5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MULTIFUNCTION TAILGATE - do you use yours

dfclimber

Reaction score
For those of you with the MFT (Multifunction tailgate) do you use it, like it or was it not worth it for the way you use your truck/bed.

(Note- there are known issues with the corner Brackets limiting use of some tonneau covers - This post is really to discuss functionality and how you use the split tailgate)

JustMe

Reaction score
For those of you with the MFT (Multifunction tailgate) do you use it, like it or was it not worth it for the way you use your truck/bed.

(Note- there are known issues with the corner Brackets limiting use of some tonneau covers - This post is really to discuss functionality and how you use the split tailgate)
Hi, Happy New Year and IF I may "interrupt" the How Do You Use It Thread -- I'd like to inquire about YOURs !?
I don't have IT or a RAM yet - perhaps early this year ? However I am having difficulty (in my thought process) coming to terms with the New FCA b.s. regarding What It Takes in order to get the MFT . . . ? Boy "MFT" could also be a Very Derogatory Tailgate ! ! ! Back to my angst -- What New loops a buyer must leap through just to have the MFT now . . . For Instance -My Scenario; Laramie Quad w/ORP & not much else ! It's the Not Much Else, other than wanting the MFT (no RamBox) WITHOUT ALSO HAVING - NOW in 2020, to also buy into one of the 2 major Packages, #1 or #2 PLUS once you select one . . . you then MUST also get the Spray in Bed liner ! SO your $995 MFT just got VERY Expensive ! ! ! Some of this wasn't the case in 2019 . ALSO I just discovered that in order to now get the C.C. (my Laramie of choice) I ALSO must select one of those packages ? ? ? Wasn't the case in 2019 !
SO tell us about YOUR use of and like/dislike of the MFT . . . What truck model / truck bed do you own ? :) :unsure:

ps / edit - To clarify, I do realize the MFT is not (yet) available on a 6'4" bed - when doing the builds I was doing so on a Crew Cab .

Last edited:

Utahjazzman

Reaction score
I love mine. Use it almost exclusively when using the bed. It’s nice to be closer to bed than having to reach past tailgate.

airgas1998

Reaction score
of course...hell of a way to throw 1k option away if you don't.....btw love it...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have the MFT, but I sure wish I did. Loading batteries in my truck in the rain the other afternoon. It was pouring out. My sweatshirt and pants got soaked while I tried to hook the handles to my bed extender in the bed.

The MFT would have let me open one side, get closer to the bumper and not have to stretch to reach the extender

I will have one if it is available when I finally buy a new HeavyDuty.

LouCap

Reaction score
99% of the time I open my tailgate "barn door" style. I only use it as a traditional tailgate for longer loads. It's awesome and worth the price IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

rorischak

Reaction score
I use my MFT almost every day for one reason or another. I absolutely love it and I think well worth the 995 price tag.

scope1

Reaction score
Can't live without it. Soon, like back up cameras, it will be standard on all trucks.

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as everyone else here, I almost exclusively use my tailgate barn door style. Makes getting to things in the bed so much easier.

Apexcars

Reaction score
Also with the barn door open it is really easy to use the cut out in the rear bumper as a step to get in and out. There really isn't any need for the mythical center mount rear step. I do want the offset one that you can get for the regular tailgate though so I can get in the truck easily with the tailgate down, I just haven't decided if it's worth it since I very seldom need to get in with the tailgate down.

MarkM

Reaction score
Its great. Glad I picked up a truck with the option. Just need to get a bed divider which would make it sweeter.

STR

Reaction score
I was on the fence and originally thought it might be a little gimmicking like the GMC more exotic version, BUT I’m glad that went with it. It’s actually very practical and ergonomic. Once you get over the tailgate stereotyping, you’ll find that it operates like most other swing out doors that are used on a daily bases, which is a lot more convenient and provides better access/egress to the bed. Also, those hitch steps become more useful (y)

Edit: My only issue, which I overlooked, was that it limits your selection of tonneau covers for the MFT without the RamBox, particularly the flush mount, due to the bed reinforcement brackets near the cab. Hopefully the tonneau makers will address this fitment hurdle as its popularly increases, which it will.

Last edited:

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I've only used mine three or four times since I bought the truck in March to haul things, and several times to get in the bed to clean and dry the top and back window. Love it, worth every penny.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Edit: My only issue, which I overlooked, was that it limits your selection of tonneau covers, particularly the flush mount, due to the bed reinforcement brackets near the cab. Hopefully the tonneau makers will address this figment hurdle as its popularly increases, which it will.
This is true for the standard bed, but not for the Rambox bed. The bed reinforcements are not needed, so any cover which fits the non-MFT Rambox bed will work With the MFT equipped Rambox bed. In case anyone considering buying that combo Is concerned about it.

As far as the original question goes, my gf uses her MFT all the time too. And now I’m wishing I would have made it more of a must-have when I bought my truck. It seems like I’d use it a lot too.

STR

Reaction score
^^^ I agree, not an issue w/the RamBox, which I don’t have. I suspect that if the RamBox has additional bracing, then its contained within the fender/bed walls, however, it is an issue with MFT and none-RamBox as the bracing interferes with the tonneau bed rails.

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
I was on the fence and originally thought it might be a little gimmicking like the GMC more exotic version, BUT I’m glad that went with it. It’s actually very practical and ergonomic. Once you get over the tailgate stereotyping, you’ll find that it operates like most other swing out doors that are used on a daily bases, which is a lot more convenient and provides better access/egress to the bed. Also, those hitch steps become more useful (y)

Edit: My only issue, which I overlooked, was that it limits your selection of tonneau covers, particularly the flush mount, due to the bed reinforcement brackets near the cab. Hopefully the tonneau makers will address this figment hurdle as its popularly increases, which it will.

GMC one is overcomplicated, imagine how much it costs if the tailgate is hit on something. Ram MFT solves the main issue with conventional tailgates, the length you have to reach over the tailgate. Me truck would be perfect if I had the MFT available at the time. Dont think you can just swap one in either off a wrecked one

Users who are viewing this thread