5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most inflated new car price due to shortages

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, exactly what I've seen. I forget to mention GM as well, was helping a buddy look for Trail Bosses and hardly any trucks on the lot either.

Why was GM and Ford caught so flat footed with production? Maybe with Stellantis as a group has better sourcing for their parts.
When I ordered my truck the dealer claimed that Stellantis had a HUGE stockpile of chips so that’s why they weren’t affected nearly as bad as Ford and GM. No idea if that’s true or not. Maybe they just had much better suppliers.

GM and Ford lots around here are still empty and have been all year. RAM dealers have a big uptick in inventory the last few months. They went from 1-2 new RAM’s for most of the year to 15-20 now.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
When I ordered my truck the dealer claimed that Stellantis had a HUGE stockpile of chips so that’s why they weren’t affected nearly as bad as Ford and GM. No idea if that’s true or not. Maybe they just had much better suppliers.

GM and Ford lots around here are still empty and have been all year. RAM dealers have a big uptick in inventory the last few months. They went from 1-2 new RAM’s for most of the year to 15-20 now.

That makes sense to me, based on what I've seen on the dealership level. I think the international group of Stellantis has a good reach in suppliers which helped out the Chrysler group arm.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Our local Ram dealership has 23 trucks in stock. The Ford dealership has 3 new trucks and it's been like that for over a year. The Chevy dealership has 64 Silverado's and 15 Colorado's. This is in a town with a population of ~60,000.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stellantis put their chips in the highest demanded vehicles. Rams, Wranglers, Grand Cherokees. Very limited production of other vehicles. At our dealer we have 24 new Ram 1500s, 4 are Laramie.

Big Jim Swade

Reaction score
I had a deposit on a new Tundra for 8 months. I gave up on the Toyota when I found my Ram Bighorn Quad cab at the end of July for $9,900 below MSRP.

Attachments

• IMG_0448 (1).JPG
    IMG_0448 (1).JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 14

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Try finding a Bronco, Mustang Mach E, or Maverick...or ordering a Lightning. All scarce or impossible to get without outrageous dealer mark up.
I’ll keep telling them to f off by not giving them a dime until GM and Ford stop their toothless posturing in the form of memos stating they’ll take actions on dealers that mark up. They’ll never follow through and dealers know that, which is why there’s a running joke in the dealer industry that OEM memos get posted in the bathrooms.
Here ya go. Two dealers within 30 miles of each other. Each have 50+ RAM's. Discounts ranging from 7,000 to 10,000!!!!
Now take into considering discounts are hefty on the Big Horn 1500's. Might not see those huge discounts on a Limited or Laramie. But definitely NO dealer markups anywhere here on RAM's.

Even the TRX's are beginning to be discounted.

GM no rebates/no discounts FORD no rebates/no discounts. No or limited inventory.

View attachment 136130 View attachment 136131
What you’re seeing there is straight up illegal and should be reported to your State’s Attorney General. Those prices are a fraudulent marketing tactic where they apply all possible discounts- buyers will never be able to get ALL discounts applied during a sale. Why do dealers get away with this? Because not enough people complain about it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife wanted a new VW Tiguan. I used the VW site trying to find a vehicle with the color/option content that she wanted. Called many places within 150 miles and they were all adding between $2,000 and $5,000 to the MSRP. I was not about to pay over list. I was patient and waited 2 weeks for new allocations to hit dealer lots and began to made calls again. I found a local dealer where I was able to speak with the owner. He gave me $2,000 of list and picked it up the next day. It takes some time but if you are patient, you can usually find someone that is reasonable.

U

User_3336

What you’re seeing there is straight up illegal and should be reported to your State’s Attorney General. Those prices are a fraudulent marketing tactic where they apply all possible discounts- buyers will never be able to get ALL discounts applied during a sale. Why do dealers get away with this? Because not enough people complain about it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
WHAT are you talking about?????????????????????? EXACTLY what is fraudulent in the pics I posted? Those prices are the prices you pay. In the one pic, the rebates are purely stated, and the dealer discount is just that. I'm not sure what you are saying about reporting it to the Atty General, and how its fake marketing? WHY WOULD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT DISCOUNTS?

