5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights flickering at idle

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently purchaesed and installed Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights (Type S), and noticed that they are flickering slightly when the engine is running at idle. They do not flicker at all with the engine off and they also appear to not be flickering if I rev the engine to 2000 RPM.

It is not very noticeable when looking at the lights themselves, but it is noticeable when looking at the light pattern cast onto my garage door at night.

I contacted the seller and confirmed that they do not require an anti-flickering module.

I checked the negative battery terminal to make sure it wasn't loose. It was only slightly loose, so I tightened it but the flickering did not go away.

I also checked the other ground points in the engine bay and those were all tight. I don't know if I got them all. I saw three on the driver side there may be more. I don't know.

I double checked the wiring polarity at the fog light connectors and those are correct per the install video from Headlight Revolution.

I verified that the battery voltage is maintaining a steady 14.5V at idle.

I'm not sure what else to check.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

Any advice as to how I should troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you will get flicker when installing leds in the bed I’d say your third brake light isn’t led. Once you swap that bulb out it goes away. I think it has something to do with being on the same circuit of the canbus? Do you have any other incandescent bulbs that maybe you can trying swapping

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you will get flicker when installing leds in the bed I’d say your third brake light isn’t led. Once you swap that bulb out it goes away. I think it has something to do with being on the same circuit of the canbus? Do you have any other incandescent bulbs that maybe you can trying swapping
Right now I'm swapping out all the halogens for LEDs. So far I have swapped the tail lights with OEM LEDs, and I swapped the OEM incandescent fog lights with these Morimoto LED complete housings.

I currently still have the halogen head lamps in there. I will be installing OEM LED headlights soon.

Are you saying that once I put the LEDs in there, the fog lights will stop flickering?

2k21Ram

Reaction score
Right now I'm swapping out all the halogens for LEDs. So far I have swapped the tail lights with OEM LEDs, and I swapped the OEM incandescent fog lights with these Morimoto LED complete housings.

I currently still have the halogen head lamps in there. I will be installing OEM LED headlights soon.

Are you saying that once I put the LEDs in there, the fog lights will stop flickering?

I know this is an old post, but did you ever figure out the issue with the flickering LED's?
I just installed a new set of LED headlights, and I'm having this same issue with flickering. It happens randomly when driving, and I can also reproduce it when I'm stopped and I rev the engine, when it comes back and dips to or just below idle, it flickers. 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn eTorque.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but did you ever figure out the issue with the flickering LED's?
I just installed a new set of LED headlights, and I'm having this same issue with flickering. It happens randomly when driving, and I can also reproduce it when I'm stopped and I rev the engine, when it comes back and dips to or just below idle, it flickers. 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn eTorque.
No, I did not. Tech Support tried to help me for a little while, but once they determined it wasn’t an easy fix, they ghosted me.

I just learned to live with it. They don’t flicker too bad, plus it’s just the fogs, so I just ignore it.

Kingkeller50

Reaction score

What brand of led headlights did you get ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2k21Ram

Reaction score
What brand of led headlights did you get ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got one's that are made by Anzo, sold by Americantrucks.com.
They want to give me a refund, but I like the lights and would rather resolve the issue then just return them.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like those headlights. For the turn signal lights, are they sequential led’s?

My 2022 ram 1500 will come with halogen headlights. I’m fine with just replacing the bulbs with led bulbs until I get money for a full replacement headlights .

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

2k21Ram

Reaction score
Like those headlights. For the turn signal lights, are they sequential led’s?

My 2022 ram 1500 will come with halogen headlights. I’m fine with just replacing the bulbs with led bulbs until I get money for a full replacement headlights .

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Yes, the turn signals are sequential LEDs. I'm honestly thinking of just going back to the factory headlights and putting in LED bulbs to replace the factory halogens. He factory housings actually have pretty decent beam pattern, just need more light ouutput.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the turn signals are sequential LEDs. I'm honestly thinking of just going back to the factory headlights and putting in LED bulbs to replace the factory halogens. He factory housings actually have pretty decent beam pattern, just need more light ouutput.
Well my 2022 order will have halogens. I just ordered some lasfit LED bulbs...so if you can do some comparisons from the aftermarket headlight kit, back to halogens, then LED replacement bulbs of your chosinf, that would be great.

