5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler recommendation

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Look at Solo Performance, I picked the QR300, quiet in the cab, rumble at tailpipe and no interior drone

carbonfold

Reaction score
I found the crate mufflers on Borla's website but they state that they are vehicle specific and not universal. I did not see any ram applications but I could of missed it. Ill have to send Borla and email to clarify. Wonder if the XS Pro is comparable in sound to the touring or S-Type

Anyone know what size piping is used in the stock system, and would aftermarket tips be needed since I'm guessing the diameter would probably be different.

This just means that it was optimized for that application and/or possibly thrown on the application and called good. Half truths and half gimmicky but I'm sure Borla R&D those mufflers to certain applications. That said, this doesn't mean it cannot be used for your application. Hence why most aftermarket mufflers are universal as per the dimensions of the muffler (ask any muffler shop). Most muffler swap situations (same piping dia or larger) will not yield performance gains... maybe more ear candy and an increase via perceived butt dyno. So unless the muffler is greatly reducing flow (which most performance aftermarket mufflers do not do), it typically will not matter.

I can't compare the XS Pro to the S-Type but I believe the ATAK would be louder. XS Pro's are pretty tamed and a straight through design (similar to a Magnaflow 14 inch). My guess would be a Magnaflow 14 and Borla XS Pro would sound similar. The XS Pro is relatively low cost and a good starting point. If you get into an XS Pro felt it wasn't loud enough, it is much easier to step up from there.

Last edited:

XmikeX

Reaction score
This just means that it was optimized for that application and/or possibly thrown on the application and called good. Half truths and half gimmicky but I'm sure Borla R&D those mufflers to certain applications. That said, this doesn't mean it cannot be used for your application. Hence why most aftermarket mufflers are universal as per the dimensions of the muffler (ask any muffler shop). Most muffler swap situations (same piping dia or larger) will not yield performance gains... maybe more ear candy and an increase via perceived butt dyno. So unless the muffler is greatly reducing flow (which most performance aftermarket mufflers do not do), it typically will not matter.

I can't compare the XS Pro to the S-Type but I believe the ATAK would be louder. XS Pro's are pretty tamed and a straight through design (similar to a Magnaflow 14 inch). My guess would be a Magnaflow 14 and Borla XS Pro would sound similar. The XS Pro is relatively low cost and a good starting point. If you get into an XS Pro felt it wasn't loud enough, it is much easier to step up from there.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Probably just grab a crate muffler and call it good I was going to go with full catback system but without a tune and getting into that stuff I don't think the performance gains (if any) from a catback will justify the $$

carbonfold

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Probably just grab a crate muffler and call it good I was going to go with full catback system but without a tune and getting into that stuff I don't think the performance gains (if any) from a catback will justify the $$

The only catch with that Crate ATAK muffler is that is is rather expensive for just a muffler (in my opinion). From what it sounds like, it is not exactly the same sound as the ATAK catback but sounds good. Personal tastes... I prefer the rear resonators off but mine also as the mid pipe resonator that many do not have that I left on.

Another affordable option is the Rough County Catback. Not sure who is making it for them or how well it sounds as there isn't many sound clips or reviews on it.

XmikeX

Reaction score
I just came cross B2fab's website too and they have an axleback system that is reasonably priced. might look into them since it only requires one cut and then it bolts on.

Twampnina

Reaction score
I'm looking into the Carven cut & clamp Competitor Series (CR1012) OR the MBRP XP Series High Flow Replacement Muffler (S5143409). Still undecided. this is a cheaper option than a Catback

MBRP link

Carven link

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
just ordered the

Carven Exhaust Competitor Series Direct Replacement Muffler with 5-Inch Ceramic Black Tips!​

Choate

Reaction score
I got an 18” magnaflow with resonator deletes on mine yesterday. Thing sounds great. You can definitely hear it. I haven’t actually had it on the highway yet but I drive 38 miles one way when I go to work. At this point the cylinder shut down mode doesn’t bother me. I can tell when it does it but the exhaust is so mellow when it does it doesnt bother me. No I don’t have any videos lol

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
well just put the tips on, that is the worst design ive ever seen! i hope as tight as i tightend it it will stay on? should have at least made it where it slide inside instead of butting up to it and held on with just a clamp? might get it welded when i put the exhaust on! good job fca!

Klicht87

Reaction score
well just put the tips on, that is the worst design ive ever seen! i hope as tight as i tightend it it will stay on? should have at least made it where it slide inside instead of butting up to it and held on with just a clamp? might get it welded when i put the exhaust on! good job fca!
There's next to no weight on those clamps, they function as designed and haven't had any issues with mine.

XmikeX

Reaction score
How the heck are exhaust tips almost the same price as the exhaust replacement? come on Carven!

for you guys with the Carven system does the muffle replacement directly fit to the OEM Y pipe? not looking to replace the whole system jus the muffler.

t76turbo

Reaction score
I have had a LOT of performance (and some not performance) vehicles with aftermarket exhaust. Everything from cheap replacement weld in mufflers to header back tip to tip multiple thousand dollar systems. I started to go down that route with this truck but decided I wanted simple.

So I went with the Flowmaster Direct Fit bolt in muffler. It is absolutely perfect. Definite difference from stock. Nice low rumble. But not obnoxious. And most importantly no drone which I have had in every magnaflow based system I have had. EVER. The Flowmaster had a slight drone like effect when first installed only when in 8th gear on the highway at a very low rpm. But with a little break in (the inside of the muffler being coated with soot) and it is perfect now.

I would highly recommend the Flowmaster if you want tasteful rumble and not some level of obnoxious.

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
Lol right! Looks like just unbolt and cut the other pipe? They have install vids on American truck website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XmikeX

Reaction score
Lol right! Looks like just unbolt and cut the other pipe? They have install vids on American truck website

Ya I watched some of those but I was getting some contradicting info from some google searches that said you could just pull the whole muffler section out without cutting. Looks like ill have to do some cutting

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Carven! If you keep the resonators it’s so mellow you can hardly hear it in the cab with no drone while cruising. And sounds nasty revved up.

They have a 10% off code floating around.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Carven! If you keep the resonators it’s so mellow you can hardly hear it in the cab with no drone while cruising. And sounds nasty revved up.

They have a 10% off code floating around.

10% you say...hmmm might have to do some hunting

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
back when i had a 15 1500 i used the flowmaster direct replacement and i enjoyed it, figured id try the carven? dont want the neighbors to hate me to much lol!

Choate

Reaction score
Yep. I had a very reputable muffler shop do mine. Didnt hear any rattles and the tips were straight etc. To my surprise later that day I went to wipe the tips off and one of them was so loose it easily pushed right down with little effort. I had to get out my tools for once and do some wrench turning. Seems ok since but good advice is to check them if you didn’t install yourself. I watched the shop take an electric type impact to it too. I guess they were just way too gentle with that one side. Glad it didn’t come off going down the road

Users who are viewing this thread