5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery shhh-shhh-shh rubbing noise

boldram

Reaction score
2019, 1500 42,000 miles. No mechanical issues, top shape. Lately when turning right, only right, I hear a fainted shh-shh-shh rubbing noise, turning 10-15 mph. Checked tire well, mud flaps, limiters etc. No indication of anything rubbing against each other. Front end and steering in excellent condition, car drives fine. Drives me nuts. Sound does not bother me but what causes it.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wheel bearings start with a little bit of rubbing sound. 500 miles later they glow red to let you know that they are bad 😕

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first guess would be worn brake pads or warped brake rotor. At 42,000 miles if you do a lot of start and stop driving you are probably due for brake service.

boldram

Reaction score
Why would it be only at a very slow speed turn and turning right only. Sound is hardly audible. Once vehicle goes straight or left above 15 mph, sound disappears. Most people wont even notice any sound unless you drive this car everyday.

boldram

Reaction score
My first guess would be worn brake pads or warped brake rotor. At 42,000 miles if you do a lot of start and stop driving you are probably due for brake service.
brakes at above 50%, rotors are baby bud.

boldram

Reaction score
Wheel bearings start with a little bit of rubbing sound. 500 miles later they glow red to let you know that they are bad 😕
I thought wheel bearings noise is constant and gets louder with speed. In my case it is fainted and only when i turn right at 10-15 miles ph., otherwise there is no noise at all.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like brakes. May have a caliper sticking a bit, or maybe a pad has picked up a bit of road grit or a rust flake.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
brakes at above 50%, rotors are baby bud.

Not sure what "baby bud" means, but unless you have used a dial indicator to measure runout you can't really tell if your rotors are good.

If you do much city driving at all, it's very likely you will need your brake rotors turned at 42000 miles even if your brake pads are still good.

As your brakes heat, subsequent application of the brakes will leave tiny patches of brake material on the rotors and these patches will eventually grow in size until they are tall enough to lightly rub on the brake pads under certain conditions. Instead of being evenly distributed around the rotor, they are like a wave around the rotor which results in the on-off "shh-shh-shh" sound. If you have significantly overheated your brakes it's possible the rotor is warped.

It's been my experience the symptoms you describe while turning are atypical of a brake rotor issue causing the pad to intermittently rub. Could be a wheel bearing, but that would be my second choice.

Either way it's probably not going to get better. If the rotors gets worse you will begin to feel pulsing in the steering wheel when braking. If the bearing gets worse you may start hearing a loud screech then potentially see your wheel & tire pass you when driving down the highway.

boldram

Reaction score
Not sure what "baby bud" means, but unless you have used a dial indicator to measure runout you can't really tell if your rotors are good.

If you do much city driving at all, it's very likely you will need your brake rotors turned at 42000 miles even if your brake pads are still good.

As your brakes heat, subsequent application of the brakes will leave tiny patches of brake material on the rotors and these patches will eventually grow in size until they are tall enough to lightly rub on the brake pads under certain conditions. Instead of being evenly distributed around the rotor, they are like a wave around the rotor which results in the on-off "shh-shh-shh" sound. If you have significantly overheated your brakes it's possible the rotor is warped.

It's been my experience the symptoms you describe while turning are atypical of a brake rotor issue causing the pad to intermittently rub. Could be a wheel bearing, but that would be my second choice.

Either way it's probably not going to get better. If the rotors gets worse you will begin to feel pulsing in the steering wheel when braking. If the bearing gets worse you may start hearing a loud screech then potentially see your wheel & tire pass you when driving down the highway.
I see your point. I have experienced rotor noise on other vehicles and this is more of rubber/plastic low pitch fainted intermittent noise only when turning right at 10-15 mph almost bringing steering to the turning limit, NOT engaging brakes. I found some Dodge technical bulletins describing this issue. For now i will monitor. Dealerships not willing to do anything for now.

cerbo

Reaction score
sounds like a brake pad just dragging a little. Maybe they are junked up and just not floating as they did at one point. Not really an issue. I lived in the snowball for sometime and would pull brakes, pins etc apart every two years or so just to Clean everything up even when the pads were still good. Jack I up and hand spin the wheels and maybe you find something.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disk brakes tend to be noisy out of the gate, compared to drums. It's all out in the open, not contained. Last year I put new brakes all around on my Mazda and used metallic pads, sort of on a whim but also for maximum whoa. It'll stop on a dime, but they are noisy. It does like you describe the first thing in the morning and for a couple of turns until it warms up and settles in. And I know it's all lubed and working the way it's supposed to, because I did it myself. I probably won't do full metallics again now that I know, but I'm okay with it. It's a work car, not a pillow.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
There’s a TSB for the power steering. Mine made a noice before they flashed the BCM

Users who are viewing this thread