My only requirement for the LED bulb replacement is that it has to be all white. I'm not a fan of having some weird blue shade of white.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditch the morimoto fog lights and get the Diode Dynamic SS3 fog lights. Way brighter and zero issues. Direct plug and play.

2k21Ram

Reaction score
Well my 2022 order will have halogens. I just ordered some lasfit LED bulbs...so if you can do some comparisons from the aftermarket headlight kit, back to halogens, then LED replacement bulbs of your chosinf, that would be great.

My only requirement for the LED bulb replacement is that it has to be all white. I'm not a fan of having some weird blue shade of white.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
Funny you say that, because I actually had ordered the Lasfit LED bulbs even prior to these headlights, just never installed them.
So, long story short, my factory headlights are reinstalled with the Lasfit bulbs in them. They are bright for sure, but the Lasfit LEDs definately don't replicate the factory beam battern. It's more Scattered, and I need to aim my headlights down more to not blind oncoming traffic vs the halogen bulbs. The other thing I noticed about the Lasfit bulbs is that for the low beams, the cap for the headlight housing actually touches the fan shroud of the bulb, and actually puts a bit of preassure on it, which moves the angle of the bulb from what it would be for the factory halogen. I think this is whats causing the more scattered beam pattern. I'm actually surprised that Lasfit carries these as a fit for the Ram because of this. You need something with a 1/4" smaller fan shroud.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny you say that, because I actually had ordered the Lasfit LED bulbs even prior to these headlights, just never installed them.
So, long story short, my factory headlights are reinstalled with the Lasfit bulbs in them. They are bright for sure, but the Lasfit LEDs definately don't replicate the factory beam battern. It's more Scattered, and I need to aim my headlights down more to not blind oncoming traffic vs the halogen bulbs. The other thing I noticed about the Lasfit bulbs is that for the low beams, the cap for the headlight housing actually touches the fan shroud of the bulb, and actually puts a bit of preassure on it, which moves the angle of the bulb from what it would be for the factory halogen. I think this is whats causing the more scattered beam pattern. I'm actually surprised that Lasfit carries these as a fit for the Ram because of this. You need something with a 1/4" smaller fan shroud.
I received my box with my low beams inside them ( but no truck to put them in...lol). It's super simple to just rotate the LED bulb. I attached a picture if it. Right below the rubber orange seal, you can rotate the white piece so you can aim the bulb and not the entire housing. Hope that helps. I ordered another set for the fog lights. Not to bad for spending roughly $70 for all for of them. I look back now and I wish I got diode dynamic ones.

Long term, I can see myself just paying the extra $$ and get factory led headlights.
9c13ef6a82932fb91ab92aeec5f308fd.jpg

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received my box with my low beams inside them ( but no truck to put them in...lol). It's super simple to just rotate the LED bulb. I attached a picture if it. Right below the rubber orange seal, you can rotate the white piece so you can aim the bulb and not the entire housing. Hope that helps. I ordered another set for the fog lights. Not to bad for spending roughly $70 for all for of them. I look back now and I wish I got diode dynamic ones.

Long term, I can see myself just paying the extra $$ and get factory led headlights.
9c13ef6a82932fb91ab92aeec5f308fd.jpg

60BA68E8-AC2D-48F0-9499-8D47B87BDC4B.jpeg It’s a very nice upgrade! If you’re just looking for more light output, changing the bulbs out is fine, but for looks, nothing beats the OEM LED housings.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 101533 It’s a very nice upgrade! If you’re just looking for more light output, changing the bulbs out is fine, but for looks, nothing beats the OEM LED housings.
Absolutely agree. Had them on my 2020 laramie before I traded it. It looked great.

But this time when ordering my 2022 ram big horn, i couldn't afford everything I wanted. It was either the LED package or rambox. I optioned out for the rambox because it's not something I can swap later, like headlights.

LED bulb replacement is temporary for the next couple of years until I can find/pay for a permanent replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread