5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG!!

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
Nah. I really do like this truck better overall. But I do definitely miss the 5.0. That’s just a sweet engine that really is better than the Hemi all the way around. I miss the get up and go it had for sure.
The smoother ride and absence of the typical Hemi rumble in the new Ram make it feel slower than it actually is. My 12 Ram feels and sounds faster, but no doubt my 19 is quicker with the 8 speed. I've seen a 5.0 race a 2019 Ram. It was so close I'm not sure who won. Considering the Ram is heavier, I'd say the Hemi might even have a slight advantage out of the hole. Both are great trucks with great engines.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a 730 mile round trip. I averaged 17.6 overall. My return trip was 70-82 mph in interstate traffic using Adative Cruise. I used 89 octane. I believe my motor is improving with break-in. Eco (MDS) mode never comes on above 65 mph except going down hill. Around town, I can hold steady speeds and even slowly accelerate in Eco mode. I got 20.5 mpg in stop and go traffic but I'm pretty sure I agitated those following me.

craigrh13

Reaction score
The smoother ride and absence of the typical Hemi rumble in the new Ram make it feel slower than it actually is. My 12 Ram feels and sounds faster, but no doubt my 19 is quicker with the 8 speed. I've seen a 5.0 race a 2019 Ram. It was so close I'm not sure who won. Considering the Ram is heavier, I'd say the Hemi might even have a slight advantage out of the hole. Both are great trucks with great engines.

There’s no question my 5.0 was quicker. All the way around. Don’t get me wrong, this one has plenty of power I just miss the ol rocket my 5.0 was and the better gas Mileage.

Bboyce536

Reaction score
Im close to 20 mpg in my laramie 4x4 after over 4k miles. Hand calc has never been off by more then .6. Usually a tad lower but a few times a tad higher. Posted this last week...first video ever so bare with me.

Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hand calc has never been off by more then .6. Usually a tad lower but a few times a tad higher. ]
my extremes are 1 mpg optimistic and .2 the other way, with .6 off average. That’s likely due to our ethanol. Overall much better accuracy than my Gen 4 Ram that was always off 10%.

craigrh13

Reaction score
My evac is consistently 1-1.5 mph offb hand calculated is always less than the readout. My ecodiesel was always .5 mpg less than hand calculated.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Just checked my fuel economy at around 500 miles on the vehicle now. Getting right around 21 mpg on the highway (non-etorque). If it weren't for the squeaks and rattles, it would be a perfect vehicle.

20181110_101548.jpg 20181110_101528.jpg

icsammis

Reaction score
I've got the Bighorn with 3.92 gears. I installed 275/65/20 Nitto Terra Grappler's and a 2 inch leveling kit. I'm averaging 9.4 MPG for the first 700 miles in the city. UGHH

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my fuel economy at around 500 miles on the vehicle now. Getting right around 21 mpg on the highway (non-etorque). If it weren't for the squeaks and rattles, it would be a perfect vehicle.

I have a similar set up to yours... what's your average highway speed?

My mixed driving has been about 15 mpg

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have a similar set up to yours... what's your average highway speed?

My mixed driving has been about 15 mpg
I drive I83 between Harrisburg and York daily - all hills. The speed limit is 65. Average traffic speed is 80. I am getting right around 15.0 mpg in mixed driving. Today on the way home it went up to 15.1.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive I83 between Harrisburg and York daily - all hills. The speed limit is 65. Average traffic speed is 80. I am getting right around 15.0 mpg in mixed driving. Today on the way home it went up to 15.1.

Thanks... getting to take a long-ish trip and was wondering what the mpg would look like.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Thanks... getting to take a long-ish trip and was wondering what the mpg would look like.
If I drive 65 to 70 mph, I can get descent mileage. Up towards 80 mph, it starts to drop off a little bit. My truck has just under 700 miles on it now. Many of those miles have been driven to try and fix squeaks and rattles. Noises from the panoramic sunroof headliner are driving me crazy!

I wonder what the weight difference is between our trucks? Yours has the larger bed!

