5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav Map OTA Updates Disabled

Philth

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with UConnect customer service. The OTA updates have been disabled by them for unknown reasons. This was the first I had heard about this so I asked when they were going to announce this. He couldn't really answer. **** poor if you ask me because it's advertised as part of the Nav services that people pay for.

Just wanted to post this as an FYI. Until then, manual updates through the Stellantis website and USB drive are the only way.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Odd, I just got an OTA yesterday… I probably should’ve taken a picture of the update but it happened as I pulled up to work, told it to go ahead and update. 2023 Limited.
I kinda read what was in the update, I do remember something about fixing a blue screen on the backup camera..

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Odd, I just got an OTA yesterday… I probably should’ve taken a picture of the update but it happened as I pulled up to work, told it to go ahead and update. 2023 Limited.
I kinda read what was in the update, I do remember something about fixing a blue screen on the backup camera..
That's not a map update

dajogejr

Reaction score
That's not a map update

I see your point. I raise you mine. 6:42AM. Barely into that first cup of coffee…and the stupid came out. :)
I missed map/Nav and only saw OTA and update.
Thank you sir…you’re a gentlemen and a scholar.

I gotta ask… those that use factory NAV. When Android Auto, Apple Car PLay, Google and Apple Maps are available to you… why would you want to use the factory NAV that will always need updates?

Apple Car Play, if you have IOS, will even give you turn by turn in HUD if so equipped.
Not trying to be a jerk, looking for legit reasons why the factory phone via GPS isn’t being used.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see your point. I raise you mine. 6:42AM. Barely into that first cup of coffee…and the stupid came out. :)

I gotta ask… those that use factory NAV. When Android Auto, Apple Car PLay, Google and Apple Maps are available to you… why would you want to use the factory NAV that will always need updates?

Apple Car Play, if you have IOS, will even give you turn by turn in HUD if so equipped.
Not trying to be a jerk, looking for legit reasons why the factory phone via GPS isn’t being used.
I feel some people don't want to work it better technology. I've heard the excuses of the factory Nav doesn't lose signal, but I can download offline maps, with Google maps, that will continue to work through GPS, even without a data signal.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Same goes for Apple Maps…(downloading offline)
I do wish routes could be planned and shared a little better in Apple maps..
Call me lazy, call me brilliant, call me normal. 90% of the time, I’m using maps for traffic, not cause I’m lost or don’t know how to get where I’m going.

Traffic flow, alternate routes, construction, etc. has saved my bacon a time or two.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Installing map updates with UConnect 5 is not a big deal and it's free.

Until Android Auto gets a full screen upgrade in our trucks (never), I'll continue to use the factory nav as my primary display. The factory nav is just much easier to read because it's over twice the size. So far, I've just used the factory nav for situational awareness...like how close am I to my next turn. Since my traffic subscription has expired, I do use Google Maps when I need to see traffic information. I haven't used either one for turn by turn directions yet and I'm not sure which one I'll use when I need it.

20240307_133411.jpg

20240307_133446.jpg

Philth

Reaction score
I've played with both and I'm inclined to say that the Tom Tom nav in the UC5 seems to have more up to date traffic and rerouting options.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I've played with both and I'm inclined to say that the Tom Tom nav in the UC5 seems to have more up to date traffic and rerouting options.
Interesting.
By both do you mean Google Maps or Apple Maps?
I used to be a Google Maps user… I feel the traffic info is just a bit better than Apple Maps.
However, with Apple Maps, I just load the route into my phone (Easier search than typing away on my truck screen, plus I can load the destination while sitting at home, while out and about, etc.) then once car play picks it up…it’s there.

Apple Maps and factory Nav display turn by turn in my HUD.
My 2023 has Navigation in the cluster, but I’ve never used it. The 12 inch screen and HUD are enough.
Apple maps I feel does a pretty good job of reporting speed traps, quicker routes, construction, etc.

I know a lot of people who really love Waze. I just never was a fan.

Another cool thing about the factory Nav I noticed was as traveling through, it lists gas stations and prices. Kinda neat.
The issue, and correct me if I’m wrong…is you have to have a separate subscription in order to keep traffic updates/construction updates for factory Nav. Apples maps and Google, it’s just there.
Lastly… I’ve tried “Hey Ram” for voice control…for me, it’s simply not as nice or as accurate as ”Hey Siri” when it comes to navigation.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting.
By both do you mean Google Maps or Apple Maps?
I used to be a Google Maps user… I feel the traffic info is just a bit better than Apple Maps.
However, with Apple Maps, I just load the route into my phone (Easier search than typing away on my truck screen, plus I can load the destination while sitting at home, while out and about, etc.) then once car play picks it up…it’s there.

Apple Maps and factory Nav display turn by turn in my HUD.
My 2023 has Navigation in the cluster, but I’ve never used it. The 12 inch screen and HUD are enough.
Apple maps I feel does a pretty good job of reporting speed traps, quicker routes, construction, etc.

I know a lot of people who really love Waze. I just never was a fan.

Another cool thing about the factory Nav I noticed was as traveling through, it lists gas stations and prices. Kinda neat.
The issue, and correct me if I’m wrong…is you have to have a separate subscription in order to keep traffic updates/construction updates for factory Nav. Apples maps and Google, it’s just there.
Lastly… I’ve tried “Hey Ram” for voice control…for me, it’s simply not as nice or as accurate as ”Hey Siri” when it comes to navigation.
Appreciate your thoughts.

After my Ram Connect Navigation 3 month trial expired, I wasn't interested in keeping it for $9.99 per month. It was nice having traffic and gas prices displayed, but it's not worth $9.99. I wouldn't even pay half of that to keep it, especially since I can get traffic information free of charge with Google Maps.

dajogejr

Reaction score
After my Ram Connect Navigation 3 month trial expired, I wasn't interested in keeping it for $9.99 per month. It was nice having traffic and gas prices displayed, but it's not worth $9.99. I wouldn't even pay half of that to keep it, especially since I can get traffic information free of charge with Google Maps.

Amen.
On my 15, it was annoying to not have traffic, accidents, after it expired. Somehow I made it.. It’s a luxury paired with your smartphone….that costs nothing extra.

I remember, years ago, the UConnext app had “Send and Go”… That was a nice feature.
We’re well beyond that now :)

I’m past the 3 months with my truck, clearly. I just used CarPlay day one. Never really gave factory NAV a second thought…

vtcats

Reaction score
Okay, a few dumb questions here. My 2024 Limited shows 2023.03.004.28/21995/13182747/44942, says released 4/2023. Last Installed map release date 4/7/2023. But the truck was only just BUILT 12/2023.
First, what’s with the massive amount of numbers after what looks like a 3/2024 install version that was released 4/2023?
Second, what’s your best guess as to why the installed version is not up to date when the truck was built? Not from the factory OR dealer.
Also, the manual says maps will update automatically (with subscription I think, which I have), but I hate to see that attempt to happen with a file that big. While I have fast internet that’s a long time (and by the way, the radio is connected to my home WiFi and it’s never attempted this newest update. I’ve owned the truck about a month.
Lastly anything specific needed to be done if I download onto a thumb drive and then plug into one of the USB drives in the truck? Length of time for updating as well?
Thanks, I don’t have a local dealer just yet and purchased from Mark Dodge. I’ll ask Mark Dodge their thoughts as well, but figured people here seem to be pretty on top of this stuff

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I have some of these questions too, but this is how i believe it all works. If im wrong, someone will hopefully correct me.
im pretty sure Tomtom navigation map updates have to be downloaded to a usb stick and then loaded to your truck. Word is that they are released every 3-6 months, which seems unrealistic somehow. Just how much changes in such a short amount of time is up for debate. These are optional updates, but i wouldnt let it go for to long. They are apparently free.
Get them from here https://stellantis.navshop.com/#/downloads

Thats different from Rams (Stellantis) uconnect system software updates, which are OTA, except that i believe OTAs are suspended right now, according to a post i read on here somewhere.
This, while they figure out why batteries are going dead on many late model Stellantis vehicles. Suspicion is the vehicles remain "awake" awaiting OTA download completion that has stalled. Many threads on here about that.

