5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2021 Ram Rebel Running Board Debate

MPDamon

Reaction score
My Rebel didn't come with the running boards and I was looking at the factory sets, but realized that they are running boards on a sporty truck! So I started looking at the nerf bars instead. For a sporty truck, classy running boards didn't look right to me.

I ended up buying the Westin Pro Traxx 5" Oval nerf bars. I think they keep the truck looking sporty. Unfortunately, I don't have a better pic.

I got these same ones. They look great. The guys at work installed them for me. Have a question though. I get a little popping noise when going over a bump. Mainly on the driver side. Seems to happen one time per drive and then it stops. The guy has tightened them just to make sure but it’s still doing it. I know the directions seemed a little strange so maybe something isn’t right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubadaddy

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to post the pictures. As I mentioned before, the boards were not yet installed. After using them for about a week now, I'd have to say that I am extremely satisfied. They are rock solid and they have a nice flat surface with good traction. Best of all, the little misses has given her seal of approval not that she doesn't have to climb and can easily use with her high heels.
Rebel2.jpg Rebel1.jpg Rebel3.jpg

Gandalfgrey

Reaction score
So my window sticker showed that my Rebel has black tubular running boards. But they don’t seem like a tubular one they are heavy plastic and i do like how they tuck under and fill the gap well they don’t look bad so I’m gonna hang on to them for now.

Attachments

• 52FDB81E-2F91-42A3-A7D7-018B806ABE9A.jpeg
    52FDB81E-2F91-42A3-A7D7-018B806ABE9A.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 339

Hulk4824

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to post the pictures. As I mentioned before, the boards were not yet installed. After using them for about a week now, I'd have to say that I am extremely satisfied. They are rock solid and they have a nice flat surface with good traction. Best of all, the little misses has given her seal of approval not that she doesn't have to climb and can easily use with her high heels.
View attachment 79564 View attachment 79565 View attachment 79566
Are they the AMP power boards? Still waiting on mine! Also I read where they can be left out while you're parked! So other car doors or runaway carts can't hit your truck!

scubadaddy

Reaction score
Are they the AMP power boards? Still waiting on mine! Also I read where they can be left out while you're parked! So other car doors or runaway carts can't hit your truck!
Yes, they are AMP running boards with an led light kit. So far as I figured out, you can leave them out when the doors close. When you exit, there is a delay to withdraw. While the boards are still out, just step on the boards for a few seconds and the board will stay. The boards will reset when you open a door then close the door. So far, I really like the looks, practicality, and the ruggedness of these boards. I'm sure you will too.

Er97ic

Reaction score
Yes, they are AMP running boards with an led light kit. So far as I figured out, you can leave them out when the doors close. When you exit, there is a delay to withdraw. While the boards are still out, just step on the boards for a few seconds and the board will stay. The boards will reset when you open a door then close the door. So far, I really like the looks, practicality, and the ruggedness of these boards. I'm sure you will too.
Those look great. I have the same color Rebel arriving next month. Can you take some pics with them stowed? Do they protrude at all? Curious how noticeable they are against the white.

TMD78

Reaction score
I just bought my Rebel a few days ago and am super excited to fit this thing out with some nice functional add-ons. I'm currently debating between the Go Rhino RB20s and the Go Rhino Dominator DSS. I haven't seen much out there as far as Rebels with the DSS side step. If anyone has, curious to see some photos or just get some input on which route to go. thanks!
I have the RB20’s, look great but at about 10 months the paint started to peel and rust on the frequently used driver side. Rhino sent replacements no questions asked so customer service is great, but just a heads up. I plan to line x the replacement they sent.

Sterno90

Reaction score
So my window sticker showed that my Rebel has black tubular running boards. But they don’t seem like a tubular one they are heavy plastic and i do like how they tuck under and fill the gap well they don’t look bad so I’m gonna hang on to them for now.
Those are nice looking running boards I also love the blue accents you made to your truck.

Haddy

Reaction score
Just installed Go Rhino RB20 boards, black powder coat. They are wide, but super easy to install and use.

Mounting brackets on the bottom show if you look under it, but doesn’t seem to realistically take away ground clearance considering all the other stuff under there too.

