5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler options, delete's, and warranty questions?

Shelby

Reaction score
Been searching videos and I have only seen 1 video of a 19 with a Magnaflow (I think). Im wanting some sound out of my truck and have seen some videos of deleted 4th gens as well. Question is, what's the best muffler for these hemi's and if I choose to do the delete would that jack with the warranty? Thanks for the info guys.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you read around other forums for the 4th gens, you'll find the most popular muffler for the 5.7L is Magnaflow. Going off that feedback, I put a Magnaflow 18" on my 2019.

Thread here: Magnaflow 18" Muffler Install

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it cause any warranty issues?

Don't know how it could. Its downstream of anything emissions related so can't contribute to - or be blamed for - any failures that may occur there. The only thing it changes is the restriction (back pressure) imposed on the engine, but that's for the better.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act gets cited a lot on forums because a dealer is supposed to be able to show how a modification caused, or contributed to, the failure at hand. E.g. a muffler cannot be reasonably assumed to have caused a ball joint failure. I've never actually read of someone who had to reference that law at a dealership, or go to court, but that doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

In short: I cannot say that it will not cause any warranty issues. I'm willing to take my chances that a dealer will not be able to somehow link a gas engine failure to a less restrictive exhaust system. Life's too short. I don't want to wait 3 years to mod a truck the way I want in fear of voiding a warranty.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd second the Magnaflow muffler, one of the best sounding mufflers for the 5.7 Hemi in my opinion.

John813

Reaction score
Don't know how it could. Its downstream of anything emissions related so can't contribute to - or be blamed for - any failures that may occur there. The only thing it changes is the restriction (back pressure) imposed on the engine, but that's for the better.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act gets cited a lot on forums because a dealer is supposed to be able to show how a modification caused, or contributed to, the failure at hand. E.g. a muffler cannot be reasonably assumed to have caused a ball joint failure. I've never actually read of someone who had to reference that law at a dealership, or go to court, but that doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

In short: I cannot say that it will not cause any warranty issues. I'm willing to take my chances that a dealer will not be able to somehow link a gas engine failure to a less restrictive exhaust system. Life's too short. I don't want to wait 3 years to mod a truck the way I want in fear of voiding a warranty.

Yup.
Typically from my own experiences and through others I trust, a catback won't void your warranty unless by some low percentage that the muffler has some(super rare) catastrophic failure and plugs up exhaust. When talking about removing the Cats/manifolds for a full exhaust then you can enter the grey area/roll the dice.
I would say to some who don't want to take any chances but want a louder exhaust is wait for the Mopar one. More than likely it's a rebranded Magnaflow or another bigger company exhaust kit.

Think Ford, for example, had the Ford Racing Exhaust that was made by Borla.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My dealer said anything you touch on the exhaust won't be warrantied, which makes sense of course, they won't warranty something you modified. But it won't effect the rest of the warranty, like say your drivetrain, electronics, etc.

The only thing he told me was don't mess with the catalytic converter, if you weld anything directly to it, the warranty on the converter will be voided since they can't change them out by simply unbolting.

If you change your muffler, make sure to keep the original one in case you want to weld it back in the future for whatever reason.

It's hard to make a recommendation on the best muffler. There are too many out there and everyone has different ideas of what "loud" and "drone" is. I will say personally, I had a Flowmaster Outlaw welded in for $278 by my local muffler shop. It sounds like a 60s muscle car, no drone at constant throttle, love it.

dktek

Reaction score
I used to run Thrush mufflers for the longest time since my first RAM in 2006, on my 2019 I decided I wanted to change it up which was the new 5th Gen. I heard about complete muffler and resonator deletes, I was concerned of course about it being too loud. I like to hear it in the cab though. I listened to sound bites on Youtube but again that is not really the original sound. I decided to try it out, took it to a local Midas that did all of my exhaust work. I think I spent like $200. The shop was even concerned about it being too loud, at the end the shop really liked how it sounded. My new 2022 I did the exact same thing.

If there was any drawback to it, it would be cold mornings and cold startups, it is louder in the winter months, but I'm honestly fine with it, I only ever open it up on highways and freeways and it sounds great. Police have only ever complimented the sound. LoL. Even the dealership has commented on it when its in the shop.

If you did go with a muffler to enhance the sound, I would ditch the resonators if you can. Imo they mess with how aftermarket mufflers truly can sound.

Users who are viewing this thread