until Nov 2020. Went to 2 Ford dealers to buy a new a F150 Platinum V-8 . I trade trucks every 4 years because them to travel for my job. I tow 5,100 lb trailer 25% of the time. Both dealers told me I would not be HAPPY with a V-8 , said I needed a V-6 ECOBOOST In my book there is no substitute for Cubic Inches. I told both dealers not to worry about my happiness I wanted a V-8 . Again I said I wanted a V-8 they just were not interested in selling me what I wanted so I left a went to Dodge dealer and bought a V-8 HEMI 5.7 Laramie 4X4 crew cab. I Love it so far only 2,000 miles. And it was better priced with more features than a Ford. Ford dealer called me 2 days later and ask me had I changed my mind about buying a V-6, I told him I had bought a V-8 Dodge. And to go fly a kite and not call me again.( both dealers had V-8 trucks in stock)

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove Ford Trucks from 1984 until Nov 2020. Went to 2 Ford dealers to buy a new a F150 Platinum V-8 . I trade trucks every 4 years because them to travel for my job. I tow 5,100 lb trailer 25% of the time. Both dealers told me I would not be HAPPY with a V-8 , said I needed a V-6 ECOBOOST In my book there is no substitute for Cubic Inches. I told both dealers not to worry about my happiness I wanted a V-8 . Again I said I wanted a V-8 they just were not interested in selling me what I wanted so I left a went to Dodge dealer and bought a V-8 HEMI 5.7 Laramie 4X4 crew cab. I Love it so far only 2,000 miles. And it was better priced with more features than a Ford. Ford dealer called me 2 days later and ask me had I changed my mind about buying a V-6, I told him I had bought a V-8 Dodge. And to go fly a kite and not call me again.( both dealers had V-8 trucks in stock)
If I was buying a Ford, I would not want the 5.0. In my option it is a underpowered gas guzzler. I like the hemi much better. At the same time if you told them you wanted the v8 then that’s what they should of tried to sell you! If I were buying a Ford I’d probably go with the 3.5 eco. Glad you like your new ram!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was buying a Ford, I would not want the 5.0. In my option it is a underpowered gas guzzler. I like the hemi much better. At the same time if you told them you wanted the v8 then that’s what they should of tried to sell you! If I were buying a Ford I’d probably go with the 3.5 eco. Glad you like your new ram!
The V8 isn't underpowered, but it doesn't have much torque until the revs get up there. I had a 2018 5.0. It is a Mustang engine they stuck in the F-150 for the V8 guys. It definitely is not a gas guzzler, I got about 2 mpg better hwy than in my HEMI etorque, and similar in town. I like the HEMI better than the Ford 5.0, though I would rather not have etorque.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
The V8 isn't underpowered, but it doesn't have much torque until the revs get up there. I had a 2018 5.0. It is a Mustang engine they stuck in the F-150 for the V8 guys. It definitely is not a gas guzzler, I got about 2 mpg better hwy than in my HEMI etorque, and similar in town. I like the HEMI better than the Ford 5.0, though I would rather not have etorque.
What do you not like about the etorque?

MRGUD

Reaction score
Good luck with all!

I am however just the opposite. Getting into 2021 F-150 Lariat next week.
Decided to trade in my 2019 Big Horn (many, many issues / hours spent @ the dealership - for mostly common problems that are mentioned in this community).

My Big Horn was 3 years and 3 months lease, however, with Lariat i am getting into 2 years lease.

I liked the idea of RAM , liked the engine, handling, etc, but, simply could not take it any more ... and going back to dealership for the same issues (water coming in, headlights wet, brake issues, wind issues, hooming issues, etc, etc - just bad luck probably!)

If i end up having same issues with Ford, definitely i am done with trucks and getting into Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (joking, cannot fit in) :D

Happy Holidays all,

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of all your issues.
I am certainly hoping my luck isn’t like yours.
My f150 has been problem free other than nitpicky things like the trans shifting.

NA&CH

Reaction score
I am on the verge of making the switch from my 15 lariat with 98k(not sure why this thing should run for a while). But the deals on these rams are hard to beat. I have a few local dealers with fords but not my color or build type. I would like to see what this power boost is like.
Again I feel the fit and finish on the ram is second to none and light years better then my 15 lariat.
Waiting on two dealers to get me numbers. Came here looking for threads like this to see what guys are saying.
Nice looking truck OP.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread