5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG at 80 MPH

hunter1234

Reaction score
From what I am hearing you should get better mileage from the new ECO diesel. I have a 2016 eco diesel and can average around 24 - pushes to almost 30 on trips in the summer and keeping it around 60 mph. Winter and highway speeds of 70 diminish the MPG. Just ordered a 2020 eco Diesel but likely not in my hands for a month or two. Driving in today, 75 miles of highway to my office, I average around 22 mpg at an average speed of 70 in the rain. The standard axel on that older generation was I believe the 3.55 but I will have to check again to make sure as with all the numbers when ordering the new one I have a (hopefully) temporary memory block on what I ordered back then.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Longhorn Ecodiesel Shortbed.

at 60 I get 37, at 65 it drops to 33, 70 27-29. 75 its around 25 and 80+ its 22ish.

I'm in FL on flat ground so it's not terrain much.

at 45 mph, I've had as high as a sustained 56 mpg.

I can also say that after throwing out the 80lb AGM battery and installing a 18lb Lithium my mpg went up enough to see the bump in torque pro logs.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I commute 360 miles total to work and back once a week. The vast majority on interstate 84 across Idaho is 80 mph. (2000 foot elevation swing) If I maintain that speed I usually see between 23 and 24 MPG. 26 at 72 mph and 28 to 29 at 68 mph - 2020 1500 ORP 3.92

Seaeco

Reaction score
2020 Longhorn Ecodiesel Shortbed.

at 60 I get 37, at 65 it drops to 33, 70 27-29. 75 its around 25 and 80+ its 22ish.

I'm in FL on flat ground so it's not terrain much.

at 45 mph, I've had as high as a sustained 56 mpg.

I can also say that after throwing out the 80lb AGM battery and installing a 18lb Lithium my mpg went up enough to see the bump in torque pro logs.

Out of curiosity, which lithium battery did you install?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, which lithium battery did you install?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned V8 gas pickups from Ram, GM, and Ford. I had a V8 Toyota 4Runner. I had a V6 Ranger, Gladiator, and Frontier. I drive like an old man. I have NEVER, not one single time, ever, seen 20+ MPG on a tank of fuel. Doesn't matter if it's city, mixed, highway, 55 MPH, 85 MPH, or which state I'm in. I've never seen 20+ from a gas pickup truck. So I don't know where BobO lives, but he must be driving downhill 95% of the time with the trans. in neutral. I will never believe that a Hemi V8 will see those kinds of numbers.

As far as the Gen 3 EcoDiesel goes, from what I've been noticing over the last few months, it seems like the window sticker rating falls in between what owners with 3.21 gears and owners with 3.92 gears are seeing in the real world. 3.21s seem to do a tad better than sticker, which 3.92s seem to do a tad worse.

I've been seeing 21-22 in mixed driving. Sticker says 24. On the highway purely, 70 MPH, I'm generally in the 27 range. I don't think my truck would ever do 30 MPG regardless of how I drive it.

I just put larger tires on, so I'm waiting to see how much I'll lose from that. If I can still muster a real world 20 MPG I'll be excited.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I'm averaging around 18 MPG between 75 and 85 on the highways and a city driving thrown into it. The warm weather has made it better, and I can only put that down to the tire pressure being raised due to added road heat. Less surface contact, less resistance, higher MPG. Simple. :)

I could "baby" my truck... but I don't. The "extra" MPG gained is negligible, I'd rather enjoy the drive by stomping on the gas every once in a while.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my EcoDiesel from a Hemi. Can't wait to see the mileage. On my short drive to my detailer I was getting 32mpg around 60mph

awesmdiver

Reaction score
I just did a 645-mile trip (round-trip; ) and have a 22.9 MPG for the trip. This was a combination town & highway consisting of flat areas, rolling hills, and an up and over Tejon Pass (4144, i.e. Grapevine) on Highway 5 in Southern California. Unfortunately, the truck doesn't show average highway speed, but I would estimate around 67 mph while on the freeway. I was watching the MPG as this truck is new (515 miles at the start of the trip), and noticed on flat the MPG was 25-28 for 65-70 mph and at 75-80 it was 20-23. Was hoping to push a little more out of it - but I can't complain overall.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not bad at all for a rebel. Those big tires and lift certainly don't help the MPG

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not bad at all for a rebel. Those big tires and lift certainly don't help the MPG
i seriously get like 13 mpg combined city/highway, idk how all you guys are getting these numbers. i dont baby my truck like a grandpa but i also dont drive like a d!ck, i go along with the flow of everyone else. any pointers are appreciated :ROFLMAO: i know my 3.92's, level, and 35's dont help, but i really dont feel my mpg's are different than when my rebel was stock.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Just did a trip from Boise Idaho to Portland Oregon up over Mount Hood to bend then back around the Cascades to Salem up to Portland and back to Boise with the ORP and 3.92’s averaged over 27 MPG with some city driving mixed in there.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i seriously get like 13 mpg combined city/highway, idk how all you guys are getting these numbers. i dont baby my truck like a grandpa but i also dont drive like a d!ck, i go along with the flow of everyone else. any pointers are appreciated :ROFLMAO: i know my 3.92's, level, and 35's dont help, but i really dont feel my mpg's are different than when my rebel was stock.

His IS a diesel...

And, if those numbers were coming from the trucks lie-o-meter, then there is no way to know how accurate they are. I have logged every fill-up since I bought my truck (20K miles ago) in Fuelly and the lie-o-meter is almost always optimistic - by as much as almost 2 MPG. But, every now and then, it will be spot on - just to let me know it is totally not consistent.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
His IS a diesel...

And, if those numbers were coming from the trucks lie-o-meter, then there is no way to know how accurate they are. I have logged every fill-up since I bought my truck (20K miles ago) in Fuelly and the lie-o-meter is almost always optimistic - by as much as almost 2 MPG. But, every now and then, it will be spot on - just to let me know it is totally not consistent.
I find the difference between the Ram's calculations and hand to be .30 with the Ram reporting higher. This is with 17,998 miles. There can be larger differences both + and -. My experience is that it all depends on the consistency of speed prior to fill ups. If all the driving is highway the differences will be minimal. However if you change your mph the discrepancy will be greater. The mpg calculator appears to depend more on final mpg prior to fill up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/