5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler recommendation

AyoungBighorn

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering what everyone is installing for aftermarket mufflers. Looking for a cheap alternative for a better sound. Not looking for overly loud and annoying. Looking for any input

RebeliousRam

Reaction score
I installed the Borla Atak series muffler. I fabricated my own piping at 2.5“ diameter instead of the usual 3” that they sell as a package on most name brand performance systems. I just wanted sound more than anything and not have to pay $1k for a performance catback setup.

I’m not even sure if it makes much a of a performance difference, what I did alone helped with MPGs. Can’t imagine spending $$$ on a complete catback system will make any difference with or without a tune.

I spent $250 on the Borla Atak Muffler and $40 on black powder coated exhaust tips. Everything else (piping and hangers) I got from my families shop.

I also did a resonaltor delete. This will enhance your muffler sound. Not sure how loud it is with resonators. But overall this setup is loud, not annoying, and does not drone what so ever. However, It will get loud when you step on it.

I’d love to hear other ideas and recommendations if anybody purchased a performance exhaust setup.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering what everyone is installing for aftermarket mufflers. Looking for a cheap alternative for a better sound. Not looking for overly loud and annoying. Looking for any input

Get yourself a Borla. I put one on mine and it sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shark875

Reaction score
Flowmaster FX direct fit

Cert2.0

Reaction score
I have had 3 rams and a ford always went with flow master, now that said I've had two newer rams in the last 4 years and now I'm in the Rebel i did get used to the stock mufflers not being overly loud, long story short: i ended up trying out a Magna Flow at first i wasn't happy with it because it was like a stock muffler but then the more i hear it and listen for it its far from stock and much less aggressive than Flow Master there's little to almost no drone on the highway even around town 25-45 mph its has more growl than stock and when you get on it you can hear it, so its more of a you hear it when you want to hear it deal instead of a constant loud, makes the truck feel like a truck. model : MagnaFlow : 12259 universal muffler
ref # 1919664 hope it helps

AyoungBighorn

Reaction score
Thanks have to look at all these and see what fits best. Had a flow master American thunder on my 16 rebel but was just looking to try something else. Maybe I’ll stick with the flow master. But I’ll check out the borla and magna flow first as well

Choate

Reaction score
Magnaflow 18” or borla xs pro. Atak for more sound. Anything but a dronemaster

riveralg79

Reaction score
I installed the Borla Atak series muffler. I fabricated my own piping at 2.5“ diameter instead of the usual 3” that they sell as a package on most name brand performance systems. I just wanted sound more than anything and not have to pay $1k for a performance catback setup.

I’m not even sure if it makes much a of a performance difference, what I did alone helped with MPGs. Can’t imagine spending $$$ on a complete catback system will make any difference with or without a tune.

I spent $250 on the Borla Atak Muffler and $40 on black powder coated exhaust tips. Everything else (piping and hangers) I got from my families shop.

I also did a resonaltor delete. This will enhance your muffler sound. Not sure how loud it is with resonators. But overall this setup is loud, not annoying, and does not drone what so ever. However, It will get loud when you step on it.

I’d love to hear other ideas and recommendations if anybody purchased a performance exhaust setup.

This is Exactly what I want to do…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbonfold

Reaction score
3 inch Borla XS Pro and delete the rear resonators. Step up from stock but not annoying and zero drone. Pretty quiet at cruising speeds and cold start is not too loud.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you disable MDS every time you get in your truck. Few things in the world sound as crappy as amplified MDS.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Do catback systems have/give any performance boosts without a tune? Coming from tuner cars you would need a tune to see any benefits, I dont want to drop a bunch of money on a system just for sound.

I'm currently looking at Borla S-type system.

carbonfold

Reaction score
Do catback systems have/give any performance boosts without a tune? Coming from tuner cars you would need a tune to see any benefits, I dont want to drop a bunch of money on a system just for sound.

I'm currently looking at Borla S-type system.

Rule of thumb, most catbacks will not improve noticeable HP. If any, nominal differences. Usually performance gains will be turbo or manifold back. Even then, may need reprogramming etc... Going the turbo or manifold back can get you into having to deal with CEL, emission and warranty issues.

Short answer, not really.

Last edited:

JC4041

Reaction score
I ran a Cherry Bomb Extreme exiting in front of the passenger tire for years on my 09. December 2019 I finally replaced everything, especially that smooshed Y pipe. Not sure how the 5th gens look underneath since I don't own a gas 5th gen. The X pipe is probably overkill, but I couldn't find how the Cherry Bomb Vortex looked on the inside. Nothing crazy, just straight out the back like the factory duals are (mine was single exit origianlly)

1632163501923.jpeg
1632163553036.jpeg
1632163572867.jpeg
1632163587385.jpeg

XmikeX

Reaction score
Rule of thumb, most catbacks will not improve noticeable HP. If any, nominal differences. Usually performance gains will be turbo or manifold back. Even then, may need reprogramming etc... Going the turbo or manifold back can get you into having to deal with CEL, emission and warranty issues.
Ya that is what I figured that catback was more for sound/appearance. Might just swap out the muffler and call it a day. I have been searching for a borla muffler but cant seem to find them by themselves.

carbonfold

Reaction score
Ya that is what I figured that catback was more for sound/appearance. Might just swap out the muffler and call it a day. I have been searching for a borla muffler but cant seem to find them by themselves.

Check out the Borla XS Pro 3 inch center/offset. I would say it is a safe route for someone wanting a touch more aggressiveness without being annoying or too loud. If not that, Super 10 is a next step up but definitely much louder in the cab (has more LF).

XmikeX

Reaction score

Where did you pick up the muffler alone? I have been trying to find a Borla muffler alone but I can only find the whole catback system.

carbonfold

Reaction score
Where did you pick up the muffler alone? I have been trying to find a Borla muffler alone but I can only find the whole catback system.

The Borla XS Pro is the standalone muffler. Summit shows to have it but probably can get it all over the place.

carbonfold

Reaction score
Also, here is an standalone ATAK Crate. Pricey but cannot vouch for it (no experience with it). I've read somewhere here where someone used it. I would assume it is more aggressive than the XS Pro.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Also, here is an standalone ATAK Crate. Pricey but cannot vouch for it (no experience with it). I've read somewhere here where someone used it. I would assume it is more aggressive than the XS Pro.

I found the crate mufflers on Borla's website but they state that they are vehicle specific and not universal. I did not see any ram applications but I could of missed it. Ill have to send Borla and email to clarify. Wonder if the XS Pro is comparable in sound to the touring or S-Type

Anyone know what size piping is used in the stock system, and would aftermarket tips be needed since I'm guessing the diameter would probably be different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread