5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 1st RAM

Reaction score
Hi group, I just bought a 2021 RAM Limited, night edition. It’s a beautiful truck, but just a few questions for whoever out there may be able to help.
Q1. I’ve read over the years about the incredibly smooth ride RAMS offer. I’m coming from a Silverado, so sure, that air suspension is nice…….but maybe not as nice as I expected. The bumps are properly muted, however, the truck does bob up and down and doesn’t sail smooth per se, so the question is- am I expecting too much or should I get it checked out by the dealership? The truck did have 6700 miles on it ( this got me a great price BTW), but who knows what the last guy did, right?
Q2. I couldn’t get out of the driveway this morning because the truck kept self braking. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to go wipe off the little round sensor gigamoroos on the rear bumper. That worked. Story over? No. It happened again later in the day, this time it was salt residue. How can I keep this from recurring?
Thanks group, I hope somebody see this…..:)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi group, I just bought a 2021 RAM Limited, night edition. It’s a beautiful truck, but just a few questions for whoever out there may be able to help.
Q1. I’ve read over the years about the incredibly smooth ride RAMS offer. I’m coming from a Silverado, so sure, that air suspension is nice…….but maybe not as nice as I expected. The bumps are properly muted, however, the truck does bob up and down and doesn’t sail smooth per se, so the question is- am I expecting too much or should I get it checked out by the dealership? The truck did have 6700 miles on it ( this got me a great price BTW), but who knows what the last guy did, right?
Q2. I couldn’t get out of the driveway this morning because the truck kept self braking. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to go wipe off the little round sensor gigamoroos on the rear bumper. That worked. Story over? No. It happened again later in the day, this time it was salt residue. How can I keep this from recurring?
Thanks group, I hope somebody see this…..:)
I can’t answer you question on the air suspension. But if the sensors are causing you trouble, you can disable them temporarily. There should be a hard button somewhere on your center stack that turns them off. I have to do it occasionally when backing up.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I know nothing about the air ride. What you describe sounds like bad shocks, but I don't even know if they have shocks or if it's all integral! The autobrake can be shut off using the settings on the radio. I got tired of mine triggering all the time backing out of my sloped driveway.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, I permanently turned off the cross-path auto-braking in reverse because of my sloped, single-lane driveway. The block wall on one side and staircase on the other side are close enough that the truck constantly braked and sounded that heart-attack-inducing audio alarm - I couldn't even get down the driveway without turning the cross-path-detection system off. In my truck it's a switch at the top of the center stack, grouped with the lane-keep-assist switch (which is also permanently turned off).
EDIT: Sorry for the misinformation above (font has been stricken out). The switch to turn off cross-path detection on my Laramie Longhorn with 12" screen is in the row of switches below the screen. I turned it off, and fortunately it has stayed off permanently once I turned that switch off, it doesn't reset to on every time the truck is shut off.

Last edited:

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome! We have air suspension on both our Ram and Jeep Grand Cherokee and the truck is the smoothest vehicle I’ve ever owned. Even with the E rated mud tires on it. I would expect yours to be the same with such low miles. Some guys also add a different sway bar for a more planted feel.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Silly question, did you check the air pressure in your tires?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same here, I permanently turned off the cross-path auto-braking in reverse because of my sloped, single-lane driveway. The block wall on one side and staircase on the other side are close enough that the truck constantly braked and sounded that heart-attack-inducing audio alarm - I couldn't even get down the driveway without turning the cross-path-detection system off. In my truck it's a switch at the top of the center stack, grouped with the lane-keep-assist switch (which is also permanently turned off).
I'm surprised by this. I had the same issues with reverse auto-braking...but I still use the cross-path detection with no issues. I just disabled the Reverse Braking in Uconnect. Are others having this issue with cross-path detection?

@RamCares - here is more evidence that this "safety feature" is not safer at all, as many users just shut it off because it is way too sensitive. I've had mine jam on the brakes due to exhaust steam fer cryin out loud. Please communicate to Ram engineering.
Silly question, did you check the air pressure in your tires?
That was my first thought too. Also, I'm sure it's minimal but I'd think that the low profile tires on the 22" rims arent the cushiest. If the OP is coming from a tall sidewall that may contribute. If air pressure doesn't solve it I'd go find a new limited and drive them both back to back to compare. Ideally this would be done at the selling dealer. I had 4 corner air and the ride was great, though not that much better than the standard suspension IMHO. I do miss having it for off-roading, towing and maintenance work for sure.

RamCares

Reaction score
I'm surprised by this. I had the same issues with reverse auto-braking...but I still use the cross-path detection with no issues. I just disabled the Reverse Braking in Uconnect. Are others having this issue with cross-path detection?

@RamCares - here is more evidence that this "safety feature" is not safer at all, as many users just shut it off because it is way too sensitive. I've had mine jam on the brakes due to exhaust steam fer cryin out loud. Please communicate to Ram engineering.

That was my first thought too. Also, I'm sure it's minimal but I'd think that the low profile tires on the 22" rims arent the cushiest. If the OP is coming from a tall sidewall that may contribute. If air pressure doesn't solve it I'd go find a new limited and drive them both back to back to compare. Ideally this would be done at the selling dealer. I had 4 corner air and the ride was great, though not that much better than the standard suspension IMHO. I do miss having it for off-roading, towing and maintenance work for sure.
Hi Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback and bringing this to our attention. We will make sure to document accordingly.

Rob
Ram Cares

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something tells me that's going to be stored in the round file.

Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses to my post. Yes, I’ll turn off the rear sensors at least through the winter- what is intended to serve as a safety measure almost got me hit when I expected the truck to reverse to avoid oncoming traffic when backing in- luckily they saw me and just stopped…..and wondered why I was stuck there. Hahaha!? As for the air suspension, it wouldn’t hurt to have the dealership run it through a few diagnostics to assure it’s ok and after that I’d be fine. I’m coming from a 2019 Silverado LTZ which had a somewhat stiffer suspension with leaf suspension so I think I expected to glide on air with my new RAM but that’s not entirely the case as the truck will “bob” somewhat. The only problem I have left with the truck- disembarking from it when I get home. I seem to want to sit in it on the driveway and spend time!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/