5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate Retrofit

MLB12

Reaction score
So, I've tried every combination of words and expressions in the search engine trying to find out if anyone has already addressed retrofitting the MFT to a 2019 1500 Series, so apologies all the way around if this has been discussed in full detail and/or has actually been done. If it has, please point me towards it.

I've been crawling around a brand new 2020 Sport to see what challenges there may be in adding an MFT to my Longhorn, and from a purely mechanical or fitment standpoint, I'm pretty sure it can be done, all I have to do is fall off my wallet and get my dealer parts department to order all the bits and pieces required.

The only challenge that I can see is determining if the wiring is compatible. I don't think that there is going to be an issue as the only wiring to the tailgate, standard or MFT, is for the tailgate unlock/remote unlatch, and the camera. So maybe it's not going to be an issue?

If anyone has attempted this already, please weigh in with thoughts, input, or feedback.

PostPremium

Reaction score
If the truck did not come from the factory with the MFT, it will not have the proper bed supports to retrofit one.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not saying tat it cannot be done, but truly at what cost ? In this instance if it does not have it, I say leave it.

MLB12

Reaction score
If the truck did not come from the factory with the MFT, it will not have the proper bed supports to retrofit one.

I appreciate your thought on the bed supports, but I've spent many hours crawling around under the back end of a 2020 Longhorn and there's no difference between the 2020 with the MFT and my 2019 with the standard tailgate. The only outward difference are the corner brackets at the front of the box.
The one structural wrinkle I've found is I to find an easy way to relocate the tailgate latch pins that are at the top of each of the rear box uprights. But that being said, I think that I've got that figured out. I'm just heading out to the garage to pull a taillight to see if I've got access at the back side of that box upright.

Outside this, there is the wiring. The 8-pin connector is the same between the 2019 and the 2020, but the 2020 has the #8 position populated with a YELLOW wire, whereas the 2019 doesn't. I think the #8 provides the power to the power latch for the 60% left-hand 'door'. Hopefully that doesn't carry right through to the front of the truck as if is just local I can build a small harness to replicate the one needed.

Does anyone out in 5thGenLand have access to the 2019 & 2020 wiring diagrams? I've gone onto the MOPAR Connector Repair site but I can't find the correct connector, which is bizarre, so I want to see what I can find on the actual wiring itself.

MLB12

Reaction score
I’m not saying tat it cannot be done, but truly at what cost ? In this instance if it does not have it, I say leave it.

Honestly, I'm asking myself that, but now that I've gone this far, I'm too focused to turn back. If Mother MOPAR had followed through on having it as an option on the '19s, I wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's now a challenge that I need to conquer.

PostPremium

Reaction score
If you believe you are able to spot all necessary support/bracing/design structures by simply "crawling around under the backend," then I say give it a go. Personally, I'd rely on more than an "eyeball test" when performing a mod of that nature.

Last edited:

NonToxic628

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm asking myself that, but now that I've gone this far, I'm too focused to turn back. If Mother MOPAR had followed through on having it as an option on the '19s, I wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's now a challenge that I need to conquer.
Did you end up doing the swap?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand the "bracing" requirements everyone is mentioning. The MFT tailgate carries the same requirements as a regular tailgate when dropping down, like a regular tailgate. When the tailgate is opened side to side, the MFT framing across the bottom and up the sides maintain the needed support. What bracing would be needed to support the swing out feature, that isn't already built into the tailgate framing? If I take my tailgate completely off, the rear sides don't collapse inwards due to lack of support bracing. The front of the bed can't collapse because the front of the bed structurally supports the sides. I would think the MFT is an all in one unit that should be able to be directly swapped. Now wiring is obviously different, but mechanically, I question any difference.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't understand the "bracing" requirements everyone is mentioning. The MFT tailgate carries the same requirements as a regular tailgate when dropping down, like a regular tailgate. When the tailgate is opened side to side, the MFT framing across the bottom and up the sides maintain the needed support. What bracing would be needed to support the swing out feature, that isn't already built into the tailgate framing? If I take my tailgate completely off, the rear sides don't collapse inwards due to lack of support bracing. The front of the bed can't collapse because the front of the bed structurally supports the sides. I would think the MFT is an all in one unit that should be able to be directly swapped. Now wiring is obviously different, but mechanically, I question any difference.
If you open the MFT doors and, while open, apply downward pressure like you are supporting yourself using the door as you step up into the truck, it can cause the side of the truck bed to flex more than designed. The brackets keep it from flexing at that upper portion of the bed.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^ Reading that just made me bust out laughing, my wife thought I was nuts....

RSConsulting

Reaction score
These kind of posts are hilarious. I'm guessing this project never got off the ground. Guy is probably busy researching how to swap an Ecodiesel into a Hemi Truck. "I'm sure it can be done".

Right?

I say - find someone with an MFT - that would be willing to pull his off and see if it will drop into a regular tailgate truck. They DO come out (as do regular tailgates - GET A LOCK to keep it from being STOLEN - first mod I bought - not sure what I did with the KEY though).

I seriously doubt it will fit as just a drop in - and that's not even considering the bed-wall support ramifications (RAMifications - see what I did there?).

Then add in the COST of actually acquiring all the parts, paint, etc. (this is assuming it's a drop in).

By the time you get there - you're better off ORDERING A NEW TRUCK THAT ALREADY HAS ONE (if you want it THAT BAD). Decent trade-in on your current ride - probably only be slightly more of a hit - than trying to retrofit this on your current one...

