5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More AGS issues

Jeff1322

Reaction score
This is my first post and this is my first RAM 1500. Previously I have owned 12 Ford F 150s, 3 GMC 1500s. I have had this RAM back to the dealer 11 times with the active air dam being replaced at a cost of $1,240. Currently the grille mounted air shutters seem to deploy at a variety of temperatures when below 35 MPH bringing the coolant temperature up from 204 deg F to 224 to 228 deg F. I have witnessed the fan coming on at 222 deg F and shutting off a 219 deg F. Sometimes the fan runs when the shutters are closed other times the shutters are open but never consistently or repeatedly relative the the temperature. I am not opposed to putting manual switches on both the air dam and the shutters if someone could help with wiring instructions. Thank you for any advice you could provide.

Jeff

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
This is my first post and this is my first RAM 1500. Previously I have owned 12 Ford F 150s, 3 GMC 1500s. I have had this RAM back to the dealer 11 times with the active air dam being replaced at a cost of $1,240. Currently the grille mounted air shutters seem to deploy at a variety of temperatures when below 35 MPH bringing the coolant temperature up from 204 deg F to 224 to 228 deg F. I have witnessed the fan coming on at 222 deg F and shutting off a 219 deg F. Sometimes the fan runs when the shutters are closed other times the shutters are open but never consistently or repeatedly relative the the temperature. I am not opposed to putting manual switches on both the air dam and the shutters if someone could help with wiring instructions. Thank you for any advice you could provide.

Jeff
what year is your truck?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when was your air dam replace, did your truck not qualify for the extended warranty on it from the factory. There is a letter being sent to some owners. I wonder if you should investigate and try to get your money back

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I did get the letter and it was covered. I kept getting a message on the dash every 30 minutes that said something about a communication issue. I had previously had a number of electrical issues fixed under warranty and I was beginning to think the computers were crashing. I have never had so many problems with a truck.

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I called FCA US LLC Customer Center yesterday with the question " at what temperature when not moving do the grille shutters open and close". They called back today and said she(the person I talked to) took the question to corporate and they had no answer and that I should try another source. I had explained that the dealer could not answer it either but I did thank her for her effort.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called FCA US LLC Customer Center yesterday with the question " at what temperature when not moving do the grille shutters open and close". They called back today and said she(the person I talked to) took the question to corporate and they had no answer and that I should try another source. I had explained that the dealer could not answer it either but I did thank her for her effort.
try sending a message to @RamCares to see what king feedback/help you can get

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The things in front of the radiator that looks like blinds. The open and close automatically to help regulate engine temp.
The grill shutters are more for fuel mileage and aero than temperature regulation

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Jeff
Sounds like normal engine temps to me. Not quite understanding what the issue is.

Jeff1322

Reaction score
Hey!

We haven't received your direct message! We've love to get you some help with this if you're still looking for it!

Callie
Ram Cares
apparently I didn't send the direct message properly. How do I do it?

Jeff1322

Reaction score
Sounds like normal engine temps to me. Not quite understanding what the issue is.
Best and most efficient combustion is at 210 deg F so I can understand the reason for that but 224 to 228 is too high and detrimental to the engine long term. When I say long term it would be well past the warranty date. Why put a 203 deg F thermostat in it just to allow other control features to not support that tempurature.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best and most efficient combustion is at 210 deg F so I can understand the reason for that but 224 to 228 is too high and detrimental to the engine long term. When I say long term it would be well past the warranty date. Why put a 203 deg F thermostat in it just to allow other control features to not support that tempurature.
This is how it's designed. No amount of parts swapping, or dealer visits is going to change anything. Your onlymootion to make a difference is a custom tune to turn e-fan on sooner. The grill shutters make little difference

Users who are viewing this thread