5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must have options on your RAM

What is your list of options?

• Total voters

ClancyO

Reaction score
Stock sizes on the new Ram 1500 are 23, 26, and 33. No 27 gallon size. Honestly I thought my truck was coming with a 26 gallon tank. That was the standard size for 4th gens. And I would probably be fine with that. But for some strange reason (perhaps to slightly raise payload?) many come with the 23 gallon tank. It's not something that will make me trade this truck in, but my next one will have the biggest tank I can get.
Etourque. Et trucks get 23, non-et have 26. In 2019 I think you could get a bigger tank w/etourque but it was only 30, not 33

ClancyO

Reaction score
The proxy key is another feature the big horn should of came with. The rain sensing wipers can be added by replacing the temperature sensor on the windshield and turning on the feature via alphaobd
There’s a thread here on someone who retro-fitted the proxy key too. That was on my list had I kept it.

DSPS

Reaction score
360 camera. I use this every day, especially when parking. My truck essentially came with everything I wanted except for the sports appearance package with is not available on the Longhorn, nor the 33 gall tank ( came with 26gal). So I recently added the 33 gallon tank, and currently transforming truck to the 'Longhorn w/ sports appearance package'. Sports hood with sports bezels & black window surrounds to replace chrome ones delivered yesterday. Now waiting to get sports hood and longhorn chrome grille painted delmonico red to color match rest of truck. Emblem de-chroming well underway.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correction 26 gallon tank lol.

Yeah sports or night edition package I forgot about that one.. also a must for those like me that don’t like chrome lol and avoiding the hassle of having everything vinyl wrapped or swapped.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Etourque. Et trucks get 23, non-et have 26. In 2019 I think you could get a bigger tank w/etourque but it was only 30, not 33
Yeah, etorque. Wish I would have stuck to my guns and kept looking for a truck without that, but sadly I didn't LOL.

For 2019 models, the biggest tank was 33 gallons, not 30. Feel free to look for yourself if you don't believe me. I wasn't shopping for a 2019 model but you can still build a 2019 Ram 1500 on ramtrucks.com. I haven't seen any references to a 30 gallon tank for any year Ram 1500.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Stock sizes on the new Ram 1500 are 23, 26, and 33. No 27 gallon size. Honestly I thought my truck was coming with a 26 gallon tank. That was the standard size for 4th gens. And I would probably be fine with that. But for some strange reason (perhaps to slightly raise payload?) many come with the 23 gallon tank. It's not something that will make me trade this truck in, but my next one will have the biggest tank I can get.
I actually think that the 23 gallon tank is a sales ploy by FCA to convince people that the e-torque system saves enough gas to reduce the size of fuel tank, even though the e-torque system was not designed as a fuel saver.

Drewster

Reaction score
I actually think that the 23 gallon tank is a sales ploy by FCA to convince people that the e-torque system saves enough gas to reduce the size of fuel tank, even though the e-torque system was not designed as a fuel saver.

A sales ploy that was never marketed or advertised in any way :sneaky:

I'd imagine it's like anything else that drives this stuff -weight and cost. You can swap the big tank, but people have already figured out it needs bigger emissions components. My guess is that eTorque adds 90 pounds to the V8, so they tried to offset that by removing 10 gallons (83.29lb) and reducing the weight of the tank, charcoal cannister, etc. (likely ~6lb).

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If that's true they did a horrible job of advertising the 23 gallon tank. I didn't see any reference to a 23 gallon tank anywhere. Which is why I was assuming it was the same 26 gallon size as in the previous gen. I knew about the 33 gallon tank, but I figured I could live with a smaller 26 gallon tank when I couldn't find the right truck with the bigger tank. It wasn't until a couple weeks after buying this truck that I found out what size I really had. I never would have bought it if I had known. 3 gallons doesn't seem like much, but it's the difference between filling up every 5 days, and having to fill every 4 days. It was so much easier when I made a routine of filling up every Monday after work. Now it's just random. Meh...first world problems I guess LOL.

Calsun

Reaction score
Surprised that with more than 80% view 4WD as a must have but not the Off Road Group package. To me this is the best value provided by Ram for their trucks. The larger gas tank adds more than $2,000 to the MSRP but the Off-Road Group adds shielding, better tires, better shocks, and other items for only $795 MSRP. Changing out the factory "all-season" tires for all terrain ones will cost more than that.

I wanted the V-6 but view eTorque as something that will make the truck less reliable and more likely to strand me beside the road so the V-8 without eTorque will be in my next truck. So far Ford seems closest to producing a true hybrid truck but it will probably not be until 2022. Toyota with its Tundra may also be available with a hybrid power system but that looks like a 2022 or 2023 option.

puba08

Reaction score
Must haves....Hemi, 4WD, at least a BigHorn, 8.4 w/Alpine, and ORP. Wanted 3.92’s but I don’t tow more than an 8x10 trailer w/ 2 snow blowers and two generators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, V8 etorque, ramboxes, BUG, ORG, 6 person seating, level 1, 33 gallon tank, and 3.92. Everything else was a nice to have.

Rau

Reaction score
Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, V8 etorque, ramboxes, BUG, ORG, 6 person seating, level 1, 33 gallon tank, and 3.92. Everything else was a nice to have.

Do you actually have 6 seater or want to buy one? I wanted it too, but when I went to dealership and checked it out I found that the extra seat had very little space for legs. You can have 6 years old kid, but I am sure my 10 years old daughter wouldn’t fit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Do you actually have 6 seater or want to buy one? I wanted it too, but when I went to dealership and checked it out I found that the extra seat had very little space for legs. You can have 6 years old kid, but I am sure my 10 years old daughter wouldn’t fit there.

It's on order. I have 4 kids: 13, 11, 4, and 2. The 11 year old is tiny so that'll be her spot as the younger kids are still in car seats. We don't have a large requirement to fit everybody in the truck just a nice to have option. Also by the time my 4 year old is able to sit up front my 13 will be driving...ha. I can update with a better answer once I have the truck. I imagine it'll be fine for short drives or going to my parents house about 40 minutes away. I don't imagine we'll be wanting to drive across country with someone in the middle.

Reactions: Rau

neddles

Reaction score
Surprised that with more than 80% view 4WD as a must have but not the Off Road Group package. To me this is the best value provided by Ram for their trucks. The larger gas tank adds more than $2,000 to the MSRP but the Off-Road Group adds shielding, better tires, better shocks, and other items for only $795 MSRP. Changing out the factory "all-season" tires for all terrain ones will cost more than that.

Snow. Not much about the ORG helps in snow.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

How did you find the leg room for the driver in the 6 seater? It has been 2 years since I looked and I prefer the bench seat lateral knee room for the driver. Many cars now come with a full console taking up knee room.

Rau

Reaction score
How did you find the leg room for the driver in the 6 seater? It has been 2 years since I looked and I prefer the bench seat lateral knee room for the driver. Many cars now come with a full console taking up knee room.
I didn't find any big difference for the driver. If you don't have anyone next to you I guess you could use that space for your right leg too.
I found that the seat next to the driver has very small legroom. As Wch_chip said it is ok to have someone in that seat for a small distance, but not for long rides.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the (6) seater in my Laramie and I’ve only used it once with my 17 year old daughter sitting there. She’s 5’2” and let’s say we won’t be going on any long trips like that.

Must haves...
33gal tank
4x4
Crewcab
Electronic locking rear
Led lights
5.7 NO etorque

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The larger gas tank adds more than $2,000 to the MSRP but the Off-Road Group adds shielding, better tires, better shocks, and other items for only $795 MSRP.
I have ‘em both. The 33-gal tank costs $445 option on upper models.

Rau

Reaction score
I have ‘em both. The 33-gal tank costs $445 option on upper models.
That's correct, but if you choose anything lower than Longhorn you have to add one of the equipment groups with 33 G. However, I don't think I would buy Laramie without Equipment Group 1 or 2.

jastevenson

Reaction score
ORG does seem like a good value, but for those who want the smoothest possible ride around town or on the freeway, the ORG isn’t the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread