5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG - 12.5: is it normal?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You also have to factor in that forums typically aren't representatives of the whole population of RAM owners. Most people who actually seek out vehicle forums are either enthusiast or trying to research problems and concerns.

So just by that, we are going to see a higher mixture of people with issues who comment on forums. How often would I say there is a trouble free truck vs a Lemon? That I cannot be sure. But being on several forums (E90, S197, RAM & Silverado), I have to say it's about the same across various manufacturers.
Was not looking at percentages. The fact that some trucks/cars are great running, fuel efficient and trouble free in the mechanics, and other have poor mileage (even when driven carefully and in a fairly flat environment), have a lack of power, run rough and just seem to have mechanical issues (Hemi tic, etc), tells me that NOT every vehicle that comes off the assembly line has perfectly identical components. I grew up around a shop, and know for a fact that some cars are winners, and some cars are losers no matter the driver. Yes, a big factor is the nut that holds the wheel, but not the only one by any stretch. If you disassemble any engine and weigh the pistons and rods alone, you will find a variation (significant in some cases) in weights and size specs from machining and die differences. Any hot-roder knows that you don't just grab engine components from a bin, throw them in a performance engine, and expect to get maximum HP, torque and performance. You weigh and mic the parts and do a little metal removal to get the weights perfect, mic and weigh every moving part, and check the bore on every cylinder. I'm sure the factory that supplies our engines does that on every one.
Then throw in the perfect electronics we get from China and a whole new set of factors crop up. No two identical vehicles are identical. Never.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Was not looking at percentages. The fact that some trucks/cars are great running, fuel efficient and trouble free in the mechanics, and other have poor mileage (even when driven carefully and in a fairly flat environment), have a lack of power, run rough and just seem to have mechanical issues (Hemi tic, etc), tells me that NOT every vehicle that comes off the assembly line has perfectly identical components. I grew up around a shop, and know for a fact that some cars are winners, and some cars are losers no matter the driver. Yes, a big factor is the nut that holds the wheel, but not the only one by any stretch. If you disassemble any engine and weigh the pistons and rods alone, you will find a variation (significant in some cases) in weights and size specs from machining and die differences. Any hot-roder knows that you don't just grab engine components from a bin, throw them in a performance engine, and expect to get maximum HP, torque and performance. You weigh and mic the parts and do a little metal removal to get the weights perfect, mic and weigevery moving part, and check the bore on every cylinder. I'm sure the factory that supplies our engines does that on every one.
Then throw in the perfect electronics we get from China and a whole new set of factors crop up. No two identical vehicles are identical. Never.

That makes sense to me, there are variances across the board, and some vehicles get a lower mix and others a higher mix. Factor in so many components that have a direct effect on a cars reliability or perceived reliability such as electronic sensors, body seem leaks, paint quality, welding, etc.

I'm honestly surprised more things don't go wrong on a modern vehicle these days. I am hoping that whatever batch of rollers that went into my engine in Mexico was good, that the seam filling robot (or person) in Michigan that worked on my frame did it right, and that plastic mix that was done on my rear window frame in China was correct. And that the folks in Michigan who screwed my truck together didn't forget to torque the thousands and thousands of bolts correctly.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
You also have to factor in that forums typically aren't representatives of the whole population of RAM owners. Most people who actually seek out vehicle forums are either enthusiast or trying to research problems and concerns.

So just by that, we are going to see a higher mixture of people with issues who comment on forums. How often would I say there is a trouble free truck vs a Lemon? That I cannot be sure. But being on several forums (E90, S197, RAM & Silverado), I have to say it's about the same across various manufacturers.
I still remember the recommendations particularly in the 70's 80's to take a look at what day of the week a vehicle was put together...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I still remember the recommendations particularly in the 70's 80's to take a look at what day of the week a vehicle was put together...

Lol, I did that, to see if it was made on Monday morning of Friday afternoon. You can get the exact day your truck was made on the door sticker. I only checked after the fact because I was curious, with the deal I got, nothing was going to stop my from buying this truck honestly.

Mine was built on Jan 2019, I think on a Wednesday at 3pm. So, not too bad a day/time of the week and so far my truck has been pretty flawless.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back then more of the vehicle was hand assembled. Now, much more is done by machines/robots. But, many more parts/components now.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My ‘21 1500 has 5.7 non-etorque, 4x4, 20” laramie wheels/tires, 3.21’s, and had 800 miles at the start of my long highway trip. I got 20.1 mpg from full to gas light on (100% highway with one rest stop). I calculated that with pencil and paper, and my trip odo gas mileage display read 20.2mpg.

kd908070

Reaction score
a friend once said "if you are worried about millage maybe you should not have that vehicle"
I think you missed the main point. I ask the question to make sure my truck is healthy. I don't concern about the $$$. I have spent $400~$500/month on gas for a long time (5+ years) and it never an issue for me.
As long as most people have the same MPG as mine, I'm good.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got the used 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie 5.7 V8. Everything is stock + K&N drop in air filter. Running 89 Gasoline.
I drive mostly city and I get 12.5 MPG. Is it an expect number? normal.
Thanks,
-KD
Yep, pretty normal in the city. The more stops and shorter the route, the worse it will be. Mine, by contrast, hovered in the 9-10 MPG consistently due to my stupid-short commute.

Cheers,

ameyer81

Reaction score
New to Ram, and love the 21 I just bought. The truck just feels great. Interior is superb, it's quiet, rides wonderfully and really meets my expectations.

I will say I'm initially disappointed in the fuel economy. Last three vehicles were GMC Sierra (08, 14, 17) crew cab 6.5' bed pickups, and they got better each iteration until my last (17) with the 6.2L that was seeing MPGs in the low 20s using cruise control on highway trips. Sweet.

Now, I'm still on my first tank of gas (and thank goodness for the 33gal tank- why doesn't GM do this on half tons??)... so, it's anybody's guess what fuel the dealer put in from the get-go. But so far I've reset the fuel economy tracker twice after doing some more idling than usual while setting up systems, etc. Best I've seen with my normal driving is 17mpg. Ok. Worst is 13mpg. On stock junky tires! Damn.

Next I'm putting on real tires (BFG KO2 285/65; ~2" larger diameter) and anticipate a drop in MPGs, but get that is inherent with a larger tire. I want them to fill the wheel wells better and give me a little better clearance. No prob to see 1-2mpg loss in exchange.

Data points: 2017 GMC had a lifetime fuel economy (35k mi) of 18mpg. That included remote starts on cold mornings, quick accelerations, passing people at the speed limiter, etc. Heaviest thing I tow is a 500lb trailer.

If this half ton gasser can't come close to that, I might as well buy one of the new V6 turbo hybrid engine rigs from Toyota or Ford. But then I'd be driving a Toyota or Ford... so maybe not!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
New to Ram, and love the 21 I just bought. The truck just feels great. Interior is superb, it's quiet, rides wonderfully and really meets my expectations.

I will say I'm initially disappointed in the fuel economy. Last three vehicles were GMC Sierra (08, 14, 17) crew cab 6.5' bed pickups, and they got better each iteration until my last (17) with the 6.2L that was seeing MPGs in the low 20s using cruise control on highway trips. Sweet.

Now, I'm still on my first tank of gas (and thank goodness for the 33gal tank- why doesn't GM do this on half tons??)... so, it's anybody's guess what fuel the dealer put in from the get-go. But so far I've reset the fuel economy tracker twice after doing some more idling than usual while setting up systems, etc. Best I've seen with my normal driving is 17mpg. Ok. Worst is 13mpg. On stock junky tires! Damn.

Next I'm putting on real tires (BFG KO2 285/65; ~2" larger diameter) and anticipate a drop in MPGs, but get that is inherent with a larger tire. I want them to fill the wheel wells better and give me a little better clearance. No prob to see 1-2mpg loss in exchange.

Data points: 2017 GMC had a lifetime fuel economy (35k mi) of 18mpg. That included remote starts on cold mornings, quick accelerations, passing people at the speed limiter, etc. Heaviest thing I tow is a 500lb trailer.

If this half ton gasser can't come close to that, I might as well buy one of the new V6 turbo hybrid engine rigs from Toyota or Ford. But then I'd be driving a Toyota or Ford... so maybe not!
Sorry to break this to you, but you will never see anywhere near lifetime 18 MPG on your truck unless all your driving is highway driving. It’s just not possible.

Cheers,

ameyer81

Reaction score
Sorry to break this to you, but you will never see anywhere near lifetime 18 MPG on your truck unless all your driving is highway driving. It’s just not possible.
Well, about 90% of my driving is highway driving because I live in a rural place. My point is, I'm comparing apples to apples between these two engines and chassis.

Guess we'll see what e torque, the lowering suspension and air dam can do to help.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If Furds and Chebby's were so good to you, why did you buy a Ram?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
City driving second kills mpg, mds will never engage. Also, try to refrain from remote starting and idling for long periods of time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve been a Chevy man all my life too. Decided to try ram after hearing about the interior, the ride quality, and power. Not disappointed at all!

Bama2020

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got the used 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie 5.7 V8. Everything is stock + K&N drop in air filter. Running 89 Gasoline.
I drive mostly city and I get 12.5 MPG. Is it an expect number? normal.
Thanks,
-KD
Get rid of the drop in and get a quality CAI....aFe or K&N,S&B.You will see an improvement with any of these intakes along with a more high flow exhaust and most importantly a good tonneau cover. I run 33s so my wheels are about 110 lb and I was only getting mid
13mpg -14mpg... Made the changes I stated above and I'm easily in the mid-16s and 17s depending on how big I want my smile to be on any given day.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Get rid of the drop in and get a quality CAI....aFe or K&N,S&B.You will see an improvement with any of these intakes along with a more high flow exhaust and most importantly a good tonneau cover. I run 33s so my wheels are about 110 lb and I was only getting mid
13mpg -14mpg... Made the changes I stated above and I'm easily in the mid-16s and 17s depending on how big I want my smile to be on any given day.
It's been proven that a tonneau cover does nothing to improve MPG's.

Users who are viewing this thread