5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Tank Of Gas MPG

Kenny4

Reaction score
On my first tank of gas, ( 2021 ), I drove almost exactly 50% freeway and 50% in town. My mpg were 13.8. No loads or towing. I can't imagine what it would be towing. Is this normal for the Hemi? Thanks

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's about right for a Rebel, with 3.92 rear axle and 33" tires, but a little low for a 2WD non-Rebel, even with a 3.92 rear axle.

It should improve a bit as your engine wears-in more. I've noticed, at least for me, the Hemi sucks fuel at a prodigious rate when on heavy throttle, almost like a turbo motor in boost, which sucks gas down. Most naturally aspirated V8s I've owned seem to have a more linear rate of fuel consumption in relation to throttle inputs, the Hemi seems to go exponentially higher the more you press on the throttle.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It should improve as things wear in.

50% town, if it included a lot of idling at lights, will kill mileage. There was another fuel economy thread recently where someone calculated some outrageous amount of fuel, like 2 oz per minute, idling.

If you've already installed the new exhaust, I suspect you've been hitting the pedal harder than normal just to hear the sound. Once the novelty of that wears off, economy should also improve.

It's too soon to panic. I get around 15 when it's all town driving. Even a little freeway boosts the screen average up to 18ish. The wife and I took a Sunday drive and I averaged 21.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
On my first tank of gas, ( 2021 ), I drove almost exactly 50% freeway and 50% in town. My mpg were 13.8. No loads or towing. I can't imagine what it would be towing. Is this normal for the Hemi? Thanks
Kenny. That’s not out of the norm. Will improve (somewhat) with break-in. You‘re also on Winter gas, will improve with Summer blend. I’m avg 15.5 with a 40/60 hiway/around town, w/25k on the odo. TBH, I also drive like an old lady/man, except for the several times a week I floor it!
Looking at the window sticker and expecting that is not reality (You probably already knew that, but were just hoping). Those mileage numbers are just slightly less exaggerated then the promises our elected officials give. Actually, I’m not sure which is more exaggerated.
I hope you enjoy your truck. The 1500 is an awesome piece of engineering, but not a Prius.

Jako

Reaction score
Hemi is thirsty until warmed up in cold weather, throw in winter blend and mpg takes a hit. Short trips in the winter really hurts my overall mpg. I have no idea how detrimental 4 wheel drive with snow effects the mpg also.
My best mpg is on flat straight roads and doing the speed limit.

Burnzie

Reaction score
I have talked to (5) five different people @ the local refinery we do alot of work for and they all said the same thing at different times " There is no winter / summer blend of GASOLINE, DIESEL yes, but not normal GASOLINE". and yes I live where it's cold.

Richard320

Reaction score
I have talked to (5) five different people @ the local refinery we do alot of work for and they all said the same thing at different times " There is no winter / summer blend of GASOLINE, DIESEL yes, but not normal GASOLINE". and yes I live where it's cold.
Well, where I live, there IS a difference between Summer and Winter. Check out this page and scroll down until you reach PADD 5 Gasoline Specifications. Or look at the county map of California a little further down and tell me what those rollout dates mean. https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-09/2020-09_Petroleum_Watch_ADA.pdf

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Burnside- Not disputing what you have said, only know that my mileage goes UP in the Spring/Summer. I’ve always heard of Summer/Winter blends for gasoline. Better mileage maybe because of temps, etc. I don’t know. YMMV.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Well I guess the 2 Engineers and 3 Formen I work with are wrong.

Richard320

Reaction score
Well I guess the 2 Engineers and 3 Formen I work with are wrong.
I guess they are. Things may be different in Minnesota but I just posted proof that there are different blends by season, at least in California, Arizona, and Nevada. So if you and your "experts" presume to speak for the whole United States, you all are wrong. Get it? WRONG. So save your snark. Just admit you made a mistake.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I rarely drive on the highway and I consistently get around 11mpg. When I drive long distances on the highway I get about 18- 20. Since my last fill I’m getting 9.6 but i use my remote start a lot

Kenny4

Reaction score
It should improve as things wear in.

50% town, if it included a lot of idling at lights, will kill mileage. There was another fuel economy thread recently where someone calculated some outrageous amount of fuel, like 2 oz per minute, idling.

If you've already installed the new exhaust, I suspect you've been hitting the pedal harder than normal just to hear the sound. Once the novelty of that wears off, economy should also improve.

It's too soon to panic. I get around 15 when it's all town driving. Even a little freeway boosts the screen average up to 18ish. The wife and I took a Sunday drive and I averaged 21.
Well Dr. Richard you are absolutely right about the heavy foot to hear the exhaust, but I doubt if the novelty will wear off. It's going to be pricey for me as I'll be using it 90% in town driving.

To those concerned with winter/summer gas, what about altitude gas variants. When we would go from So Cal to St. Anthony Dunes in Idaho they would tell us to bring our own local fuel as we'd have to rejet our quads to run properly. Now I know you have to rejet for the altitude change but not for the gas.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't imagine what it would be towing. Is this normal for the Hemi? Thanks

It depends on what your towing.

An open car trailer with minimal aerodynamic drag won’t have a significant effect on mpg. But a travel trailer with 60 sq-ft frontal area will get you 7-9 mpg

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somewhere in the 13s is about right for a good bit of city driving.

That is my situation and I sit right at 13.6-13.8. If I get on the interstate for a few hours it will go up to around 17.

Does not get any better with more miles on the engine...at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread