5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Function Tailgate: worth it?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to ask for bids on a new build Laramie 4x4. (Thanks to @Silent Bob for your thread. )

I'm new to owning a pickup.

Is the MFT a worthwhile addition, or is it just marketing?

If you have an MFT, do you love it? If you don't have an MFT, do you miss it or wish you had it?

Share your opinions!

Thanks,
Ken

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have it. I will look at getting it with my next truck. It is a $2000 option, though, because you need the bed utility group as well. I don't go into the bed that often so it isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice to have.

Reactions: c3k

davidn0021

Reaction score
It's definitely nice to be able to reach deeper into the bed to pull things out and you get the bed step as well which definitely helps with climbing onto the bed. If you don't plan on hauling or loading your bed often, it may not be worth it but I have all my kids' baseball gear back there and it's much easier for him to pull what he needs without having to pull the entire gate down.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, worth it. We have it on my wife's truck but not on mine. I really wish I had it on my truck too.

b.w.royder

Reaction score
Really like mine. Just wish the bed cover manufacturer’s would get a bed cover that you don’t have to remove the factory brackets. Or put in aftermarket ones.

hydrant328

Reaction score
I really like it. Makes loading bags of mulch, sod, etc a lot easier. And you do not need to remove the factory brackets to install a bed cover. I got the Access soft roll and it comes modified to fit without removing the brackets.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have it (not an option at the time) but my dad does on his '20. He actually waited to get his truck until it was available. He loves it and so do I.

If it was an option in '19 it would have been on my "must have" list.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I wasn’t looking for it but the truck I ended up getting had it and I’m glad it did. I really don’t ever lower the tailgate anymore. Much easier to reach in and get in the cab with the split doors. I have the bed utility group too which makes the step shift to rear. Very easy to get up in the bed.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
It is a very useful feature. Makes more of the truck bed easily accessible.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. You guys are starting to sell me on it. ;)

(Ram boxes: I had been very interested, but there seems to be two main drawbacks. First, there are so many reports of poor fit that I just don't think they're ready; second, I'm pretty set on getting a RetraxOne bed cover. I don't think they're compatible with Ramboxes. Instead, I'll get one (or two) of those swingout tailgate boxes that fit between the wheelwell and the tailgate.)

Rexx

Reaction score
My truck came with a MFT and was otherwise optioned how I wanted sitting on the lot (so I didn’t look for it or care if I had it).

I would not buy another Ram without it.

It makes getting things out of the bed of the truck so much easier. It makes getting into the bed of the truck so much easier. It makes loading into the bed of the truck so much easier.

I’m amazed other truck manufacturers don’t have it yet. It’s a simple concept yet it is so convenient.

My buddy has a new GMC Denali with their multipro tailgate and I’ve played around with it some and I would take the MFT 100 times outta 100 over the multipro.

RickWaz

Reaction score
The Retrax Pro 80244 or Retrax Pro 80644 are also sweet covers that fit trucks w/ the MFT + RamBoxes. And my RamBox is very slightly "warped" (almost unnoticeable) and doesn't bother me. I've read that others w/ serious warping issues have had their covers replaced for free.

• Love

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow. You guys are starting to sell me on it. ;)

(Ram boxes: I had been very interested, but there seems to be two main drawbacks. First, there are so many reports of poor fit that I just don't think they're ready; second, I'm pretty set on getting a RetraxOne bed cover. I don't think they're compatible with Ramboxes. Instead, I'll get one (or two) of those swingout tailgate boxes that fit between the wheelwell and the tailgate.)
You're right about the rambox lids having fitment issues. But if you'll read those threads where they are discussed you'll see that nearly everyone who has them would buy them again, even with the lid issues. The usefulness of them outweighs the small cosmetic issue of the lids. Some of the people who complain the loudest don't even have them.

b.w.royder

Reaction score
Had ramboxs on my 19. Completely regret not getting them on the 21. They are awesome. Don’t want fast food smelling up the cab. Throw it in the ram box. So many great applications for them. I will miss them come camping season.

Will_T

Reaction score
One thing to consider.... When I was researching one of the things that eliminated GMC was that the models I was interested in had the new multi tailgate and you could not order without it. I did not want it because none of the canopy manufacturers had been able to mold a canopy for the new GM trucks because of the new tailgate. So if you want this tailgate, and want to put a topper on the bed, maybe confirm there is one available first.

Users who are viewing this thread