5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG at 80 MPH

BobO

Reaction score
Just curious what people are getting for MPG running at 80 MPH? Interstates around here have a speed limit of 80, so I am curious.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At that speed specifically, it's all by the EVIC but my MPG drops off noticeably above 75 MPH. At 80, I'm usually in the 16.5-17 MPG range. Took a long trip this summer between 70-75 and got just over 19 MPG for reference. Truck details in sig but I blame the 3.92 which I would order again.

BobO

Reaction score
At that speed specifically, it's all by the EVIC but my MPG drops off noticeably above 75 MPH. At 80, I'm usually in the 16.5-17 MPG range. Took a long trip this summer between 70-75 and got just over 19 MPG for reference. Truck details in sig but I blame the 3.92 which I would order again.

I figured the ecodiesel would get better than the Hemi, not worse. My current 2020 laramie 5.7 Etorque with 3.21 is getting 18 at 80mph, and when I drop down to 70, the best I have averaged was 22.5 mpg.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Edwards This is the EcoDiesel subforum. Your signature does not say what engine you have. I'm guessing you have the Hemi since, as far as I know, no actual consumers have a new 1500 with an EcoDiesel. Being the ED forum, I'm guessing BobO was asking about ED numbers, not Hemi.

EDIT: My bad. Your sig does say eTorque, so you have a V6 or V8, but definitely not an ED.

@BobO, I don't think anyone except journalists have a new EcoDiesel yet. And I would not put any stock in any journalist data yet, as I think all the trucks they are testing are still pre-EPA Approval models, so the programming in production trucks could end up being different, with different mileage numbers.

I really don't even know why the reviewers are bothering to post fuel economy numbers on the new EcoDiesel yet. They would be more credible if they refused to give out numbers and called out the others who do, for exactly that reason. The trucks they are driving are not production models and it is exactly the thing that is most likely to change that they are reporting.

BobO

Reaction score
@Edwards This is the EcoDiesel subforum. Your signature does not say what engine you have. I'm guessing you have the Hemi since, as far as I know, no actual consumers have a new 1500 with an EcoDiesel. Being the ED forum, I'm guessing BobO was asking about ED numbers, not Hemi.

EDIT: My bad. Your sig does say eTorque, so you have a V6 or V8, but definitely not an ED.

@BobO, I don't think anyone except journalists have a new EcoDiesel yet. And I would not put any stock in any journalist data yet, as I think all the trucks they are testing are still pre-EPA Approval models, so the programming in production trucks could end up being different, with different mileage numbers.

I really don't even know why the reviewers are bothering to post fuel economy numbers on the new EcoDiesel yet. They would be more credible if they refused to give out numbers and called out the others who do, for exactly that reason. The trucks they are driving are not production models and it is exactly the thing that is most likely to change that they are reporting.

Yes, I was referring to the diesel. I strongly considered getting one in 2017, and again considered it before getting the 2020. I'm just curious how they perform at 80 MPH, since i drive that daily on interstate.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My bad. Was scrolling through new posts and failed to notice. Please disregard.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I was referring to the diesel. I strongly considered getting one in 2017, and again considered it before getting the 2020. I'm just curious how they perform at 80 MPH, since i drive that daily on interstate.

I would really like to know this, too. I drive about 20K miles a year and a lot of that is on the Interstate, where I have the cruise set at 80.

Like you, I was eyeing the ED in the 4th Gens and now I'm eyeing the new version. My truck is too new to be trading it in just yet. But, if the first year of the ED goes well, I could definitely see myself trading for a '21 or '22. Especially if GDE comes out with a tuned PCM for it like what they have for the ED in the 4th Gen trucks.

joaquin

Reaction score
As a reference I get around 20-21 MPG in my 2016 4th gen Ecodiesel at 75-85 MPH.
It’s a Quad Cab 6,4’ bed with 3,55 rear end, with 2” lift and 285/70R17 tires. Fuel economy was better whithout the lift and stock tires, but I’m happy with what I get.
25-26 MPG is the most I can get from it at around 60MPH.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I have a 2014 with 3.92 and tune. I often return to Ohio from western states unloaded. I average 23 mpg with cruise set on 80-82 mph occasionally 24 mpg. This would be for a 400 to 600 mile clip.

I suspect the 2020 box stock with 3.21/3.55 gear will do at least as well.

1JK

Reaction score
2020 ED x 3.92, havent logged in much at 80 mpg but at 75 i got 25-26 over 150 mi, 30 F. at 65-70 mpg 28-29. i think i lost ape 5% when i installed the bed top in the back.

Bubba33

Reaction score
With the cost of diesel and def, and the cost of the diesel option. There is not much upside to it like there used to be.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Perhaps not in Cali or PA where state governments have exorbitant taxes put on diesel. Then again if you are using it for towing a lot it still pans out pretty well both in fuel savings and longevity. DEF at 2.69 gallon from the pump and 8 gallon tank lasting me 10k miles thats $21.56 for 10k miles. Hardly a factor.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Perhaps not in Cali or PA where state governments have exorbitant taxes put on diesel. Then again if you are using it for towing a lot it still pans out pretty well both in fuel savings and longevity. DEF at 2.69 gallon from the pump and 8 gallon tank lasting me 10k miles thats $21.56 for 10k miles. Hardly a factor.
Diesel has been about .60 cents a gallon more then gas here. 26 gallons x 60 cents equals 15.60 more for fuel. I know i got rid of my cummins in 08 when it diesel hit 5.00 a gallon.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Bubba I bet you were not towing travel trailers for a living when you got rid of that ole 5.9. :)

Bubba33

Reaction score
Bubba I bet you were not towing travel trailers for a living when you got rid of that ole 5.9. :)
Nope i wasn't it was my work truck. You are moving trailers for a living with the 2020 eco diesel .i was just at the dealership today, they had one in there that was getting 17 mpg.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I am guessing Somebody’s been racing that one around town. No I have a 2014 with 640,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread