5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate not opening

stevensmaint

Reaction score
Hi all

My multifunction tailgate has stopped working on my 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie. When I press the tailgate handle, I can tell it is not initiating the electronic tailgate latches/actuators for the multifunction tailgate. There are 2 latches for the multifunction tailgate. When I press up, I can hear the actuators/latches engage and the tailgate will open normally (the old way up and down), but the multifunction tailgate will not open when I press down on the tailgate handle, you hear a slight click, but nothing else and the latches will not release. I have verified that neither the center or bottom latches of the multifunction tailgate move when the handle is pressed. I purchased the center tailgate latch and tried, but this did not fix the problem. Since both multifunction latches are not working and the other two that raise and lower the normal opening of the tailgate, could it be the tailgate control module and how do I verify? Seems odd that both multifunction tailgate latches quit working at the same time and after trying one new one with no change, I think this is not the issue? Is there a way to test the voltage to the control module??

FOLLOWUP:
We couldn’t find a good wiring diagram but decided to try to follow the wires and check voltages. We discovered the center tailgate and lower tailgate latch (for the multifunction tailgate) might be wired in series. Couldn’t get good voltages but decided to try our new part that we tried on the center actuator latch on the lower latch and lo and behold, now both latches are working properly. We also discovered that there is a different part number for the center latch and the lower center latch, but they are identical. So long story short is that replacing the lower tailgate latch for the multifunction tailgate fixed the problem and the multifunction tailgate is now working properly.

Last edited:
Following. I have similar issue. Mine has stopped all together now. But has opened a couple of times intermittently. Plus remote doesnt open the drop tailgate.

Following. I have similar issue. Mine has stopped all together now. But has opened a couple of times intermittently. Plus remote doesnt open the drop tailgate.
A few people have said theirs have gotten jammed or stuck and pressing in hard or going down a rough road jarred them loose? Ours is definitely not releasing the latches but this could be your issue? A lot of folks have complained the tailgate is misaligned…. Just a thought….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back