The Ram 1500 Quad with $9480 OFF is exactly the price. There is a $5980 dealer discount, and there were $3500 in manufacturer rebates. This dealer sells in volume, and its exactly where I bought my truck, and I got similar discounts on mine as well....

None of the rebates posted were "conditional" (like military, student, etc).

the other pic of the white $1500, with the $7,000 discount. Similar truck. This dealer isn't as aggressive in their pricing (never has been), and I do hate when a dealer just throws a discount out there that isn't itemized. The sales manager is just a total prick to deal with.

I can post my bill of sale if you consider the pricing to be "fraudulent".

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

Our local Ram dealership has 23 trucks in stock. The Ford dealership has 3 new trucks and it's been like that for over a year. The Chevy dealership has 64 Silverado's and 15 Colorado's. This is in a town with a population of ~60,000.
I don't think there are 64 NEW Silverado's in the state of TN, let alone one dealer! LOL

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHAT are you talking about?????????????????????? EXACTLY what is fraudulent in the pics I posted? Those prices are the prices you pay. In the one pic, the rebates are purely stated, and the dealer discount is just that. I'm not sure what you are saying about reporting it to the Atty General, and how its fake marketing? WHY WOULD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT DISCOUNTS?

The Ram 1500 Quad with $9480 OFF is exactly the price. There is a $5980 dealer discount, and there were $3500 in manufacturer rebates. This dealer sells in volume, and its exactly where I bought my truck, and I got similar discounts on mine as well....

None of the rebates posted were "conditional" (like military, student, etc).

the other pic of the white $1500, with the $7,000 discount. Similar truck. This dealer isn't as aggressive in their pricing (never has been), and I do hate when a dealer just throws a discount out there that isn't itemized. The sales manager is just a total prick to deal with.

I can post my bill of sale if you consider the pricing to be "fraudulent".
Ok. 👍

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What dealer has that many Silverados on their lot right now?

U

User_3336

Exactly what dealership was that with 64 Silverado's?

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I bet none of those Silverados have working heated seats. That is the main component they are missing chips for. A friend of mine bought one and the dealer said they would call him to bring it in once they get the parts.

U

User_3336

I bet none of those Silverados have working heated seats. That is the main component they are missing chips for. A friend of mine bought one and the dealer said they would call him to bring it in once they get the parts.
AFM/DFM (cylinder activation) is another common feature missing (WOW, a $50 credit) on a Chevy/GM

U

User_3336

Not sure how a GMC is gonna sell Double Cab Sierra cab (and its NOT an AT4) for $62,855. THAT IS INSANE! That is MSRP!
You could get a Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 4x4 for about $42,000.

gmc.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ll keep telling them to f off by not giving them a dime until GM and Ford stop their toothless posturing in the form of memos stating they’ll take actions on dealers that mark up. They’ll never follow through and dealers know that, which is why there’s a running joke in the dealer industry that OEM memos get posted in the bathrooms.

There is ALWAYS fine print on a page somewhere claiming that they don't all apply, i'm sure it's hard to see but it's on the website somewhere.
All dealers do this shady crap for the most part because people are dumb and they go to where the price is lower so if

Dealer A lists truck for 50k with no rebates but lists rebates separately
Dealer B lists truck for 35k including all rebates, most of which can't apply.

Person calls dealer B because most people just don't think when spending their hard earned money.

I even had a dealership who admitted to doing this and just claimed how much business they would lose if they fixed it, I can see both sides. Personally I would do the legit pricing but they make a good point that if everyone is doing it...
But they you got places like MD who don't do the price BS and get all the business anyways.
AFM/DFM (cylinder activation) is another common feature missing (WOW, a $50 credit) on a Chevy/GM
That's a good thing, that $50 credit is more like a $5000 credit for not having it and it blowing up 50k miles into your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread