5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple dead batteries on 2021 eTorque

Mikgyver

Reaction score
I am having problems with my 2021 eTorque. The truck seems to kill batteries within 6 months. The truck just had its 4th battery installed by my local Ram dealer. My first one died at 19,000 miles (1-1/2 years), second at 24,000 (4 months later), and now at 34,000(8 months after the second replacement). The dealer tells me its a bad battery and there is nothing wrong with the charging system, no draw on the system, or problems with the 48v battery. Batteries don't just die every this quickly. I'm wondering if I have a lemon. Anyone else have issues like this?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All the batteries you've had are OEM. Judging by the number of people who have posted about their OEM battery failing over the past few years, you're possibly just replacing crap with new crap. You might have better luck with a quality aftermarket battery (out of pocket) instead of having another OEM battery installed under warranty. We've had one of the OEM batteries fail on us after less than three years and 15k miles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not normal.
A new battery should not die in 4 months even if it's a crappy OEM.

I wonder if the battery is getting overcharged, maybe it never was calibrated with the sensor thingy attached to one of the terminals.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No one said it was normal. OP already stated that the dealer says everything else checks out okay. I'm not totally convinced it's the battery, but it's a (relatively) inexpensive way to proceed to eliminate that as the problem.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am having problems with my 2021 eTorque. The truck seems to kill batteries within 6 months. The truck just had its 4th battery installed by my local Ram dealer. My first one died at 19,000 miles (1-1/2 years), second at 24,000 (4 months later), and now at 34,000(8 months after the second replacement). The dealer tells me its a bad battery and there is nothing wrong with the charging system, no draw on the system, or problems with the 48v battery. Batteries don't just die every this quickly. I'm wondering if I have a lemon. Anyone else have issues like this?
Hey there,

We'd love to hear more about this. Would you mind sending us a direct message with some more information? We'd be happy to help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Runagun

Reaction score
Are you leaving stuff plugged in your cigarette outlet?

thekeithlane

Reaction score
I’m starting to have a similar issue.

Last year everything went dead and the dealer said it was just a bad battery, nothing else.

As of today I get home from a 4 day weekend and my truck is dead dead. Brought the battery to O’reilly’s and they said 5.6v, so I’m trickle charging it overnight to get a charge to test if it’s bad or not.

I have a hard time believing that it’s only bad batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m starting to have a similar issue.

Last year everything went dead and the dealer said it was just a bad battery, nothing else.

As of today I get home from a 4 day weekend and my truck is dead dead. Brought the battery to O’reilly’s and they said 5.6v, so I’m trickle charging it overnight to get a charge to test if it’s bad or not.

I have a hard time believing that it’s only bad batteries.

I don't think you are trickle charging a battery that was at 5.6v....

thekeithlane

Reaction score
I don't think you are trickle charging a battery that was at 5.6v....

I left my battery at O’Reilly’s to charge overnight and the guy said something around the fact that he was going to trick it into trickle charging. He said normally it wouldn’t pick up, though it would be better for the battery.

Last time this happened the dealership said that my etorque 48v battery was not charged and that would need a lot to charge.

It’s frustrating not being able to monitor the 48v myself.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I left my battery at O’Reilly’s to charge overnight and the guy said something around the fact that he was going to trick it into trickle charging. He said normally it wouldn’t pick up, though it would be better for the battery.

Last time this happened the dealership said that my etorque 48v battery was not charged and that would need a lot to charge.

It’s frustrating not being able to monitor the 48v myself.

Trickle charging is good for the battery yes, but if it was showing 5.6v on a 12v battery the battery is just going to die again. They are not Lithium batteries like the 48v in back.
Even if you can charge the 12v, expect to need a new one in the next 6 months imo.

As far as I know the 48v should never be dead due to the way it works unless your mgu is bad (which charges the 48v)

thekeithlane

Reaction score
Trickle charging is good for the battery yes, but if it was showing 5.6v on a 12v battery the battery is just going to die again. They are not Lithium batteries like the 48v in back.
Even if you can charge the 12v, expect to need a new one in the next 6 months imo.

As far as I know the 48v should never be dead due to the way it works unless your mgu is bad (which charges the 48v)
I picked it up and it was listed as good. So it drained from working fine (I'll think there was a slight delay on the start for the previous week~ish) on last Thursday to being completely dead come Monday.
So today the battery is charged - are you saying this is only another 12v battery from the OEM being bad?
If that's the case then I'll just forego my free replacement battery and pick up something more reliable.
@ZombieSlayer - you mentioned to check grounds on the drivers side. Any suggestions on what I'm looking for?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I picked it up and it was listed as good. So it drained from working fine (I'll think there was a slight delay on the start for the previous week~ish) on last Thursday to being completely dead come Monday.
So today the battery is charged - are you saying this is only another 12v battery from the OEM being bad?
If that's the case then I'll just forego my free replacement battery and pick up something more reliable.
It's really hard to say, but the bad oem batteries are so damn common it hard to ignore.
There is a track record for "bad" batteries to test as "good" for what it's worth. Not sure if it's with poor testers, or the way the eTorque charges the 12v battery.
My battery was on it's way out on my 2022 and I could of went to the dealership for another, but I want to go 5+ years without replacing it so I just got an aftermarket for $180.

thekeithlane

Reaction score
It's really hard to say, but the bad oem batteries are so damn common it hard to ignore.
There is a track record for "bad" batteries to test as "good" for what it's worth. Not sure if it's with poor testers, or the way the eTorque charges the 12v battery.
My battery was on it's way out on my 2022 and I could of went to the dealership for another, but I want to go 5+ years without replacing it so I just got an aftermarket for $180.
I moved to Phoenix, AZ almost 5 years ago - when I arrived I learned that heat causing batteries to only last a couple years is a thing. But yes, I'd rather deal with quality and take the variability out of that.
Good to know that the e-torque really shouldn't be an issue. It just sounds expensive and a hassle to deal with.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I moved to Phoenix, AZ almost 5 years ago - when I arrived I learned that heat causing batteries to only last a couple years is a thing. But yes, I'd rather deal with quality and take the variability out of that.
Good to know that the e-torque really shouldn't be an issue. It just sounds expensive and a hassle to deal with.
8 year 80k mile federal warranty on eTorque including the 48V battery at least.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@ZombieSlayer - you mentioned to check grounds on the drivers side. "Any suggestions on what I'm looking for?"
Fender ground..jpg
"Any suggestions on what I'm looking for?"
Make sure everything is shiny and tight.

thekeithlane

Reaction score
Thanks - I saw that connection and it was painted up.

I’ll get after that.

57a8b6d1c6b6ba83545da9da32f559ac.jpg

66fe8f1bc306a5d78957ed44eb9bc938.jpg

I hit that with some steel wool. Seemed clean enough.
I’m going to put in an AGM battery.

thekeithlane

Reaction score
I take it that is before cleaning.
Looks like mine with the gray oxide film when I was going thru the battery drain episode.
Yes, those were the before cleaning pics.
Thanks for sharing - good to hear this is not uncommon and solveable.
I did install an AGM battery yesterday as well, rather than use the warranty on the OEM one.

Very much appreciate the support.

Users who are viewing this thread