5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG - 12.5: is it normal?

kd908070

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got the used 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie 5.7 V8. Everything is stock + K&N drop in air filter. Running 89 Gasoline.
I drive mostly city and I get 12.5 MPG. Is it an expect number? normal.
Thanks,
-KD

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So many variables, the big ones are your rear axle ratio, tire size, city/highway ratio and a big one many people don't mention is elevation of your roads.

I have a 3.92, 33" tires, mostly city and lots of elevations. My mpg varies from 10 mpg - 13.5 mpg in that situation, depending on hard I want to drive.

However, if I can get on a flat road on the highway, I can get over 20 mpg if I take it easy. If you are driving mostly city with a 3.92 axle, then your mpg is about right.

kd908070

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing.
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/55R20.
80% City (no elevation) - 20% Highway.
3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I have 1000 miles on my truck and 99% of the driving has been in town. I was getting a little more than 16 mpg until I just filled up with 89. I am now getting about 18 mpg. I'm a little skeptical about the mileage increase being because of the 89, so I'll run another tank to be sure. I drive somewhat aggressive but I'm not hammering the gas from light to light. All of my specs are in my signature.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There's a lot to consider when talking about MPG. Like already mentioned, tire size and gear ratios will make a difference. You say you mostly drive in the city. I'm assuming there's a lot of stop and go traffic, idling at traffic lights. That will have a huge impact on your mileage.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Mostly city, stop and go, kills the ave mpg. Mine will go from 19.7 with a mix of city and hwy to mid to low 15's with majority of in town driving.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If you live in a big city with lots of traffic, 12.5 around town is not alarmingly bad. I avoid rush hour as much as I can and still barely manage to squeak 14 in all city driving.

Take it out early on your day off out on a two lane country highway and set the cruise control at 55 or 60 or whatever -- below 65 for sure. If you aren't getting at least 20 mpg on the dash meter after 15 miles or so, then you have a problem.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got the used 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie 5.7 V8. Everything is stock + K&N drop in air filter. Running 89 Gasoline.
Thanks,
-KD
Yup

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mileage comparisons are totally impossible and quite useless. Even on two vehicles that are equipped exactly alike, because of all the parts that go into said vehicles, mileage can vary greatly. Even the smallest part when looking at manufacturer variations play a part in the outcome. And depending on the machining and boring, whether they are new dies or worn, whether the guy doing the machining or assembly is having a good or bad day or in final assembly how it is bolted, screwed, or fitted together, makes a difference. And that is just the engine. Then you throw in the electronics that control and the driver, environmental differences, and any other number of factors, it's no wonder that individual numbers vary so much.
Just try to get the best that your truck can get if it is of concern, and it is what it is. Or, just enjoy the ride.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mileage comparisons are totally impossible and quite useless. Even on two vehicles that are equipped exactly alike, because of all the parts that go into said vehicles, mileage can vary greatly. Even the smallest part when looking at manufacturer variations play a part in the outcome. And depending on the machining and boring, whether they are new dies or worn, whether the guy doing the machining or assembly is having a good or bad day or in final assembly how it is bolted, screwed, or fitted together, makes a difference. And that is just the engine. Then you throw in the electronics that control and the driver, environmental differences, and any other number of factors, it's no wonder that individual numbers vary so much.
Just try to get the best that your truck can get if it is of concern, and it is what it is. Or, just enjoy the ride.
Hell, the same driver in the same truck can get 2 different mileages on the same route depending on air temp and humidity.

Back to @kd908070 , depending on how much stop and go you actually have, plus your foot pressure, 12.5 is not abnormal. My "city" driving is a lot less intensive than a heavily populated metro where city blocks are a few hundred feet.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hell, the same driver in the same truck can get 2 different mileages on the same route depending on air temp and humidity.

Back to @kd908070 , depending on how much stop and go you actually have, plus your foot pressure, 12.5 is not abnormal. My "city" driving is a lot less intensive than a heavily populated metro where city blocks are a few hundred feet.
Like I said, useless. Just enjoy the truck and be glad it isn't a model "T" and open air seating.

kd908070

Reaction score
Thanks all for the helpful info. As long as you all see 12.5 MPG is normal, I'm ok. I Just want to know my truck is healthy.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Absolutely, that's normal under your conditions. You may want to do a test drive on the highway and see what you can get in the high end. Reset your mpg and see what you can get in the high end taking it easy on a constant highway speed.

You should see 20 mpg or higher in that situation.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I'm in the mountains and I was seeing about 13 mpg...doing mostly city driving. Then last weekend I went on vacation about 400 miles round trip and averaged around 21 mpg. Lots of variables as others have mentioned. Your mpg is probably normal.

jessed1

Reaction score
I have been getting 18 mpg on my 2021 for the first 2500 miles (bought end of June). This tank of gas, I decided to play with the throttle more (ok, mashing the gas pedal and it is FUN). MPG is sitting at 12.8 after a quarter of a tank. Driving habits could be part of your answer.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks,
-KD
You just got it... Ding Ding Ding... Mine, even with the 3.21 rear end was doing the same for about the first 1200 to 1300 miles then here just lately hitting the 1400 mile mark, It has jumped up to like 15 with mixed (60/65% highway) driving. There is another guy here who calculated every tank mpg against miles on the odometer and it was the same thing... So, I would wait till around 1500 miles to get concerned.

bocco

Reaction score
Funny that when I bought mine I was comparing stickers and according to the stickers the 3.21 and 3.92 get the same mileage. Don't believe that for a minute.

Like everyone else I'm getting 12.5 to 13 in the city which is most of my driving these days. I can get 20 on a highway run.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I highly doubt that minute machining differences, stamping die condition and bolt torque anomalies could have ANY sort of noticeable differences unless on an engine dyno.

I bet if you took two similarly equipped trucks and had a robot drive them in a controlled environment they would be almost equal in fuel economy.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly doubt that minute machining differences, stamping die condition and bolt torque anomalies could have ANY sort of noticeable differences unless on an engine dyno.

I bet if you took two similarly equipped trucks and had a robot drive them in a controlled environment they would be almost equal in fuel economy.
Why does one truck run 250K trouble free with little maintenance, and another pukes a rod/cam/valve, or whatever at 5K. Why are some here having no trouble, and some have lemons.
Could it be manufacturing variations??????? Maybe gremlins 🤔???

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Why does one truck run 250K trouble free with little maintenance, and another pukes a rod/cam/valve, or whatever at 5K. Why are some here having no trouble, and some have lemons.
Could it be manufacturing variations??????? Maybe gremlins 🤔???

You also have to factor in that forums typically aren't representatives of the whole population of RAM owners. Most people who actually seek out vehicle forums are either enthusiast or trying to research problems and concerns.

So just by that, we are going to see a higher mixture of people with issues who comment on forums. How often would I say there is a trouble free truck vs a Lemon? That I cannot be sure. But being on several forums (E90, S197, RAM & Silverado), I have to say it's about the same across various manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread