5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Function Tailgate: worth it?

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I am also a huge fan of the MFT. Had my 2021 1500 Limited for about 2 weeks. My 2017 did not and this was one reason why I upgraded as there were a few others too. What I can say is the OEM Cover that comes with the Limited is not something I would suggest. I am not a fan at all and wondering when these cover manufacturers will start buying the RightOnbracket to test. I had a BAK x2 revolver and really like that cover. My only reason of why I would not get MFT, is the cover issue. Other than that it is a must and the step out that came with is a great option.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck came with a MFT and was otherwise optioned how I wanted sitting on the lot (so I didn’t look for it or care if I had it).

I would not buy another Ram without it.

It makes getting things out of the bed of the truck so much easier. It makes getting into the bed of the truck so much easier. It makes loading into the bed of the truck so much easier.

I’m amazed other truck manufacturers don’t have it yet. It’s a simple concept yet it is so convenient.

My buddy has a new GMC Denali with their multipro tailgate and I’ve played around with it some and I would take the MFT 100 times outta 100 over the multipro.
Maybe the makers remembered the multi-way tailgates on the Ford station wagons from the 60’s and 70’s... those were quite handy.

$995 is a steep price to pay for some convenience but our trucks now are full of spendy convenience items... Thats why their varying trim level MSRP’s are in the low to mid 60’s and 70’s... 😬🤔🙄

redbranch

Reaction score
I traded my 19 for a 21 just for the MFT and Ramboxes. It's a game changer. The bed is much more functional, and it's nice not to have stuff stuck up in front of the wheel wells like in a plain bed. I can't imagine not have the MFT.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Didn't have it in my 2019 (wasn't available). Wasn't looking for it shopping for my 2021. The only trucks I could find all had the MFT. SO HAPPY I got it. Once you own a truck with a MFT, you will never buy another truck without it. Makes a world of difference for loading and unloading and the wife LOVES it!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Didn't have it in my 2019 (wasn't available). Wasn't looking for it shopping for my 2021. The only trucks I could find all had the MFT. SO HAPPY I got it. Once you own a truck with a MFT, you will never buy another truck without it. Makes a world of difference for loading and unloading and the wife LOVES it!
I think you got it just to make your signature longer...

slatersan

Reaction score
I know you didn't ask about the Ram boxes, but the MFT, Ram boxes, and BUG are an absolute killer combination!

Tough to beat.

Wow. You guys are starting to sell me on it. ;)

(Ram boxes: I had been very interested, but there seems to be two main drawbacks. First, there are so many reports of poor fit that I just don't think they're ready; second, I'm pretty set on getting a RetraxOne bed cover. I don't think they're compatible with Ramboxes. Instead, I'll get one (or two) of those swingout tailgate boxes that fit between the wheelwell and the tailgate.)
Ramboxes change the usefulness of the truck in ways I can't describe well. Keeps the cab clean, bed free , and tools and 'extras' organized and in ther place in the ramboxes. Helps blend a life/work vehicle with little trouble.

Bakflip Revolver X4 is a great hard soft cover that fits very well with Ramboxes and MFT.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in for the MFT.

I'm out for the Rambox. Ordering a 6'4" bed...so that's not an option.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm in for the MFT.

I was interested in RAM boxes, but the warping issue stopped me. I drove next to a RAM today with a RAM box and they were warped horribly...that would drive me nuts! Until they start making them out of aluminum versus plastic...I'm out!

TAK

Reaction score
My old Ridgeline had it ... I think they were the first to make it a standard item. Buying the ram with the MTG was a must. Ditto with what everyone said.

HEMITKN

Reaction score
You're right about the rambox lids having fitment issues. But if you'll read those threads where they are discussed you'll see that nearly everyone who has them would buy them again, even with the lid issues. The usefulness of them outweighs the small cosmetic issue of the lids. Some of the people who complain the loudest don't even have them.
RAM box system 10, 14, and my 17 Rebel, will not be on my BTS in Tank color do to my color choice which sucks IMO. I use mine all the time.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180601_172909.jpg
    thumbnail_20180601_172909.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 39

HEMITKN

Reaction score
I'm in for the MFT.

Had RAM boxed on my 14 with 6'4" bed, guess not enough interest.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20140701_140744.jpg
    thumbnail_20140701_140744.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 24

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
Btw when you get your new truck with a mft, its not broken you just have to FIRMLY slam the main tailgate closed before you try to use the mft for a couple weeks before the rubber stops give enough to allow you to close it normally.

also the MFT is awesome, I rarely use the tailgate normally unless i need the extra length.

I’m so glad you posted this. I got my truck with MFT two weeks and and really have to slam both regular tailgate and MFT to get it to close. Glad that will get better with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
The MFT is awesome. With a bed divider it makes the grocery runs much easier. Sorry if this costs me man cred. but this truck will do mundane domestic stuff much more than than manly truck stuff. Ramboxes also well worth it. RAM is definitely ahead of Ford, GM, and others on truly value added bed features.

They could maybe take some advice from Toyota on build quality though, some of the panel gaps make me worried about what kind of care was taken with tolerances/accuracy in constructing the engine and transmission.

Also I would love to know the address of the account who decided the RAM Box was going to be plastic not metal. You’ve gotta believe the engineer who got that edict was pretty close to hitting send on a resignation email before he remembered he had kids to put through college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They could maybe take some advice from Toyota on build quality though, some of the panel gaps make me worried about what kind of care was taken with tolerances/accuracy in constructing the engine and transmission.
??? Very confused in your last post. What "panel gaps" with the engine and transmission??? I will not buy a RAM BOX truck until they fix the warping issues!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe MFT is one of those things you need to try to know how it is. I used it on a truck at the dealer and passed putting it on my order. I didn't like all the required extra supports. And you need to back up to get around the open gate. I do think the bed step is a must have after trying that, so I ordered the BUG.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe MFT is one of those things you need to try to know how it is. I used it on a truck at the dealer and passed putting it on my order. I didn't like all the required extra supports. And you need to back up to get around the open gate. I do think the bed step is a must have after trying that, so I ordered the BUG.
I thought the same until I bought one. Now I would never buy a RAM without the MFT. You need to live with it and not just "try" it at a dealership to fully see the value. The two supports are no big deal and can be easily replaced by the Right-On Brackets if you want to install certain types of bed covers.

Users who are viewing this thread