Purchased them direct from Go Rhino for right around $400 (coupon code UNTAMED gets 10% off), took about a week to deliver, no issues so far.

Attachments

• A82C6908-042C-4346-810A-F904C3B586D1.jpeg
    A82C6908-042C-4346-810A-F904C3B586D1.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 287F6CD6-49E4-493A-A2AE-5D4B49D1EEB4.jpeg
    287F6CD6-49E4-493A-A2AE-5D4B49D1EEB4.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 298
  • DF4E6F74-44E1-40A2-A549-4955F53708E8.jpeg
    DF4E6F74-44E1-40A2-A549-4955F53708E8.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 290
  • E6CD0E79-62B6-44D5-8760-261A1381E7F9.jpeg
    E6CD0E79-62B6-44D5-8760-261A1381E7F9.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 281

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got these same ones. They look great. The guys at work installed them for me. Have a question though. I get a little popping noise when going over a bump. Mainly on the driver side. Seems to happen one time per drive and then it stops. The guy has tightened them just to make sure but it’s still doing it. I know the directions seemed a little strange so maybe something isn’t right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't see this until today. I hung mine on with all bolts being loose. I started by tightening the body bolts first, to remove any binding. Once those brackets were tightened, I went around and tightened the rest.

Sounds like you have a slight bind somewhere that gets released on that bump.

Attachments

• Westin2.jpg
    Westin2.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 150

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Just installed Go Rhino RB20 boards, black powder coat. They are wide, but super easy to install and use.

Mounting brackets on the bottom show if you look under it, but doesn’t seem to realistically take away ground clearance considering all the other stuff under there too.

Purchased them direct from Go Rhino for right around $400 (coupon code UNTAMED gets 10% off), took about a week to deliver, no issues so far.
I just started looking at these for my Rebel. I was originally going to go with the Tyger Blade running boards, but saw a lot of people mentioning the Go Rhinos. How slippery are these if at all? I'll be in snow from time to time so I'm looking for running boards with some good grip. I also noticed these now come with the bedliner spray if wanted.

Haddy

Reaction score
I just started looking at these for my Rebel. I was originally going to go with the Tyger Blade running boards, but saw a lot of people mentioning the Go Rhinos. How slippery are these if at all? I'll be in snow from time to time so I'm looking for running boards with some good grip. I also noticed these now come with the bedliner spray if wanted.
I went with the standard black powder coat since it pairs nicely with the Rebel trim and have not had any problems slipping in the rain. Since these are so wide, I don’t foresee any traction issues. I am curious to how they will perform in snow and mud though.

When I lived in CO, I had an F-150 with old school tubular step rails, and they were slippery, especially in the snow. That’s why I purchased flat, wide steps this time.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 4F0E1E40-BB57-433A-AC34-32AF12F36B02.jpeg
    4F0E1E40-BB57-433A-AC34-32AF12F36B02.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 228

johncode

Reaction score
View attachment 79564 View attachment 79565 View attachment 79566
Where did you get the black door handles?

Cert2.0

Reaction score
I went with the Mopar CAST ALUMINUM off road running boards with the heavy non-slip texture. You know, after my foot slipping off other running boards and doing the shin bash thing. This is a pretty thick running board, it looks thin with the vents but there's substantial aluminum underneath and they weigh a bit.

View attachment 79257
so just wondering how do these mount up are they bolt on, or do they use a crush nut to the frame, if you have any pictures that would be cool, also what's the gap look like from the truck frame to the top of the running board thanks for any info.

Boost Monkey

Reaction score
so just wondering how do these mount up are they bolt on, or do they use a crush nut to the frame, if you have any pictures that would be cool, also what's the gap look like from the truck frame to the top of the running board thanks for any info.

They bolt right up. The studs are already in place on your truck if you look up underneath each side. These boards come with all support brackets and nuts to mount. Super easy.

The gap is more than I would like to see, personally. I don't know why they weren't designed to be a bit tighter up, being an OEM running board and all.

I also wish they were a bit thinner and less substantial than they are... More like the Raptor's boards. Ford got those right. No lie on the weight... These things are super heavy.

IMG_9474.PNG

IMG_9472.PNG

IMG_9473.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread