5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation update, anyone try it yet? (2021 Map Update for Uconnect® 4C NAV w/ 12" touchscreen (v3 SBX): For U.S. Only)

LV426

Reaction score
So has anyone had any success installing this Navigation update? Starting this thread to kind of keep track and see how it goes.
I assume most will pass because they are making us pay for it ($149) and I believe mostly everyone uses Waze/google maps which is better, more reliable and FREE...+

Also, did anyone get an update that this was available? Its hard to imagine that they would not provide some sort of communication that something like this is available but Uconnect seems like the Radio Shack of vehicle infotainment so I guess I'm not surprised.

Attachments

• nav update.JPG
    nav update.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely not paying $149 or even $99 for that. Google maps/waze will continue to serve me well.
It came out in '21, it became available in '21, and you bought it in '21. So, the problem is?
Many (including me) bought a truck that is advertised as a '19/'20/'21''22, but was designed and manufactured and built in the previous year, and don't even give it a second thought. Or even a third.
So,????????

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
Ok, just arrived at this forum because I did just update my Nav map. It did come with a software update that had to be loaded first.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w/ 12 inch screen. Previous version of software was 21.32.14. Problem: after installing both the software and map update it seems I have lost some functionality of my voice search. The mic icon on screen is no longer active and now I must use the voice button on the steering wheel. I used to be able to search by voice for anything, now it seems to only look for restaurants, gas, anyone have any ideas?

At this point I think I spent $149 + tax to create problems from a system that did work perfectly :-(
Yeah that sucks... Maybe give it while, I know this radio sometimes needs time to sort itself out after power cycles, etc... If you read through the forum you will find that the Uconnect 12" system is mysterious, poorly supported product that everyone seems to report a different experience with.

Do you have the SXM Guardian service BTW? I lost my "online" search / mic icon search after I let that service laps, others claim theirs still works....

Last edited:

rconiv

Reaction score
It came out in '21, it became available in '21, and you bought it in '21. So, the problem is?
Many (including me) bought a truck that is advertised as a '19/'20/'21''22, but was designed and manufactured and built in the previous year, and don't even give it a second thought. Or even a third.
So,????????
Though since it came out in November, would think they could have at least come with 2021 Q1 or Q2, to would have whatever has come out the couple months between.

I hope it doesn't take another 3 or 4 years for another update.

Renagade69

Reaction score
Did you pay with Paypal? I'd dispute it as an Item not as described and get the $$$ back. States 2021 map, very misleading unless there is a fine print we are missing.
You can try and dispute it but they make you check a non-returnable software box before purchasing.

Billy2j

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks... Maybe give it while, I know this radio sometimes needs time to sort itself out after power cycles, etc... If you read through the forum you will find that the Uconnect 12" system is mysterious, poorly supported product that everyone seems to report a different experience with.

Do you have the SXM Guardian service BTW? I lost my "online" search / mic icon search after I let that service laps, others claim theirs still works....
Yes I did actually renew my Guardian Service....

Billy2j

Reaction score
I have installed the update and would gladly pay a $149 to get this crap off my system. The update took a highly functional piece of technology and turned it into a POS. Before the update this system was amazing, totally user friendly and now if you can find your destination, when you map it, don't expect the system to take you to the correct destination. Totally unreliable now. Do Not Install.... DON'T DO IT !!!!

LV426

Reaction score
I have installed the update and would gladly pay a $149 to get this crap off my system. The update took a highly functional piece of technology and turned it into a POS. Before the update this system was amazing, totally user friendly and now if you can find your destination, when you map it, don't expect the system to take you to the correct destination. Totally unreliable now. Do Not Install.... DON'T DO IT !!!!
Can you provide a little more details on how the update made things worse? Did you lose features or is it performing worse, etc...Is it just the Nav or did it screw up other features on the radio? Maybe Uconnect can roll it back to the previous version if its that bad, although I highly doubt they are capable.

Billy2j

Reaction score
The on screen mic that evidently searches online destinations is no longer active. The search line shows multiple bars of signal but shows it to be unavailable, the mic icon is inactive. The system destination may have the correct addresses but the actual locations are not correct. Before the upgrade the system was amazing. The rest of the system is unaffected, just the navigation system.

Before the upgrade I never used Android Auto, but now if you want to find and arrive at the correct location you better be using google maps on Android Auto....

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
My update should be here this week so I'm reading all the comments now.
I'll push forward regardless and report my results. good or bad.

I still say the old RB1 had the best trip/destination estimator ever, it's just too bad they stopped updates in 2013.
No matter how far you were going, it would estimate the arrival time to within 5 minutes of accuracy, before you would even leave the driveway.
All these new ones overstimate by hours and then slowly update as you get closer which is basically pointless.

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
The on screen mic that evidently searches online destinations is no longer active. The search line shows multiple bars of signal but shows it to be unavailable, the mic icon is inactive. The system destination may have the correct addresses but the actual locations are not correct. Before the upgrade the system was amazing. The rest of the system is unaffected, just the navigation system.

Before the upgrade I never used Android Auto, but now if you want to find and arrive at the correct location you better be using google maps on Android Auto....
Well, from my reading through several discussions I can say that I cant come up with a definitive answer on the online/offline search issue. Not even a clear answer from Uconnect. Some people have it with he Guardian service, some don't, etc...Mine disappeared after my Guardian service was cancelled.

Anyway, you should probably contact Uconnect and see what they have to say (I'd be interested). I honestly don't think they even understand how this system is supposed to work having interacted with them a few times now.

I still use Waze or Google maps but there have been a few times when Android Auto glitched out and failed me (which is another issue) and I fell back on the trucks Nav.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Even in 2021, almost all navigation systems have severe limitations, the OEM nav, Google Maps, Waze, etc. None seem to be able to do custom routes, at least none that I've found so far. I'm still looking.

For example, I'm going to be hauling my RV from VT to FL. When I put the From/To addresses into any of these, they want to take me right down I-95 right through NYC, Philly, Washington DC, and Baltimore. No one wants to haul an RV through those highly congested areas. They may offer one or two optional routes, but they're almost as bad.

I have a much better route planned through much less populated areas, but none of the nav apps I've yet tried will accept this route because they lack the ability to do custom routing. It's either their way or no way.

Google Maps nav is the only one that comes close, but you have to force-feed it many waypoints (dragging won't work). Even doing this, it still tries to reroute the way you want to go and I still haven't been able to force it to accept my entire route. Waze is pathetic when it comes to custom routing. It's totally brain dead on that. You can't force it to do anything that it doesn't want to do. For all of its purported features, it can't do custom routing at all.

So most current popular nav apps are only good if you accept their internally generated routes and leave your driving fate up to them. Anyone traveling long distances is going to find this highly limiting and if you're hauling an RV, you're not going to want to use many of their routes. So, if you think Google Maps or Waze is the solution to the OEM nav, think again. They're all light-duty, point A to point B only (with maybe an intermediate stop or two). You're going to need something much better for turn-by-turn custom routing for your next big trip.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I did try the Sygic Truck/RV app but it had too many bugs. Its reviews are awful. It has potential but it needs more development.

Users who are viewing this thread