5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate Retrofit

MLB12

Reaction score
Great write up. So basically it’s almost doable at this point, but a lot less hassle to order a new truck.
Post pics once you get it. What trim and color did you order?

Good morning, and thanks for the compliment, it is appreciated.

Yup, it is very doable, it was just the delays with the tailgate body panels that influenced the course of what to do. And certainly it was somewhat easier to sign on the dotted line, especially with the way that the dealer came to the party for me. Of course, dealing with my bride of almost 50 years towards getting a fourth truck('15, '16', 19, and now '21) new truck in just over five(5) years , well that was a different challenge all in its own right! Maybe I should have waited for the tailgate body panels??

As far as the new truck is concerned, it is the 10th Anniversary Longhorn in Delmonico Red Pearl, with colour-matched bumpers. My '19 is also Delmonico but with Mountain Brown bumpers, flares, and lower body trim. A very nice combination, but I prefer monotone. When I ordered my '19 in March 2018(took delivery on August 8th) going the 2-tone colour combination was the only avenue to get away from chrome bumpers, which I didn't want. I'm not a fan of chrome on the new trucks. In fact, as the parts and practicality have allowed, I've gotten rid of most of the exterior chrome on the current truck, and I'll do the same on the new one.

MLB12

Reaction score
Survey says:

By the time you get there - you're better off ORDERING A NEW TRUCK THAT ALREADY HAS ONE (if you want it THAT BAD). Decent trade-in on your current ride - probably only be slightly more of a hit - than trying to retrofit this on your current one...

And the WINNER OF THIS THREAD IS?

LOL

So you ACTUALLY DROPPED AN MFT ONTO A REGULAR TAILGATE?

I like "out of the box" thinkers - being one myself. Typically - if someone doesn't make something I want for a car/truck/motorcycle/gun/etc. - I DESIGN IT AND MAKE IT MYSELF (or have a machinist friend make it).

OTOH - cowardice being the better part of valor (or LAZINESS as the case may be) - it's apparently still more time/cost effective to just get a NEW TRUCK - with a NEW WARRANTY - and ALL THE NEW GADGETS.

I don't think anyone (or at least I for that matter) said IT COULD NOT BE DONE - just was the hassle worth the result.

I'm still waiting a 3-4 month timeline for the DASH REPLACEMENT for my '19 Limited. WIth C-19 and everything else - production is sketchy on EVERYTHING in the supply chain.

ENJOY YOUR NEW TRUCK. I just put a deposit down on a new GMC Yukon Denali 3.0 Diesel - with a 4-6 month lead time on build. I just have to not wreck my Ram between now and then (JINX!)....

Rick

Survey says?? Great way to put it.....

Yup, it dropped right on, not onto the regular tailgate but in place of.

If you've never had the opportunity to look at an MFT on the truck, ie close up, compared with the regular tailgate open you'll see that the box 'openings' between the regular and the MFT-equipped truck look exactly the same, essentially no difference(but I'll come back to that in a second). On a regular tailgate the box corners carry all the load, but with an MFT there is a secondary framework that carries the barn doors(60/40 roughly). When you open the barn doors they're hinged on the uprights of the framework so really there's no direct load to the box itself, only to the verticals that are secured by the horizontal latching pins.

That framework latches onto those pins. Now, back to the latching pins-on the MFT they're placed higher in the box corner opening than when a regular tailgate is used.

When you go to drop the MFT, like you would normally on the regular tailgate, the whole framework unlatches from the pins and that drops down, one(1) piece. It's really quite a brilliant design, albeit simple, so you can see why it was patented a number of years ago. If not for the corner brackets and the split in the tailgate until you drop the tailgates there's no visible difference.

The swap is really simple once you have the parts in hand.

I agree, out of the box thinking keeps us challenged, you stop, you're getting lazy. But Yes, new gadgets will always get my attention. I guess that's out of the box thinking in its own right?

There were some posts that did say it couldn't be done, but maybe in different words, ie, box has to be changed, etc, etc.

Boy, I can relate to you're waiting on your replacement dash. I have a 2007 Magnum SRT8, 1 of 3 in Canada the way it's equipped(the TorRed colour wasn't available in Canada on the SRT8 Magnums in '07). Long story, but my dealer was able to get one for me. Anyways, the steering wheel had(has) a nick in the leather, so it was identified and noted as a deficiency to be addressed, followed up on, and a new one ordered. Now, with 'specialty' parts like the steering wheel, Mother MOPAR's supplier bundles the orders together and fills them once a reasonable number of orders are in hand. Notice, the key word is "reasonable". I took delivery of the Magnum on August 14, 2007, and today is January 12, 2021. Guess what? I'm still waiting on my replacement leather-wrapped steering wheel. Not to be a naysayer, but I hope that you have better luck getting your dash.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the new truck, but you're going to a GMC? That's going to the dark side, doncha think?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the new truck, but you're going to a GMC? That's going to the dark side, doncha think?

I find a pickup truck doesn't fit my needs. Gave it a shot. If I were to go back to a pickup - it would be a Ram (unless someone else builds something that impresses me even more).

The think I dislike the most (after a dozen years of front-wheel drive imports) - is how jarring a straight axle rear end is on the ride - especially with an empty bed. New Yukon/Tahoe model has an independent rear, which, with the air-ride - is like driving a cloud (almost). I've got a project coming up - and may even end up doing private limo - which you kinda can't do in a pickup. I could wait around for the (rumored) '22 Grand Wagoneer - but it's going to be based on the 1500 platform, and over $100K for a version equipped like the 1500 Limited. Cool as that may sound/look - $67K for a Ram Truck, $80K for a XL Denali - +$100K is a little too much - FOR A JEEP. And I'm sure the down-models are going to SUCK (just like the down-models of the Yukon suck in comparison to the Denali), plus I seen nothing in the writeups to indicate they're going to a wishbone rear - so it will still ride like a TRUCK.

I've owned multiple GM's, NEVER a Ford - and the Ram was my first FCA. Hondas, BMWs.

Sorry for the thread-jack...

Rick

Pacifictime

Reaction score
When I first started reading this thread I was amazed at the negativity. Especially after reading a thread of 42 pages relating to how people are adding Adaptive Cruise Control, those people are tenacious.

kc9umr

Reaction score
Alright boys and girls. My truck got rear ended out on the interstate a month ago. 28,500 worth of damage. Still not totaled. My body shop guy came up with an MFT. We’re working the retrofit.

Does anyone have access to the schematics for the tailgate wiring harnesses for the MFT and non MFT harnesses? We’re unsure what we will get on the salvage MFT, so I want to be able to either source the right harness or retrofit (“the extra wire”?)…. Or even build a new harness if need be.

kc9umr

Reaction score
Alright boys and girls. My truck got rear ended out on the interstate a month ago. 28,500 worth of damage. Still not totaled. My body shop guy came up with an MFT. We’re working the retrofit.

Does anyone have access to the schematics for the tailgate wiring harnesses for the MFT and non MFT harnesses? We’re unsure what we will get on the salvage MFT, so I want to be able to either source the right harness or retrofit (“the extra wire”?)…. Or even build a new harness if need be.
I THINK I need the schematic (and pinout / wire purposes) for MOPAR 68381399AC

kc9umr

Reaction score
I THINK I need the schematic (and pinout / wire purposes) for MOPAR 68381399AC
My body shop guy ran into this…. Anyone got any idea why the harnesses between the original tailgate and the new one look so vastly different? It’s not just a yellow wire…

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 49

Corvette1974

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the form. I have a 2023 ram 1500 with work boxes and a regular tailgate. I bought a used multi function tailgate and retrofit in it. I fab two brackets for the truck bed. The tailgate works great from the outside, the handle on the tailgate. But I can’t get the remote or the tailgate button in the overhead console to work. I think it’s in the body control module. I don’t know how to get them to talk to each other.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 31

kc9umr

Reaction score
alright. the update no-one asked for :D

They got the gate frame mounted in the truck. No problems there. The wiring harness was removed from the tailgate while they painted the tailgates. Easiest to mount the frame first, then put the barn doors on, since the entire assembly is so heavy.