Hammer1

Reaction score
It's actually refreshing to see honest #'s. If you go on other Ram sites they would lead you to believe they are driving hybrids. Many of their numbers exceeded my eco diesels best. My previous Hemi's all got between 12 and 14 and I don't expect much better from this one. 395 hp and a 6000 pound brick in the wind usually don't equate to great milage.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder what the weight difference is between our trucks? Yours has the larger bed!

Isn't the GVWR on the grey sticker? I know payload is on the while one...I'm not a math person, but I think this is correct.

Gross vehicle weight rating - curb weight = payload capacity
so if we move the formula around...
Gross vehicle weight rating - payload capacity = curb weight

So for my truck, 7100(GVWR) - 1310(Payload) = 5790(Curb Weight)

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best fuel mileage so far is 25.20 MPG (708 miles on 28.115 gallons of 87 octane). This was achieved on a tank of fuel where a trip of 359 miles were driven on state roads in somewhat hilly, Central New York state at posted speed limits, 30-55 MPH. That trip was at the end of the tank. Cruise control was not used and the trip was not impacted much by wind since all of that driving was north/south. No loads other than passengers. The rest of the driving on that tank was average driving for me, with little city driving.

Yep. I'm generally light on the throttle and use power only when I need to, but on this last trip I was not trying to squeeze the tank. I suspect that had the whole tank been a trip across flat-as-heck Kansas I could easily exceed 26 MPG.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006340 miles.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best fuel mileage so far is 25.20 MPG (708 miles on 28.115 gallons of 87 octane). This was achieved on a tank of fuel where a trip of 359 miles were driven on state roads in somewhat hilly, Central New York state at posted speed limits, 30-55 MPH. That trip was at the end of the tank. Cruise control was not used and the trip was not impacted much by wind since all of that driving was north/south. No loads other than passengers. The rest of the driving on that tank was average driving for me, with little city driving.

Yep. I'm generally light on the throttle and use power only when I need to, but on this last trip I was not trying to squeeze the tank. I suspect that had the whole tank been a trip across flat-as-heck Kansas I could easily exceed 26 MPG.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006340 miles.
That’s pretty remarkable!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just drove from FL to WI... 75mph with cruise control, ECO only came on during downhill runs.

Best tank was a little over 16... worst was 14, average 15...
Hoping it gets a little better as the engine breaks in.... still better than my old Dakota

Hammer1

Reaction score

Best regards,
Dusty

Thats better than my ecodiesel ever did. Not sure I'm buying it but ok

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just drove from FL to WI... 75mph with cruise control, ECO only came on during downhill runs.

Best tank was a little over 16... worst was 14, average 15...
Hoping it gets a little better as the engine breaks in.... still better than my old Dakota
I'm seeing about the same. My best full tank thus far was 16.3 in mixed driving. Based on my observations while driving, it looks like the truck averages roughly 15.0 city / 17.5 highway (at 65-72, NOT at 80+). I've only got 2,2XX miles on the truck, and I've only been tracking for 1,900 miles, so I will hope for a bit of improvement.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only 76.7 miles of very mixed driving. Dash displayed 14.5 mpg, manual calculation 17.96 mpg. My 2001 Dodge 1500 never coincides between the two calculations although the numbers are closer.
Initial tank was dealer supplied and odometer had 8 miles on pick up (how many miles when filled?). My fill up was as per manual (click, wait 5 secs.).
Bighorn CC 4X4 V-8 3.21
Hope mpg is a sign of things to come.
My plan is to drive up to 300 miles as per break in schedule from manual. It should be noted that the salesman was unaware of the 300 mile "break in". I obtained the break in info from the vehicle display as the hard copy manual has to be requested from Ram. The hard copy is not available until FCA Ram have you as the owner. More than likely the vehicle will have passed the 300 mile mark when you receive the manual. So you need to download a manual or go to the vehicle's manual. It seems to me that Ram & dealerships should have break in information displayed (sticker/tag) on board.
I've had a few new vehicles and try to adhere to break in recommendations. There is some controversy on how to break in a vehicle and Ram's recommendation appears to take a "middle of the road approach".
Sorry for the "hijack" but hopefully this helps those who can still break in their Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread