5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nanny features!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s all great until your out of warranty and have to pay obscene amounts of money out of pocket to fix these electronic nanny’s. Especially when they affect other systems in the truck which you know they will.

Get an extended warranty you say……that’s great but either way your still paying.

After driving vehicles with this stuff on since the beginning I honestly can say none of them ever prevented a crash or saved my life.

My opinion is some of this stuff is getting out of hand and just creating less capable drivers who can’t think for themselves anymore. Pretty sure many would panic these days if their reverse camera died or would get lost if their navigation app crashed.😆

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You still miss it, His point is, what if your toddler walked behind a car with an unskilled driver, and it didn't have these safety features? Your toddler would no longer toddle.
"unskilled driver"
Idiots are going to kill people no matter what, a parking sensor will not prevent a kid from getting ran over.

There is FCW forward collision warning and another called pedestrian emergency braking for going forward.
These are both differnet "features" and have their own respective turn off switches. You can have the truck let you drive right into a car, but still have it prevent you hitting a person in theory.

For backing up into a "toddler" the truck has no idea what is behind it, as they could of done the same thing and only break if it's going to hit a person, but they didn't do that and it will break for anything it thinks is anything going backwards.
In addition this only engages at slow speeds so 10-15 mph or whatever going backwards it wouldn't stop, or even try to stop either. Most of the time I am backing up into my carport it beeps and says the sensors are not available due to speed.

So no. I still "miss it" as it doesn't make any sense

My opinion is some of this stuff is getting out of hand and just creating less capable drivers who can’t think for themselves anymore. Pretty sure many would panic these days if their reverse camera died or would get lost if their navigation app crashed.😆
And that scares the sh*t out of me is people who learn on these idiot proof systems

vincentw56

Reaction score
And that scares the sh*t out of me is people who learn on these idiot proof systems

The fact is there are millions of drivers out there that suck at driving. Some have been driving before these Nanny systems where invented. Some are new drivers. But you all that are perfect drivers that have never had an accident that was your fault these aren't for you. They're for all the other idiots out there that don't know how to drive properly and never learned regardless of Nanny systems or not. I'd rather have these systems on vehicles to protect me from other idiots. But everyone on this forum seems to be perfect drivers with no accidents on their license that was their fault in the history of their driving. These systems aren't for you.

Dewey

Reaction score
The fact is there are millions of drivers out there that suck at driving. Some have been driving before these Nanny systems where invented. Some are new drivers. But you all that are perfect drivers that have never had an accident that was your fault these aren't for you. They're for all the other idiots out there that don't know how to drive properly and never learned regardless of Nanny systems or not. I'd rather have these systems on vehicles to protect me from other idiots. But everyone on this forum seems to be perfect drivers with no accidents on their license that was their fault in the history of their driving. These systems aren't for you.
Your right….it’s for these people.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Learning how to drive on a car with no cameras and assisted braking will make them a better driver.

May as well just force all cars to be EVs and only self driving and make it illigal to drive a vehicle on a public road unless it's driven by a computer.

Just last week someone who was parked on the road threw it in reverse and drove right into my coworkers brick house front wall. No nanny system is going to prevent stupid from happening.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I apologize, I forgot darksteel165 is the smartest human on earth and would never produce a child that would make a mistake. Thanks to his gene pool the human race will be limited on dumb mistakes. Except for its "brake"
not "break", please do not let your kid see this simple mistake and confuse it with stupid.

Jako

Reaction score
You missed the point. You could have the smartest toddler ever.... until you ****ing don't.

NTSB just trying to fix stupid and interfering with Darwinism.
To:
Imagine if you child didn't get that chance, yet there was a safety feature that could have saved them.
It's not always about the driver.

It would read better if I had added ignorance with stupidity.
1. Ignorance implies a lack of awareness, while stupidity implies the inability to understand.

2. Ignorance can be removed by the acquisition of knowledge, while a stupid person is intrinsically so, and therefore difficult to reform.

3. Ignorance is caused by the circumstances of one’s life, whereas stupidity is due to an attitude problem or mental deficiency in the person concerned.

My point being that NTSB is trying to stop people from getting hurt/killed. Some of those actions are because people are ignorant and or stupid.

Seat belts being required was not enough, needed to add alarms with lights and buzzers.

Do people check tire pressures? Do they even now know what TPMS stands for?

