5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MULTIFUNCTION TAILGATE - do you use yours

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
GMC one is overcomplicated, imagine how much it costs if the tailgate is hit on something. Ram MFT solves the main issue with conventional tailgates, the length you have to reach over the tailgate. Me truck would be perfect if I had the MFT available at the time. Dont think you can just swap one in either off a wrecked one
^^^^nope^^^
I used to think this too, but I wonder if that's really the case. Has anyone tried it? Having looked over a MFT closely, I suspect that you might be able to swap one over if you have the Rambox. Everything is contained within the normal tailgate parameters. Her tailgate opening looks just like mine if you disregard the tailgates. I park my Laramie next to my girlfriend's Limited in the garage. We both have the Rambox option. So it's easy to do a side-by-side comparison of hers with the MFT and mine with the normal tailgate. It looks to me like I can just swap tailgates. Since it's a Rambox there's no need for the extra bracing. I've been trying to talk her into letting me try it, but it's still too new for her to risk any damage happening. The only possible difference I can think of at this point is whether the actual openings are the same dimensions. I'll try to remember to measure that when I get home from work today.

jdl440

Reaction score
I used to think this too, but I wonder if that's really the case. Has anyone tried it? Having looked over a MFT closely, I suspect that you might be able to swap one over if you have the Rambox. Everything is contained within the normal tailgate parameters. Her tailgate opening looks just like mine if you disregard the tailgates. I park my Laramie next to my girlfriend's Limited in the garage. We both have the Rambox option. So it's easy to do a side-by-side comparison of hers with the MFT and mine with the normal tailgate. It looks to me like I can just swap tailgates. Since it's a Rambox there's no need for the extra bracing. I've been trying to talk her into letting me try it, but it's still too new for her to risk any damage happening. The only possible difference I can think of at this point is whether the actual openings are the same dimensions. I'll try to remember to measure that when I get home from work today.

I’m really curious if you try this and it works. I really wanted MFT when I bought my truck but there were still really rare and it was hard to find one with all the options I wanted.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m really curious if you try this and it works. I really wanted MFT when I bought my truck but there were still really rare and it was hard to find one with all the options I wanted.
The overall dimensions of both tailgates are the same. So at this point I see no reason it won’t fit. Now I just need her to agree to let me try it. I can understand her reluctance though. Her $70k truck is not even a month old lol.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the payload hit with the MFT? I'm guessing it's pretty heavy

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@mikeru82

Since you have the 2 side by side, here are my questions.

They said the bed and the electrical are completely different. You seem to believe they are wrong.

I believe the ends of the bed are reinforced internally as they have to have the tailgate hang of off them when opened barnstyle. They also said the hinge mechanism is different for the turn out...but it seems you are saying that is oart of the tailgate.

Very interested, as I think the MFT is the greatest advance in tailgates since the first tailgate.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
love mine. I don't even use it in standard mode swing only. only issue is how hard i have to close it to not get rear gate open warning, going to have dealer look at it during first oil change.

Reactions: J48

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
@mikeru82

They said the bed and the electrical are completely different. You seem to believe they are wrong.

I believe the ends of the bed are reinforced internally as they have to have the tailgate hang of off them when opened barnstyle. They also said the hinge mechanism is different for the turn out...but it seems you are saying that is oart of the tailgate.

Very interested, as I think the MFT is the greatest advance in tailgates since the first tailgate.
The reinforcing in the box end is different, my wife has a 19 with standard tailgate and i compared it to my 20

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
@mikeru82

I haven’t compared the electrical connections yet. That may be different as there are two separate release buttons on the MFT. Could be a deal breaker if so. And something I hadn’t really thought about until now. I can verify this today when I get home from work.

Remember that I’m just talking about the Rambox beds. There doesn’t seem to be any extra reinforcement on hers.

I may very well be wrong, and there may be no way of doing this. But I’m sure going to try it.

Pepper

Reaction score
Use mine all the time. I have the multi-function barn doors. My wife and I love them.

Extole

Reaction score
i would say i use the MFT almost nearly 99% of the time because it is so much more convenient in nearly all situations.. Only time I used the traditional drop down tail gate is to sit on it haha.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Don't have an MFT, but the vehicle that I traded for the Ram was a Honda Ridgeline. It had a gate that opened traditionally and would swing open. I never thought I would miss it, but the truth is it was nice to be able to get right next to the bed. Not sure if it worth a grand, but the functionality makes sense.

Cal3600

Reaction score
I pretty much use it exclusively, it's a little easier on the back. The Diamondback tonneau wasn't affected by it other than a bit of adjustment on installation.

Last edited:

hsandhu85

Reaction score
I love the multi tailgate comes in handy when your loading and unloading and getting bed access. One thing that I'm getting annoyed at is I have to slam the doors to make sure they actually close and not get a error pop up when I'm trying to back out. I should not have to use that much force.

Extole

Reaction score
I love the multi tailgate comes in handy when your loading and unloading and getting bed access. One thing that I'm getting annoyed at is I have to slam the doors to make sure they actually close and not get a error pop up when I'm trying to back out. I should not have to use that much force.
yeah. same. I asked the dealer about this and they just told me it's normal.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
yeah. same. I asked the dealer about this and they just told me it's normal.

I was told the same by the dealer - but I put lithium grease in the door hinges/locking mechanisms. It actually helped a little - that was 3-4 months ago. I just cleaned and sprayed a second coat of white lithium grease. Overall, after being used/break-in, and lubrication, I think the rear MFT has behaved slightly better than when it was new.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
MFT is the best option on my truck. Very happy I got it.

Extole

Reaction score
I was told the same by the dealer - but I put lithium grease in the door hinges/locking mechanisms. It actually helped a little - that was 3-4 months ago. I just cleaned and sprayed a second coat of white lithium grease. Overall, after being used/break-in, and lubrication, I think the rear MFT has behaved slightly better than when it was new.
Hmm i may have to try the same. It gets kind of annoying having to reclose the tail gate after someone else tries too first. They always give me that look of "you dont think i know how to close a tail gate?"

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I WISH I had the MFT.

The only reason I can see why you would ever open the tailgate down is if you were putting something in the back that is so long you'll have to leave the tailgate down. Otherwise, I would always open it to the sides.

I put scuba tanks in and out of the back of mine all the time and getting them past the tailgate and into the bed would be a lot easier with the MFT. A LOT. Air suspension lowered all the way does help. But, that and the MFT together would be the TICKET!

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
It's nice to have either option.. sometimes you want it traditional and sometimes you want the barn door.. good to have the option based on what type of cargo you are loading/unloading.

Only thing you should think about before purchasing is if you're dead set on a bedcover just know you have to take the brackets off to get 95% of them to fit..

If you want a bed cover and 100% don't want to take brackets off then you should get a standard tailgate.

There's a whole 'nother thread on that this isn't best place to talk about it.

Besides that it's great for me.. i'm short.. I can reach those beer cans that roll to the back of the cab with my reachin' stick easier... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread