5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Tank Of Gas MPG

D52670

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Ram 1500. 5.7 and I am averaging 11.5 mph. And I drive slow... most of the time I can remain in entry/exit mode. When I’m running around town. I dont know how the window sticker advertises 17/22. I have about 800 miles on my truck and it has not improved at all...

Kenny4

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Ram 1500. 5.7 and I am averaging 11.5 mph. And I drive slow... most of the time I can remain in entry/exit mode. When I’m running around town. I dont know how the window sticker advertises 17/22. I have about 800 miles on my truck and it has not improved at all...
Yike!!---Is yours 4x4? Mine is 2wd.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score

Use 2WD, put the tailgate down and fold in your side mirrors. 😄

Ramen_1500

Reaction score
On my first tank of gas, ( 2021 ), I drove almost exactly 50% freeway and 50% in town. My mpg were 13.8. No loads or towing. I can't imagine what it would be towing. Is this normal for the Hemi? Thanks
Got a 2021 BH 4x4 V8 with the etorque system and 3.21 gearing because I didn’t want the 3.92. Don’t really tow or haul. I got that exact MPG of 13.8, I drive back and forth to work mostly highways too. Got my truck now for about two weeks and I can’t get anywhere near what the window sticker is showing.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Use 2WD, put the tailgate down and fold in your side mirrors. 😄
Depends on what you believe. According to this article: " We found that adding a tonneau cover or lowering the tailgate hurt fuel economy, rather than helped it." I did seem to get better mileage as per the article, but it was to short to draw a real conclusion.
No advice on mirrors. :unsure:

Michaelpotter7518

Reaction score
On my first tank of gas, ( 2021 ), I drove almost exactly 50% freeway and 50% in town. My mpg were 13.8. No loads or towing. I can't imagine what it would be towing. Is this normal for the Hemi? Thanks
[

You will get better mpg with break in

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I found a way to double my mileage; when I walk out to my 1500, I keep walking past it and get into my Subaru (4 cyl/ non turbo). All kidding aside, I have never owned a vehicle ( I’ve owned 17 new) that gets the stated mileage on the window sticker. My Saabs, Subarus and BMW were the closest. I think it’s a crime that manufacturers can post numbers that can only be achieved on a test track with ideal conditions and not in mixed real-world driving. I believe if you can get within 20% of the posted number that is probably realistic.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Mine is a 4x4. But it is in 2wd. I had put it in AWD for a few days because we had some snow.. I averaged 9mpg. 😬
Wouldn't the extra weight and friction whether 4x4 was engaged or not, make a difference in mpg.

Jako

Reaction score
I found a way to double my mileage; when I walk out to my 1500, I keep walking past it and get into my Subaru (4 cyl/ non turbo). All kidding aside, I have never owned a vehicle ( I’ve owned 17 new) that gets the stated mileage on the window sticker. My Saabs, Subarus and BMW were the closest. I think it’s a crime that manufacturers can post numbers that can only be achieved on a test track with ideal conditions and not in mixed real-world driving. I believe if you can get within 20% of the posted number that is probably realistic.
I have beaten my 21 hwy a few times (straight, flat and speed limit helps). If I get to within 20% city of 15 I'm happy, usually 11-13 and a few 10s.

This from
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/tiguan-2021

Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG

With front-wheel drive, the Tiguan earned fuel economy ratings from the EPA of 23 mpg city and 29 mpg highway; adding all-wheel drive reduces those estimates to 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway. Both the front- and all-wheel-drive Tiguans we tested on our 75-mph highway fuel-economy route, which is part of our extensive testing regimen vastly outperformed our expectations (and their EPA ratings). In our real-world-mpg test, the FWD version earned 32 mpg and the AWD version earned 33 mpg. Not only did both models crack 30 mpg, but they either matched or bettered the efforts of many of their rivals.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I have beaten my 21 hwy a few times (straight, flat and speed limit helps). If I get to within 20% city of 15 I'm happy, usually 11-13 and a few 10s.

This from
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/tiguan-2021

Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG

With front-wheel drive, the Tiguan earned fuel economy ratings from the EPA of 23 mpg city and 29 mpg highway; adding all-wheel drive reduces those estimates to 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway. Both the front- and all-wheel-drive Tiguans we tested on our 75-mph highway fuel-economy route, which is part of our extensive testing regimen vastly outperformed our expectations (and their EPA ratings). In our real-world-mpg test, the FWD version earned 32 mpg and the AWD version earned 33 mpg. Not only did both models crack 30 mpg, but they either matched or bettered the efforts of many of their rivals.
Jako,
I can’t really argue with the article. I’ll take it at face value. However, I think this example actually proves the basic issue that fuel economy numbers on the window sticker are not accurate and the average consumer doesn’t really know what numbers to expect.
Since VW just recently paid millions of dollars in fines for falsifying fuel economy numbers, it wouldn’t be a stretch to believe they would now purposely underestimate those numbers. If a manufacturer delivers numbers that meet regulations and beat the window sticker, that’s a big win for both.
Too many references to cite, but google “VW fuel economy scandal”. You’ll have plenty to read.