Just sayin...

Rick

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
from everything I have read and heard, you have to switch out the entire bed of the truck to have the multi function doors added to your truck. You cannot add them to a truck not from the factory with them already.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
There are a few other threads on this board on the tailgate, with very few responders pondering the possibility of a retrofit:

A lot of negativity there and a lot of repeating the what FCA has said about a retrofit, but very few interested in actually researching just what you're considering.
Don't give in to the nay-sayers and good luck in your efforts to succeed.

Steve

Last edited:

MLB12

Reaction score
Soooo, almost a year along and many are wondering about how the MFT retrofit project has gone, and most have provided encouragement, and that has been greatly appreciated..

On the other side of the coin others have provided no constructive comments, only negative, snide, and dismissive ones. I guess that's the price you pay for being on a forum such as this. Evidently the naysayers don't grasp the intent of 'Forums'. These are the ones for the whom the following is intended;
Better to remain a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Now, all that aside-rant over.

By borrowing a 2020 Rebel from my dealer for a few days, I was able to do a ton of research on how the MFT was engineered, as well as what its impacts would be on the structural integrity of the box. The tailgates are 100% interchangeable, there are just a couple of minor relocations issues for the latch pins that are no big deal, and it only took about an hour to get the wiring figured out, so it is certainly very doable. But, and this is the big one, I wouldn't recommend that anyone try this unless you are quite mechanically inclined, as well as conceptually adept at looking outside the zone!!

Once I had all the mechanicals figured out I had my dealer parts lady do a 'locate' for me, and through both the Canadian and the US parts systems, about 98% of the components required, were readily available, and incredibly almost 3/4 of those were in our regional parts depot in Red Deer, so 90 miles north of Calgary(where I live). Literally overnight service.

Where the difficulty arose was on the remaining 2% of the parts, the exterior panels. They were(are?) colour-matched to the trim code, but there was at least a six(6) month wait on them. Unfortunately at that time, so last spring, Mother MOPAR wasn't offering unpainted panels so that wasn't even an option. In fact, I'm not even sure they are now.

With this in mind I had to put the whole project on hold as I didn't want to have a huge number of bits and pieces sitting in my garage gathering dust waiting on two(2) pieces of tin, very crucial pieces of tin mind you, but tin nonetheless. With that in mind a decision had to be made-forge ahead on a leap of faith that the panels would eventually show up, or go into hold mode. I chose the latter. It just made sense then, and frankly, still does. If I could have had the panels in an expedient time frame, I wouldn't even be writing this little epistle.

As far as the bracing of the whole box was concerned, a point that was raised by many, that's an easy one to deal with. I had actually designed a pair of corner brackets(very similar to but before they had theirs) the ones that rightonebracket.com is now offering. Rather than bent steel mine were to be milled out of T6-6061 billet stock, with the design adjusted slightly to allow for my tonneau cover corners clamps, as well as countersunk fasteners. All in all, the steel ones are far more cost effective, and good for the guys at Right On Bracket for coming up with their design and product. That's what we need-more people like them satisfying a need for a specific product for our hobby.

In the meantime, the pre-introduction information on the '21s was released, and part of that information included initial details on the new technology offerings; digital rear view mirror, Heads Up Display, trailer camera connection, plus a couple of cosmetic items, and not to forget the 10th Anniversary Package.

Armed with that information, as well as waiting to see what offerings the factory might provide at time of formal introduction, I decided to just order a new truck. My '19 Longhorn has just turned ~44,000 Kms(~27,000 miles), and being in flawless condition, the dealer took very good care of me. I've got my VIN, and a tentative ship date, so allowing for the in transit time to Windsor, then hanging around there until the right combination of trucks-dealers-locations is finalized, I hope to see it in the next 3 or so weeks. Fingers crossed on that one.

So, that's the saga. If anyone would like to reach out to me to get some of the more pertinent details on doing the MFT swap, don't hesitate.

And everyone stay safe from the COVID-19.

Later..............

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Great write up. So basically it’s almost doable at this point, but a lot less hassle to order a new truck.
Post pics once you get it. What trim and color did you order?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Survey says:

By the time you get there - you're better off ORDERING A NEW TRUCK THAT ALREADY HAS ONE (if you want it THAT BAD). Decent trade-in on your current ride - probably only be slightly more of a hit - than trying to retrofit this on your current one...

And the WINNER OF THIS THREAD IS?

LOL

So you ACTUALLY DROPPED AN MFT ONTO A REGULAR TAILGATE?

I like "out of the box" thinkers - being one myself. Typically - if someone doesn't make something I want for a car/truck/motorcycle/gun/etc. - I DESIGN IT AND MAKE IT MYSELF (or have a machinist friend make it).

OTOH - cowardice being the better part of valor (or LAZINESS as the case may be) - it's apparently still more time/cost effective to just get a NEW TRUCK - with a NEW WARRANTY - and ALL THE NEW GADGETS.

I don't think anyone (or at least I for that matter) said IT COULD NOT BE DONE - just was the hassle worth the result.

I'm still waiting a 3-4 month timeline for the DASH REPLACEMENT for my '19 Limited. WIth C-19 and everything else - production is sketchy on EVERYTHING in the supply chain.

ENJOY YOUR NEW TRUCK. I just put a deposit down on a new GMC Yukon Denali 3.0 Diesel - with a 4-6 month lead time on build. I just have to not wreck my Ram between now and then (JINX!)....

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online