5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav Map OTA Updates Disabled

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Expecting that is foolish. It takes months of lead time to order parts to be available to install them on the assembly line. Same goes for almost anything you buy in a store today - it was made months ago before you get your hands on it.
That makes 0 sense. Each new truck goes through a pre delivery checklist at the selling dealership.
I don't think it's wrong to have the current software placed on the truck as part of this checklist, software that is ONLY used to fix bugs and problems with the truck not add new features.

That's like buying a truck that has an active recall on it because the dealership is too lazy to do the recall and just assumes you will not need a working air bag if you get into a crash or will realize they never did their job before you need it and force them to.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That makes 0 sense. Each new truck goes through a pre delivery checklist at the selling dealership.
I don't think it's wrong to have the current software placed on the truck as part of this checklist, software that is ONLY used to fix bugs and problems with the truck not add new features.

That's like buying a truck that has an active recall on it because the dealership is too lazy to do the recall and just assumes you will not need a working air bag if you get into a crash or will realize they never did their job before you need it and force them to.
It's actually illegal for a dealership to sell a vehicle with an active recall.

As for the software, map update aside, dealerships can't actually pull software and install it without there being a complaint. Most are tied to TSB about specific issues that have to be mentioned when requesting the files.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's actually illegal for a dealership to sell a vehicle with an active recall.

As for the software, map update aside, dealerships can't actually pull software and install it without there being a complaint. Most are tied to TSB about specific issues that have to be mentioned when requesting the files.
It could be added to the PDI easily.

U

User_3336

Wow what? Although the dealer gets paid for a PDI thru the manufacturer, why would a dealer want to spend an additional 40 minutes updating software when it really wasn't a required part of the PDI anyway?

vtcats

Reaction score
I think in todays modern age of digital everything (which is basically my current Limited), yes it (latest maps and U5 firmware) SHOULD part of a dealerships checklist. More so if it’s something they may even charge for down the road.
But obviously it’s not. But who knows, maybe current dealerships (like Mark Dodge whom I purchased from) will see and hear from people who feel this way and decide it will be another feather in their cap to stand out and give people additional reasons of why to purchase from them.
Regardless, I ordered a thumb drive as my current supply are too small and downloaded the latest map. I’ll attempt to update this week.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think in todays modern age of digital everything (which is basically my current Limited), yes it (latest maps and U5 firmware) SHOULD part of a dealerships checklist. More so if it’s something they may even charge for down the road.
But obviously it’s not. But who knows, maybe current dealerships (like Mark Dodge whom I purchased from) will see and hear from people who feel this way and decide it will be another feather in their cap to stand out and give people additional reasons of why to purchase from them.
Regardless, I ordered a thumb drive as my current supply are too small and downloaded the latest map. I’ll attempt to update this week.
Also, in the modern age of OTA updates, making dealers check software/firmware versions upon delivery is redundant. If there is an applicable update the vehicle needs, it should be done automatically. Granted, there have been issues with the 2024 models and OTA updates freezing and causing battery drain

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow what? Although the dealer gets paid for a PDI thru the manufacturer, why would a dealer want to spend an additional 40 minutes updating software when it really wasn't a required part of the PDI anyway?
It's 2 minutes. Put the usb in and start the update then do the rest of the PDI, by the time the PDI is done updates will be done.
This is not rocket science.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's 2 minutes. Put the usb in and start the update then do the rest of the PDI, by the time the PDI is done updates will be done.
This is not rocket science.
That would require knowing what is already installed in the vehicle and being able to then get the correct revision needed. And they don't keep software saved in their computers. When they download it at dealer for install, it's based on vin, and a one time install. Not sure how people are getting the files that we have been downloading from Google drives to install ourselves

U

User_3336

That would require knowing what is already installed in the vehicle and being able to then get the correct revision needed. And they don't keep software saved in their computers. When they download it at dealer for install, it's based on vin, and a one time install. Not sure how people are getting the files that we have been downloading from Google drives to install ourselves
NAV maps for UC5 have been available here for a while. Its a 17GB download onto a thumb drive.

Last update 12.2023.

U

User_3336

It's more than just the Nav updates that were being discussed. You can download UC5 Nav updates for free from RAM.
Well, "NAV updates" are in the thread header, and I just posted the link for free UC5 NAV updates in post 34.
What do you think the link I posted was for?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, "NAV updates" are in the thread header, and I just posted the link for free UC5 NAV updates in post 34.
What do you think the link I posted was for?
Well, I wasn't even replying to your comment, the discussion had moved on to the dealer updating software during PDI, and not just map updates.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
you did reply to my comment in post 34.
Because you replied to my previous reply about dealers doing software updates as part of PDI, that want to you. And wasn't about nav updates.

Users who are viewing this thread