My truck was built at the end of 2023 and has TTNAV.28.0.0 released 9/15/22, so older than your version and seemingly out of date more than a year before the truck was built. Strange ? I dunno !

My uconnect software version is MY23.T27.34
Interestingly there was a later version T27.46 released before my truck was built, but my truck didnt get it for some reason. I think by now there is an even later version, but what these updates contain, or are created to repair, fix, enhance, etc is apparently a great mystery we peons are not to be told, or perhaps i just dont know where to find that info. These update versions were designed to be shoved at us over the air without our knowledge or permission whenever The Stellantis Gods want to do so. Should they mess up, and they have, we get to pay a dealer to correct it all !

We buy these vehicles, and are left in the dark about so much. Thanks to forums such as these, we muddle our way through it all - at least I do !!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, a few dumb questions here. My 2024 Limited shows 2023.03.004.28/21995/13182747/44942, says released 4/2023. Last Installed map release date 4/7/2023. But the truck was only just BUILT 12/2023.
First, what’s with the massive amount of numbers after what looks like a 3/2024 install version that was released 4/2023?
Second, what’s your best guess as to why the installed version is not up to date when the truck was built? Not from the factory OR dealer.
Also, the manual says maps will update automatically (with subscription I think, which I have), but I hate to see that attempt to happen with a file that big. While I have fast internet that’s a long time (and by the way, the radio is connected to my home WiFi and it’s never attempted this newest update. I’ve owned the truck about a month.
Lastly anything specific needed to be done if I download onto a thumb drive and then plug into one of the USB drives in the truck? Length of time for updating as well?
Thanks, I don’t have a local dealer just yet and purchased from Mark Dodge. I’ll ask Mark Dodge their thoughts as well, but figured people here seem to be pretty on top of this stuff
Head units are not updated when installed into a new truck, it gets whatever maps and firmware it happens to have.
It does claim you get OTA map updates, but it never works.
OTA firmware updates never work for some people.
There are 2 dates for each map update, the date on the website for the download, and a different date in the xml file inside.
Maps do get updates 3-6 months since 2022. The maps are provided directly by Tomtom via a website that looks like it's hosted by Ram (which it isn't). If/when Ram breaks their contract with tomtom map updates will likely no longer be available to download. Likely not for another 5 years or more assuming they don't change providers again.
Just need an empty 32gb or bigger usb stick and a way to get the map files on it to update. Takes over 30 minutes and you can drive while it's going it without a map. I use a 128gb formatted as ntfs, just put the files on the root of the drive and insert stick into usb below the radio and it will ask for permission to update.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Thanks Dark. Interesting about the preloaded head units. I mean why should we expect a new vehicle/device to be loaded with the most current software. Amazing !
Latest available version is 2023/12. If new releases are every 3-6 months, ill wait for the next one.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks Dark. Interesting about the preloaded head units. I mean why should we expect a new vehicle/device to be loaded with the most current software. Amazing !
Latest available version is 2023/12. If new releases are every 3-6 months, ill wait for the next one.
I would expect them to be up to date, but it's just not how it happens sometimes.
Maybe a PDI at the dealership to check all firmwares, likely never happen anyways though.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I would format a removable usb drive in exFAT it is universal and can be read from and written to by almost any device these days, running any OS, from Windows, through Linux to macOS, iOS and Android.

NTFS is generally read-only on other platforms, but there are drivers that allow writing on many platforms, but are often classed experimental.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would format a removable usb drive in exFAT it is universal and can be read from and written to by almost any device these days, running any OS, from Windows, through Linux to macOS, iOS and Android.

NTFS is generally read-only on other platforms, but there are drivers that allow writing on many platforms, but are often classed experimental.
I have never gotten exfat to work on UC5, you would think it would be more compatible then NTFS, but for me it has not been.

23RAM

Reaction score
I mean why should we expect a new vehicle/device to be loaded with the most current software. Amazing !
Expecting that is foolish. It takes months of lead time to order parts to be available to install them on the assembly line. Same goes for almost anything you buy in a store today - it was made months ago before you get your hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread