5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud Flaps

DennisY

Reaction score
Any ideas for a 12 inch wide wheel setup?
Kickbacks don't work due to the wheel well liners.

Weathertech won't give coverage.

Only options I am having is custom cut long John style mud flap.

Any other recommendations?

Few pics added

No suggestions but wanted to comment that those are good looking wheels!

clotagames

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2020 Limited and had the Ram rubber flaps installed before delivery. I like them much better than the hollow plastic ones I had on my 2019. They would leak water and drip on garage floor after a rain or when ice melted out of them. Not sure who the engineer was there.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I have the factory molded Mopar ones on my 19 Limited, but I feel they don't provide enough protection for the front wheels, and have some chips on my rear molded wheel well trim. Are the WeatherTech or Huksy slightly longer to provide better protection?

Princebawa

Reaction score
And in my case I need to cover 12 wide tire. So those factory ones don't help

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are they bigger than MOPAR factory ones?

The Mopar are the smallest, they also have a design that retains dirt and docks and are much more likely to scratch up the fender flare or any painted part they attached to, even with the protective film.

Either get the WT or Huskys, both are designed better, longer (Husky longest by 1") and barely or don't make contact with painted surfaces. I have the Husky fronts myself and love them. I am giving away a brand new set of WT fronts, however only if you live in the San Diego area. I don't want to ship them.

ktl5005

Reaction score
The Mopar are the smallest, they also have a design that retains dirt and docks and are much more likely to scratch up the fender flare or any painted part they attached to, even with the protective film.

Either get the WT or Huskys, both are designed better, longer (Husky longest by 1") and barely or don't make contact with painted surfaces. I have the Husky fronts myself and love them. I am giving away a brand new set of WT fronts, however only if you live in the San Diego area. I don't want to ship them.
Thanks for the response. I bout my 2019 Limited used as a CPO and is has the factory MOPAR ones, but after reading your response I just ordered the Husky one so I can get a bit better protection from stuff coming off the front wheels. Thank you.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

ktl5005

Reaction score
I think you will be very happy with them. I posted some pics and installation notes on this thread: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/to-mud-flap-or-not.11424/page-3#post-165086

Starting on post 50.
Sweet thanks. Yeah the truck when I bought it had 15k miles. The rear painted trim around the wheel well already had some chips in the paint, so I just touched it up but I think it’s time to get something with more protection from the front slinging tires to prevent more chips or at least cut down on them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sweet thanks. Yeah the truck when I bought it had 15k miles. The rear painted trim around the wheel well already had some chips in the paint, so I just touched it up but I think it’s time to get something with more protection from the front slinging tires to prevent more chips or at least cut down on them.

The front flaps will help, but you will need to get some running boards to prevent it completely. I have the factory ones installed now, or something like the RB10 or RB20 are very popular. You can also get them protective film as well. It's a design issue with them wide hips on these RAMs.

ktl5005

Reaction score
The front flaps will help, but you will need to get some running boards to prevent it completely. I have the factory ones installed now, or something like the RB10 or RB20 are very popular. You can also get them protective film as well. It's a design issue with them wide hips on these RAMs.
Got it. I am sure when I pull off the MOPAR factory ones there will be some buffing needed on the paint underneath too.

ktl5005

Reaction score
AB10C14A-9BB1-4603-9CE0-8708A60E40DD.jpeg They definitely cover more than the factory Mopar ones. I like the way these look

ktl5005

Reaction score
Looks great! What I love about the design is how it doesn't make contact with the painted fender flares on the sides.
Yup! Love that part so much I didn’t apply the clear film. There is just enough gap to not rub the painted trim. Fit is spot on. They are a tad wider and def 1” longer than the MOPAR ones that were in it. Should definitely provide better protection.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yup! Love that part so much I didn’t apply the clear film. There is just enough gap to not rub the painted trim. Fit is spot on. They are a tad wider and def 1” longer than the MOPAR ones that were in it. Should definitely provide better protection.

Good, keep an eye out on your rear fender & flares for new nicks. If you still see new ones, consider getting running boards or PPF.

RamThunder

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2020 Limited and had the Ram rubber flaps installed before delivery. I like them much better than the hollow plastic ones I had on my 2019. They would leak water and drip on garage floor after a rain or when ice melted out of them. Not sure who the engineer was there.
SO, any more info on the RAM 'rubber" ones? I can't find.
I had Mopar Ram rubber ones on my 2016 Laramie but the closest I can find now is the Gatorbacks, and while they are NICE, they are PRICEY.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Bringing an old thread back.

My current tires have minimal poke. I want to avoid throwing rocks up as I live on a tar and chip road. I don't want huge ones hanging down far because it limits backing up (if you ever drove a dump truck, you know what I mean).

I don't care for molded ones and would like, rubber but need them a bit wider to cover the edge if the tire from flinging stones. The rubber ones mentioned above would seem to fit the bill. Any info on these? Do they install to factory points?

20210528_191441.jpg

DennisY

Reaction score
The minimal poke are going to present a bit of a challenge for you. Are those stock tires? That said, my 3rd party flaps that I bought do require one new hole drilled at the bottom buy you cannot see it unless you get on the ground and under the body.

JbVt

Reaction score
Bringing an old thread back.

My current tires have minimal poke. I want to avoid throwing rocks up as I live on a tar and chip road. I don't want huge ones hanging down far because it limits backing up (if you ever drove a dump truck, you know what I mean).

I don't care for molded ones and would like, rubber but need them a bit wider to cover the edge if the tire from flinging stones. The rubber ones mentioned above would seem to fit the bill. Any info on these? Do they install to factory points?

View attachment 94962

Mopar 2019-2020 Ram 1500 DT (New Body) Front & Rear Heavy Splash Guards New OEM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0886K7RM...abc_3TQYTMPCGJR6VXDHWVK3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I put these on last summer. I too wanted to find rubber ones vs all the molded options. They are full width but don’t hang down too far. My truck is lifted a bit in the front and rear. Although my tires do not stick out like yours do.

Users who are viewing this thread