The system didn't seem to be working, so I went up there to help troubleshoot this morning with my meter, oscilloscope, current probes, AlphaOBD and other toys. Basic takeaway is that the tailgate drop function will *NOT* work if the swing latches aren't closed. This makes sense, since the swing gates would be damaged or damage the bumper if you dropped the gate with them open. Once I closed those two latches, the drop gate portion started working flawlessly.

We're still chasing down why the barn door system won't open. I think one of the latches is bad (bad resistor, as shown in the image in Corvette's post above, possibly).

The catch pins on the side of the bed are too short as configured for the traditional tailgate. Take them out, spin the big washer down a bit, and it will thread onto the threaded portion of the bolt. re-torque into the bedside. problem fixed.

At this stage, we (essentially) have a functional tailgate system, at least for the drop-gate.

I have a 2020 Rebel, so ALL of the wires in the tailgate harness off the chassis wiring bundle are populated. Therefore, even with the old tailgate not using it, the LINBUS and extra power wires were present in the harness.

The shop got a partial frame and hitch receiver off a TRX (year unknown)- the body harness on that one did NOT have all the wires populated, which is odd. That's where my concern about wiring harnesses, above, came from. That said - I got the tow hoops on the hitch receiver now. Unexpected upgrade.

Since I was also having a Back Rack put on - we used that in place of the corner supports - since it's mounted in about the same place as the suggested supports - it shores up the bed quite nicely. (I got the one configured for the Ram boxes - so it's slightly shorter, and has a unique set of brackets). I actually got the brackets on Amazon as "open box" - so I think they cost me 30 bucks - a fraction of the "new" price. still had to shell out for the rack itself.

kc9umr

Reaction score
My body shop guy ran into this…. Anyone got any idea why the harnesses between the original tailgate and the new one look so vastly different? It’s not just a yellow wire…
as mentioned in a later post.

One is from a TRX (year unknown, might be 2019?), the other from my truck. Basically, totally different wiring, but my 2020 Rebel has all 8 pins populated on the chassis wiring harness.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
as mentioned in a later post.

One is from a TRX (year unknown, might be 2019?), the other from my truck. Basically, totally different wiring, but my 2020 Rebel has all 8 pins populated on the chassis wiring harness.

I can't quite decipher what you're saying, but the TRX came out in 2021 and it was never equipped with the MFT.

kc9umr

Reaction score
I can't quite decipher what you're saying, but the TRX came out in 2021 and it was never equipped with the MFT.
They had to patch the frame and replace the hitch receiver. They found a trx as a donor frame for the 1 foot piece of frame end.

What you say makes sense, since the harness that was on the donor chassis was drastically different (and explains why we had such different harnesses between my truck and the donor)

kc9umr

Reaction score
ok, found another problem.

For some reason, the MFT trucks have the tailgate catch 1" farther forward on the truck than the standard tailgate catches. There's enough space between the frame and the bedside to fab up a bracket to relocate the stud (some welding...), which would allow adjustment int he future, or we can just move the hole and the retention nut in the bedside.

The benefit to the bracket is that we can adjust it for proper alignment. More to come.

Stillhave one non-functional latch, and can't seem to get the camera working. Anyone have experience with the backup camera system?

IMG_6102.jpeg IMG_6103.jpeg IMG_6104.jpeg IMG_6105.jpeg

kc9umr

Reaction score
That might be more than just a couple simple brackets…

Corvette1974

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem. What I did is made my own brackets. I ordered two strikers From ram and 1/4” flat stock. Welded the striker to the flat stock.

Corvette1974

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anybody had solve the issue of the retrofit tailgate. i’m still having trouble with the overhead counsel tailgate release and the remote release on the remote. Just wondered if anybody found a solution for this.

Users who are viewing this thread