5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must have options on your RAM

What is your list of options?

• Total voters

Rau

Reaction score
Please share your favorite build. I think it may be helpful for others who didn't make a call yet :)

And please let me know if I missed anything in the list.

CJR28

Reaction score
One thing I added that my truck doesnt feature is the 33 gallon gas tank. With the 3.92s and bigger tires its a must have. Anyone who is in the building/purchasing step I highly recommend it or the 26 gallon tank even. My 2 cents

CJR28

Reaction score
Ramboxes x 10. They are just so damn convenient. I’m in my second truck with them and I don’t think I could go to a truck that didn’t have them.
Im on my first truck with them and I always wanted them. Now that I have them, its a must. Unless you really need all of the bed space, its a must (y)(y)(y)

Vilas15

Reaction score
One thing I added that my truck doesnt feature is the 33 gallon gas tank. With the 3.92s and bigger tires its a must have. Anyone who is in the building/purchasing step I highly recommend it or the 26 gallon tank even. My 2 cents

Isn't the 26 gallon tank standard? Listed as standard on my 2020 Big Horn.

Remote start was a must-have. Comes on most Big Horns anyways but I almost got a Level 1 with it added.
I'd also like to add heated seats to the poll. I didn't think I'd need them but very glad I've got them.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension is a must. Helps with towing, payload, and comfort immensely.
33 gallon tank obviously isn't needed unless you're trekking hundreds of miles without fuel stations, but it's just really nice to have.
12" display has a nice "wow" factor, but I actually prefer the way the 8.4" screen looks & works - you get more usable screen space for AA/CarPlay, and the screen is brighter and sharper. I don't care for the limited functionality of the split-screen they've implemented with the 12" either.
Adaptive cruise & blind spot are pretty basic nowadays, but I don't want to drive a vehicle without them.
360 cam is excellent.
MFT seems pretty lame and ugly... nothing compared to what GM did with their tailgates.
I took LSD over e-locker, but they both seem a bit pointless. Traction control systems mimic an LSD through braking (though not as effective), and why e-lock the rear when you can just go 4WD and do the same thing?
Love the dual-pane roof. Really helps liven up the inside when the shade is open.
Power running boards are great. Truck looks nice when they're stowed + better breakover clearance, and they go lower than fixed running boards when deployed.
Trailer brake & tow group are situationally dependent... if you need them, get them. But you lose the 360 cam with tow group unless you get a 2021.

Ramboxes x 10. They are just so damn convenient. I’m in my second truck with them and I don’t think I could go to a truck that didn’t have them.
And on the flip side of the coin, I'd never use them! Would only take away from bed space for me (rarely use the bed either). I'm one of those that didn't need a pickup, but just wanted one for the space and occasional practical use.
Isn't the 26 gallon tank standard? Listed as standard on my 2020 Big Horn.

Remote start was a must-have. Comes on most Big Horns anyways but I almost got a Level 1 with it added.
I'd also like to add heated seats to the poll. I didn't think I'd need them but very glad I've got them.
23 is standard.

CJR28

Reaction score
33 gallon tank obviously isn't needed unless you're trekking hundreds of miles without fuel stations, but it's just really nice to have.
12" display has a nice "wow" factor, but I actually prefer the way the 8.4" screen looks & works - you get more usable screen space for AA/CarPlay, and the screen is brighter and sharper. I don't care for the limited functionality of the split-screen they've implemented with the 12" either.
Adaptive cruise & blind spot are pretty basic nowadays, but I don't want to drive a vehicle without them.
360 cam is excellent.
MFT seems pretty lame and ugly... nothing compared to what GM did with their tailgates.
I took LSD over e-locker, but they both seem a bit pointless. Traction control systems mimic an LSD through braking (though not as effective), and why e-lock the rear when you can just go 4WD and do the same thing?
Love the dual-pane roof. Really helps liven up the inside when the shade is open.
Power running boards are great. Truck looks nice when they're stowed + better breakover clearance, and they go lower than fixed running boards when deployed.
Trailer brake & tow group are situationally dependent... if you need them, get them. But you lose the 360 cam with tow group unless you get a 2021.

And on the flip side of the coin, I'd never use them! Would only take away from bed space for me (rarely use the bed either). I'm one of those that didn't need a pickup, but just wanted one for the space and occasional practical use.

