5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Tank Of Gas MPG

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Didn't figure to happen upon a hypermiler thread in the Ram forums. Anyone building dustbin fairings or nosecones?
What mileage is unsatisfactory for a heavy, luxury loaded, v8 400hp pickup used as a DD? I'd be cool with like, 12mpg if it had 500hp, but for what it is I need to see 15mpg combined to not be a little pissed off when I have to fill it. Right now I'm doing better than that and would be disinclined to trade it for anything, except maybe the same truck with a 6.2, why can't I get a 6.2......?

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Didn't figure to happen upon a hypermiler thread in the Ram forums. Anyone building dustbin fairings or nosecones?
What mileage is unsatisfactory for a heavy, luxury loaded, v8 400hp pickup used as a DD? I'd be cool with like, 12mpg if it had 500hp, but for what it is I need to see 15mpg combined to not be a little pissed off when I have to fill it. Right now I'm doing better than that and would be disinclined to trade it for anything, except maybe the same truck with a 6.2, why can't I get a 6.2......?
Aww, c’mon Heavy! You know you’re coasting to a stop 4 blocks away and shifting to neutral downhill. Right? JK.😎

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 gets 17-17.5 average with 75% highway 25% city. It has been slightly improving the more it’s been driven. My 2019 mileage improved after the first oil change as well.

mophead

Reaction score
Couple quickies; Myth Busters busted the tailgate down thingy. NEVER had a vehicle that got EPA est mileage. I'm a bit heavy footed so don't expect to. However with my driving style I am within est. with my Mazda 6. Avg is 30.2 mpg with a 60% H 40% suburbia mix. To work is slightly downhill most of the way I get out of the car with a 37mpg trip avg. Home, slightly uphill 32mpg trip avg. The part that kills me is the 3-5 mile round trip to the stores, only 25. I do get slightly less in winter and tire pressure makes a huge difference if they are even slightly underinflated. I can't wait to get another Ram, but not looking forward to the gas bill. Hopefully retirement will reduce the monthly enough for me to care less.

Darkrt

Reaction score
Checked mine last fill up and got 15.19. 2021 1500 hemi e-torque. Comb city and hi-way.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Remote start and leaving the truck idling for any reason will lower mpg a lot. Be easy on the throttle and set the cruise helps too. I’m getting 17.2 avg mixed city hey driving with a lot of idling at stores, drove thrus, etc

Chuck19

Reaction score
Are all you guys that are getting bad MPG going off hand calculation or what the truck is telling you? When i hand calculate my truck is telling me i am getting about 2 mpg worse than i actually am. Just a thought might explain some of these terrible numbers. I am currently getting 15.3 city with eTorque activated and 19.2 hwy going about 75-80 mph. I just ordered a 2021 and hope i dont start getting what you guys are seeing.

Darkrt

Reaction score
Mine was hand calculated,15.19. It was out of curiosity and having owned several Hemis, gas mileage is not a consideration.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I drove over the mountain to Central Oregon to ride my dirt bike all weekend. Traffic was light ish but I did hit the limiter several times passing lines of cars. Mostly 65-70 cruising and running around the high desert to the hotel and back out to staging area etc. Lightly loaded with bike, gear and toolbox. Hand calculated at 19.3 for entire trip. Not bad for a big v8. I do use cruise a lot. I wonder if people seeing the bad numbers never use cruise.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I drove over the mountain to Central Oregon to ride my dirt bike all weekend. Traffic was light ish but I did hit the limiter several times passing lines of cars. Mostly 65-70 cruising and running around the high desert to the hotel and back out to staging area etc. Lightly loaded with bike, gear and toolbox. Hand calculated at 19.3 for entire trip. Not bad for a big v8. I do use cruise a lot. I wonder if people seeing the bad numbers never use cruise.
The MPG numbers you show, what is your truck, engine, and gearing please.
Jim

BigEarl62

Reaction score
I have talked to (5) five different people @ the local refinery we do alot of work for and they all said the same thing at different times " There is no winter / summer blend of GASOLINE, DIESEL yes, but not normal GASOLINE". and yes I live where it's cold.
Take a look at this article. Blending gasoline to meet EPA/State regulations is wild. 14 different types of summer gas depending on distribution area. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15339380/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained/

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find using the cruise helps alot. Also, not remote starting my truck 15 minutes before I leave.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Scrolling through the thread I noticed something a bit odd. Some of them with better mpg were 4x4. Has that ever been normal for a 4x4 to have better than a 2wd? Even in 2wd the 4x4 is carrying extra weight. Most of the posts in this thread are current, ( winter ), going to be interesting as summer approaches and a/c's are on.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m in Louisiana my AC has been on since January. 😬

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a car car App "Car Care" that calculates the true fuel mileage each time I fill up.

Fuel Graph.png
I have averaged 18.6 MPG with this truck.

It is a 4X4 truck and I have switched out the factory tires for Rebel wheels & tires. I would probably be getting better if I had stayed with the factory wheels & tires.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not bad at all. Pretty similar to what I get.

whats the app called?

Patamaran

Reaction score
My bighorn has gotten me about 18 mpg over the course of its first tank, if it goes up a bit after break in ill be totally satisfied. there is basically no city driving here, 90% Highway.

The axle ratio plays a factor, most of the low MPG numbers are coming from 3.92 gear ratios, but also keep in mind that if you idle a lot, technically your mpg becomes 0 for that period of time. Averaging out the distance travelled for every gallon in the tank, and having 1 or 2 of those gallons being zero, severely skews the end result.

if you burn 3 gallons idling, which is plausible if you remote start, include waiting at stop signs, traffic lights, grandma crossing the road...etc you have just burnt 12% of your tank, with no distance to account for it. that's going to mess up your numbers noticeably.

Users who are viewing this thread