Jako

Reaction score
Jako,
I can’t really argue with the article. I’ll take it at face value. However, I think this example actually proves the basic issue that fuel economy numbers on the window sticker are not accurate and the average consumer doesn’t really know what numbers to expect.
Since VW just recently paid millions of dollars in fines for falsifying fuel economy numbers, it wouldn’t be a stretch to believe they would now purposely underestimate those numbers. If a manufacturer delivers numbers that meet regulations and beat the window sticker, that’s a big win for both.
Too many references to cite, but google “VW fuel economy scandal”. You’ll have plenty to read.
I was looking at the Tiquan at one time. The sales manager was a former NYC EMT and I a retired NYC fireman, both down at WTC. We hit it off and I think he was sincere as far as giving me the best price and told me about the MPG. Back in the day I checked it out and based on the internet he was telling me the truth. Somewhere on this forum was a discussion on the testing and I believe a lot of it is self certification with I assume (dangerous) the EPA doing checks. Whether it is VW or the testing procedure the result is the same that the MPG is better than quoted.

How and where they do these tests has also been discussed somewhere. I do know this - city driving is NOT NYC driving and I will always get significant reduction in numbers. For me traffic is one issue but for the most part I am lucky if I can drive a 1/4 mile and not stop for something so my city driving MPG is horrendous. I have no complaints on highway MPG. I have done several 400 mile runs to Buffalo and back and I believe have never gotten below 19 and have had some 22 mpg, best ever was 24 mpg on I 95 coming from down south. If I do the speed limit, utilize cruise control and no traffic all is good.

The Moroney sticker mpg is for comparison. How legit if it is up to the manufacturer and I assume some checking with the EPA or other governmental agency. Hopefully what happened with VW keeps them honest or close to honest.

Believe it or not at one time it was between the Tiquan and the Ram. Tiquan was eliminated because of the console that restricted my right knee.

Don't recall my wife's 2017 6 speed Honda Civic's mpg but I did get 47 mpg coming back from Buffalo with pure high octane gasoline once.

Have mpg for all my vehicles hand calculated in addition to display.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for your service with the NYC FD. I have tremendous respect for first responders. Most people do not give the respect and acknowledgement due to FRs and LE.
“Whether it is VW or the testing procedure the result is the same that the MPG is better than quoted” . True, but just emphasizes my point that consumers don’t really know what numbers to expect regarding fuel economy.
My Ram can average over 20 on the hiway with reasonable foot control, not a fan of the adaptive cruise control, but still reasonable for a heavy V8.

Jako

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for your service with the NYC FD. I have tremendous respect for first responders. Most people do not give the respect and acknowledgement due to FRs and LE.
“Whether it is VW or the testing procedure the result is the same that the MPG is better than quoted” . True, but just emphasizes my point that consumers don’t really know what numbers to expect regarding fuel economy.
My Ram can average over 20 on the hiway with reasonable foot control, not a fan of the adaptive cruise control, but still reasonable for a heavy V8.
"don’t really know what numbers to expect regarding fuel economy."
Well that seems to be the scenario for the same vehicle. It seems some are not happy with their Ram's mpg versus what it is rated.
I checked my Ram's mpg and the lowest I have is 3 tanks less than 11 mpg (none below 10) in 22,000 + miles and have exceeded the hwy mpg on several occasions. Overall for 22,495 miles I have 16.6 mpg, while it is rated at 17 mpg. I'll blame the .4 on living with NYC stop and go traffic, 10% ethanol, winter gas blend and just winter cold temperatures with short trips (Ram's hungry if cold).

Viewing some of the driving habits I see locally along with driving conditions there is no way some can come close to the advertised mpg.

Looking at info from my 2001 Dodge SLT 1500 out of the first 74 fill ups I have 6 over 16 mpg (none at 17) with it rated at 16 mpg hwy.

In general I would say that I do not expect to get the mpg advertised all the time but it is attainable depending on a lot of the "right" conditions or I should say similar to test conditions. I will never get the advertised city mpg as testing conditions and my driving conditions lack correlation but I can still use advertised mpg for comparison and I believe very few will be over as per the Tiquan.

No explanation for the variance in mpg for similarly equipped Rams.

Stan&Donna

Reaction score

Stan&Donna

Reaction score
same here. hope it improves

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well Dr. Richard you are absolutely right about the heavy foot to hear the exhaust, but I doubt if the novelty will wear off. It's going to be pricey for me as I'll be using it 90% in town driving.

To those concerned with winter/summer gas, what about altitude gas variants. When we would go from So Cal to St. Anthony Dunes in Idaho they would tell us to bring our own local fuel as we'd have to rejet our quads to run properly. Now I know you have to rejet for the altitude change but not for the gas.
I live at 6,700 Feet and the gas here is 85 octane. It works fine and no knocking or pinging and my truck is completely broken in at 46K miles and I am getting around 15.2MPG average but I do not have a rebel but I do have bigger tires than stock. Swapped 285/45/22 to 305/45/22 which added .72 Inches to the height of the overall tire and a couple pounds.

Amplify249

Reaction score
I'm about 1/2 way through my first tank, 60% highway 40% city. I'm sitting about 16 right now.

alexmiami

Reaction score
I am doing mostly city driving, with the non etorque Hemi on 2WD with 3.92 and I am getting about 11.8mpg

Users who are viewing this thread