23 is standard.
You think you wouldnt use the Ramboxes until you have them, then you discover just how useful they really are. On one side i have pretty much every tool you would ever need for most minor projects, the other side is spare extra storage. Highly recommend them

Rexx

Reaction score

I was a little unsure of the MFT myself (but my truck was on the dealer lot and had everything else I wanted). After having had the truck for 6 months I have to say it’s really nice to have. it makes getting things out of the bed of the truck so much easier. I almost never open my tailgate as a normal tailgate anymore.

That said, it took awhile for the look of the MFT to grow on me but I like it now.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While I ordered my truck with everything except the tow group (due to the infamous pre-2021 tow mirrors), I’ve only voted for the absolute “must haves” here (including class differentiators such as RamBox, air suspension, and the 12” screen, for example).

jastevenson

Reaction score
i love the idea if the RamBox, but from what I’ve read, it prevents a tonneau cover from making a good seal worth the truck bed, resulting in a lot of water leakage.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i love the idea if the RamBox, but from what I’ve read, it prevents a tonneau cover from making a good seal worth the truck bed, resulting in a lot of water leakage.

Not really there’s plenty of available covers that seal great. Remember now all covers leak to a certain extent. Usually from the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Learned a lot from what I lacked with my 14 Express.

Must have

-Rambox (genius being able to put my work tools and gear in there without having to carry and drag my rigid boxes from the front of the bed is priceless

-3.92 gears yeah you use a bit more gas but it’s worth the trade off

-27 gallon or 30 gallon tank

-12” screen (game changer worth the extra money)

-led package (for once not having to retrofit or upgrade my headlights are nice )

-Laramie level 1 never knew I needed ac cooled seats until I had them lol so nice on these hot days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lize

Reaction score
Haven't found my Ram boxes as useful as I thought, as expected they are a jumbled mess but are handy to stop this from happening in the bed. On saying this would probably order again. I have a Bak Revolver tonneau cover and don't have any water problems.

Love the air suspension, rides great but exceptionally useful to set on entry/exit mode when loading heavy stuff into the bed. Would love the TRX but it would be hard for me to give up the practicality of the air, like it so much that I would contemplate adding forced induction and keeping the Rebel before going TRX.

Really love the truck, would definitely order the same again.

neddles

Reaction score
Poll needs a check box for 6'4" bed.

These are my highest priority options.
• crew cab
• 4x4
• 6'4" bed
• 33 gal tank

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of suggestions for this list. You list ED as an option but no mention of the other engine choices. You might want to include all four engine options. And since it's now available for 2021, you might want to add HUD to your list. I'd really like to have that option.

And because I had four sisters who were school teachers, it should read "Trailer Brake Control" (not Break).

Sorry, but I felt the need to comment on these two points. The MFT may look strange, I'm not disputing that, but it's actually very useful. There's nothing lame about it, and I think you'd agree with that if you ever had the use of one. For me, one of the most annoying things about loading or unloading items from the back of a truck is having to reach over the tailgate. The MFT completely eliminates that need to reach, which not only makes it easier, but also saves my back. Although your statement about rarely ever using the bed makes sense as to why you think it's lame. If you never have the need for it I agree it's not for you.
Which brings me to my second point...the ramboxes. Seems to me that they would be ideal for someone who rarely or never puts anything in the bed. Lots of additional lockable storage space. How can that not be appealing to someone who bought a truck for the space?

Last edited:

Grouper

Reaction score
...you might want to add HUD to your list. I'd really like to have that option.
I agree! I dragged my feet on getting a 2020 and now I'm so glad I did!

I'll be ordering a 2021 with the HUD, despite the fact that the Technology Group forces the Advanced Safety Group (for the Laramie). I can't remember the last vehicle I drove where the steering wheel didn't block my view of the instrument cluster.

HUD for sure!

Last edited:

Rau

Reaction score
I updated the poll for 7 more options. The reason I didn't add gas engines initially was because diesel was in my opinion a big change where I didn't see much difference between eTorque and regular Hemi. Not sure if there is anyone who were in love with 3.6 L engine :)

Wsmith

Reaction score
360 cam is excellent.

23 is standard.
23 is standard on the e-torque only, at least it was that way on the 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread