5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motorized Air Dam in all 5th Gen Trucks

Quint

Reaction score
I finally installed tow hooks in my 2021 Big Horn, since Chrysler was too cheap to do it at the factory. When watching the install video (and in doing the work), I learned about these motorized air dams that all 5th Gen trucks have (unless you have air suspension) that activate above 35mph for better aerodynamics. I also was not aware that we had motorized shutters in the front grills. Here is an article that I found about them:

I never knew that our trucks had these standard. Was I the only one?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, knew my Laramie had both …. Also knew it will make my tow hook install more difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m sure not the only one. But you’re in the minority. Active aero shutters have been used for a few years on most newer vehicles.

Before it was only the higher end trims, it recently all have been getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I finally installed tow hooks in my 2021 Big Horn, since Chrysler was too cheap to do it at the factory. When watching the install video (and in doing the work), I learned about these motorized air dams that all 5th Gen trucks have (unless you have air suspension) that activate above 35mph for better aerodynamics. I also was not aware that we had motorized shutters in the front grills. Here is an article that I found about them:

I never knew that our trucks had these standard. Was I the only one?
It's called an active air dam, and active grille shutters. And, except for some of the early 5th gens, even trucks with air suspension have the active air dam. I'm not sure what models it is standard on, but air suspension has nothing to do with it in more recent model year 5th gens.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you tell just looking through the grill if you have the motorized dams? What do they look like?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't think you can't see it through the grille. The active air dam is mounted behind the stationary air dam, which is mounted to the bottom of the front bumper. It kind of looks like a plastic blade tucked up behind it. I'd include pics but I've removed both the active and stationary front air dams. I didn't find that they did much for fuel economy, and I like how the truck looks without them.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't think you can't see it through the grille. The active air dam is mounted behind the stationary air dam, which is mounted to the bottom of the front bumper. It kind of looks like a plastic blade tucked up behind it. I'd include pics but I've removed both the active and stationary front air dams. I didn't find that they did much for fuel economy, and I like how the truck looks without them.
Don't think I'd want to take off the active one but taking off that big plastic stationary one has crossed my mind. Wondering how it would look without the stationary one but keeping the active one...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't think I'd want to take off the active one but taking off that big plastic stationary one has crossed my mind. Wondering how it would look without the stationary one but keeping the active one...
Haha...The active air dam looks pretty goofy without the stationary air dam to hide behind. Why don't you want to remove the AAD? Doesn't throw a code. And I honestly didn't see a difference in fuel economy after removing them. I am thinking about some kind of debris shield or skid plate to cover that area. But I'm not all that worried about it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha...The active air dam looks pretty goofy without the stationary air dam to hide behind. Why don't you want to remove the AAD? Doesn't throw a code. And I honestly didn't see a difference in fuel economy after removing them. I am thinking about some kind of debris shield or skid plate to cover that area. But I'm not all that worried about it.
No particular reason really, other than I'm trying to be cautious about how much "stuff" I do to my truck. First time doing any real mods at all (some I'm doing myself, like the sway bar swap, others I'm not brave enough, like exhaust replacement) so just trying to make sure I know what I'm doing, and won't regret it (as much as it's possible to predict that).

ShadowHawk

Reaction score
yeah my limited has the air damn
Ditto. Was curious after reading another thread and it's there, and had bugs on it so assuming it works haha. Strange thing it's not on the window sticker, but it is on the build sheet. Now I just gotta test if normal mode + active air dam is more efficient than the truck lowering into aero mode w/o the dam.

Derek916

Reaction score
Reading that 2019 press release on all the aerodynamics, and the truck being lighter. The epa is the same for a 4th gen and 5th gen. Doesn’t that imply that all the hoopla doesn’t help?

Quint

Reaction score
Yeah, to me it just sounds like one more thing that can break. The active air dam I couldn't care about, but if those active grill shutters fail in the closed condition then you could overheat I would assume.

Users who are viewing this thread