5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help: Batteries keep dying in my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie

L_RAM2020

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum so I apologize if I didn’t post this properly or post it in the right place, but I need help and would love to know if anyone else has been experiencing this issue and also if anyone has solved their issue.

I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.7 a year ago. The battery died 6 months after buying it. Since it was the original battery I thought it was just time for replacement since I live in FL and thought it would solve the the problem. Replaced with H7 AGM

Couple months into the new battery, that one died suddenly. Beyond dead to the point nothing worked and a jump couldn’t even start it. Had the battery tested and it came back as a bad battery, and the alternator and starter both checked out OK. So thinking it was a defective battery, I replaced it with another H7 AGM battery.

Things were fine for 3-4 weeks, then it suddenly died again, but restarted and held charge after using a battery starter. I read some forums and decided to check my vehicle out, and noticed some after market wiring - one for an audio system that wasn’t even being used and a wire that ran to the truck bed that I was told was to plug in tools to use or charge. We found them to be live and showed a draw, so I had them disconnected and made sure nothing after market was hooked up to be safe.

Things were fine for 2-3 weeks and it suddenly died again.

I was hoping someone on here could help guide me in the right direction as to what it may be or if anyone had similar problems and found solutions.. any help would be appreciated! I work in construction and need my truck each day, so I’m trying to avoid a lengthy drop off at the dealer or at least expedite the process.

Thanks for any help!

tomb84

Reaction score
Hello, i've just experienced a similar issue with my 2019 1500 Hemi - a weak battery that caused starting issues.
Replaced the battery (old was less than 3 years and replaced under AutoZone warranty) and thought that would be the end of it!
Installed new battery, and realized alternator wasn't charging system whilst driving. Presuming a dead alternator which likely caused old battery to lose charge, ended up going to the dealer for diagnostics rather than diving in to replace alternator (they're pricy for this truck!).
Dealer just called to say there is a software update which would fix the charging issue - and a hefty price tag to go with this that I would need to pay.

Question for the group - truck is out of warranty, and had replaced the battery previously with no issues. Should I be responsible for charges for a software update that is causing the truck to not function correctly after a battery change? If it was a mechanical item needing to be replaced - no issue. This doesn't seem quite right however?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/