From: What You Need to Know About Backup Cameras | Edmunds
"Finally, backup cameras are only effective if you use them. A study conducted at the University of Massachusetts found that just 20 percent of the drivers in its sample group looked at their rearview monitors when backing up. And the study also found that 46 percent of the group who failed to watch the monitor did look at it when an alarm sounded, indicating that the vehicle was getting close to an object. Since most modern rearview systems do have alarms, it's likely that your next vehicle will remind you to keep an eye on your monitor."

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Have you seen what schools are putting out these days? Kids can't even read a clock with hands. They only teach printing, not cursive writing, they use calculators for math.
Right??? They don't even teach kids how to put a yoke on their oxen to pull the wagon. Something about driving "cars" instead 😜

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You still miss it, His point is, what if your toddler walked behind a car with an unskilled driver, and it didn't have these safety features? Your toddler would no longer toddle.
Darwin 1.

Idiot "walk behind moving car" gene pool 0.

That gene pool is just crazy rampant in parking lots and cities. I was taught "look both ways before crossing the street". Now the rule seems to be "never look away from your phone. Stagger out in front of anyone, they will stop". What the heck happened? Especially a car backing out of a parking spot, who has the better field of vision?

6of36

Reaction score
Right??? They don't even teach kids how to put a yoke on their oxen to pull the wagon. Something about driving "cars" instead 😜
Those things aren't close to yoking an oxen. Have you ever had a young person who when the total is something like $12.37, and you give them $15.12, so you only get back singles and quarters? They stand there having no clue how to give change. They can't do basic math without a calculator. We play Yahtzee, and my 18 year old granddaughter pulls out her phone, to add the score.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Learning how to drive on a car with no cameras and assisted braking will make them a better driver.

May as well just force all cars to be EVs and only self driving and make it illigal to drive a vehicle on a public road unless it's driven by a computer.

Just last week someone who was parked on the road threw it in reverse and drove right into my coworkers brick house front wall. No nanny system is going to prevent stupid from happening.
Missed the point of my comment again.

1923bob

Reaction score
Some of that is true, but I don't want my kids to be idiots who need technology to save\run their life.

1: Tazer DT can stop this (expensive)
2: You can disable this. Get in shut the door and buckle up. Turn the truck to run then remove your buckle and re buckle 3 times. then remove the buckle and start the engine.
3: Put your truck into tow haul mode and you should be able to do this. Sometimes it still will change your gear and or apply the e brake
4: You can leave the sensors on and just turn off the break assist. That's what I do
I love the Tazer DT

killerformula

Reaction score
I see the value of having these features from the factory, but there are legitimate, usually work or off-reading purposes for doing some of the things I mentioned. I think they ought to be easier to turn off.

That said, in reply to the above: When I was a kid I remember my parents constantly explaining to me to never walk behind a car with its reverse lights on, and to be careful if you’re walking behind a car that’s running. Of course the reason being they might not see you and they could hit you. These days, I feel like everybody is deer in the headlights and just walks behind my truck, sometimes even when I’m already in motion! They just don’t bother looking or just assume I’ll stop. It’s so weird.

You guys are right we are just breeding better idiots.

dstevens

Reaction score
Hey guys,

3. If your door isn’t shut and you put the car in drive or reverse, it will slam into park and sometimes it’s a pain to get it to go again.

4. I know they can be adjusted, but the trucks sensors love to panic stop you when you’re reversing slowly toward an object.

Great truck but clearly lawyers were far too involved in the design.

These two get on my nerves. Sometimes it is good to be able to look out of the door as you back up.

A real pet peeve is backing out of a driveway and the truck slam on brakes because it sees the road behind me. The first time it did this it really startled me. I thought there was a kid or something that I didn't see.

Yes these are great safety features. But like the boy who cried wolf, too many false positives and folks will disable them and just do without.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Magredvet

Reaction score
Speaking of Nannies......in this new 24, I keep getting a message in the display " check back seat"....and I'm thinking , what on earth could be wrong with the back seat ?
Then it dawned on me....they put this message, up because apparently some people are so distracted, that they have left their child in the rear seat, and gone to work or whatever, and the child has ended up dying, by being left in a hot vehicle.
Seriously ? if you are stupid enough to leave your child in the vehicle, you shouldn't be trusted to drive. Good grief!

Users who are viewing this thread