5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MULTIFUNCTION TAILGATE - do you use yours

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's nice to have either option.. sometimes you want it traditional and sometimes you want the barn door.. good to have the option based on what type of cargo you are loading/unloading.

Only thing you should think about before purchasing is if you're dead set on a bedcover just know you have to take the brackets off to get 95% of them to fit..

If you want a bed cover and 100% don't want to take brackets off then you should get a standard tailgate.

That is only true for non-RamBox models. If you have RamBoxes, then there are no brackets and you can use all the same bed covers whether you have an MFT or not.

I like my RamBoxes. When I upgrade next, I will have RamBoxes again AND a MFT (and an EcoDiesel - or a much more powerful gas engine - just have to wait and see what they come out with). And probably the same kind of bed cover I have now (Revolver X4).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I WISH I had the MFT.

The only reason I can see why you would ever open the tailgate down is if you were putting something in the back that is so long you'll have to leave the tailgate down. Otherwise, I would always open it to the sides.

I put scuba tanks in and out of the back of mine all the time and getting them past the tailgate and into the bed would be a lot easier with the MFT. A LOT. Air suspension lowered all the way does help. But, that and the MFT together would be the TICKET!
I have a couple more uses for opening it in the traditional way...I often use the tailgate for a work surface if my work bench has too much crap on it (which is most of the time). I also sometimes use the tailgate for a seat when hosting a "garage party" LOL.

Skater

Reaction score
I have a couple more uses for opening it in the traditional way...I often use the tailgate for a work surface if my work bench has too much crap on it (which is most of the time). I also sometimes use the tailgate for a seat when hosting a "garage party" LOL.
It also makes for a great seat to lace up golf shoes, but the drop down step on my former F-150 was better because it was about 18" lower than the tailgate and right at bench height. Nevertheless, my MFT folded out traditionally works great as a bench.

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
That is only true for non-RamBox models. If you have RamBoxes, then there are no brackets and you can use all the same bed covers whether you have an MFT or not.

I like my RamBoxes. When I upgrade next, I will have RamBoxes again AND a MFT (and an EcoDiesel - or a much more powerful gas engine - just have to wait and see what they come out with). And probably the same kind of bed cover I have now (Revolver X4).

Right, forgot to mention RBox.

Users who are viewing this thread