5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Performance CAI and off road use?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You putting a CAI on your engine is not going to let extra debris enter the engine, that is why they have filters. I'm not talking about the outlandish thing where you had mentioned as a hypothetical situation of completely removing the air filter. Also if a CAI could damage your engine then why did Mopar release the Ram Airflow CAI? All I am saying is there are parts you can swap out and not have any affect on your warranty. If the dealership wants to give you a hard time and want's to grasp at straws for something to try to not pay for it just tell your service manager to read "Consumer Products Warranty Act of 1975 / the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and then fill out their standard Survey they send you every time you visit them with negative remarks. You will have a phone call to you within 24 hours from a Mopar rep that manages the entire area who will bend over backwards for you. The "tech" at the dealership is not going to be the determining factor on if something is covered under warranty or not. I have been there and done that with my wife's car and ****ty service at a local Ford dealership's service department. You as a consumer have every right to take your vehicle to your preferred mechanic, to change your own oil, etc. If that warranty act was not in place then you would never see a single car that is still covered under warranty at any local mom and pop service centers or oil change places because the manufacturer would just say "well you didn't change your oil at our dealership and put money in our pockets so your warranty is now voided"
And yes....Ford service is crap nowadays.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you're talking about is something completely different. You're talking about maintenance. I'm talking about aftermarket modifications. And yes...a highflow air filter will absolutely let more debris into the engine. That's already been proven...even the biggest fans of K&N and others will tell you that. (They will also say it's worth the risk but thats irrelevant). At the end of the day it comes down to risk....are you willing to take the risk or not? I personally won't risk it on a aftermarket brand...others might.

So I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. Maybe it's more like 1 cent but that's the internet these days :ROFLMAO:
Here's my understanding of the whole situation, CAIs, the Ramair, etc.
I have a ram air and love it.
0) I think the "only for offroad use" thing has to do with commiefornia and it's, "you can run all the gas generators you want to power your tesla, but you BETTER have restrictive filters on your Truck!!!" mentality. EPA stuff here to have some bureaucrats ruin your hobby, because as long as the lithium mines aren't visible from San Fran, they don't exist. :rolleyes:

1) I personally think there's a difference between a true CAI and a "hot air intake". I won't knock certain makers or products, but I personally, didn't want a design that was also pulling in hot air from the engine bay. I wanted a closed design.
2) I too believe in dry filters vs oiled. Will an oiled filter hurt the engine? I don't think so, I can't say I feel that way, but I also can see it f**king with the sensors of today's modern engines.

3) The Mopar Ramair design, is a Mopar part. To me that means something and it is worth the premium.
While brands can and would throw someone under the bus here and there, I think sticking with their factory part is a "best foot forward" approach.
4) In addition to how much air is getting to the filter, I think there's a velocity concern as well. I think of it like blowing spitballs through a small tube vs a large one. A large long tube, less velocity. Without boring everyone I think there's an air velocity component, as well as air temperature, as well as distance traveled, as well as filters.
Running at a faster speed, for a shorter distance, with less obstacles? Ideal.

5) As such I think the Ramair setup is ideal in a lot of ways. It's got a filter, a BIG filter, a dry filter, basically right on top of the intake with a short distance to travel and at on of air getting to it. It's not traveling through a long tube, It's not passing through an oiled filter (again this is more about sensors than longevity, IMHO), it's not open to the engine's hot air.

To me that's the better mousetrap. I also think that CAI format is best served with a free-flowing exhaust to go with it.

Additional benefit? Engine bay space to put stuff. A ton of it.

I personally think there's performance gains as well, to suggest it's "Zero" when altitude and octane ratings do effect these things, is silly.
But to pretend it will make the engine a 6.4 Hemi? I won't do that.

Kob0583

Reaction score
So I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. Maybe it's more like 1 cent but that's the internet these days :ROFLMAO:
0) I think the "only for offroad use" thing has to do with commiefornia and it's, "you can run all the gas generators you want to power your tesla, but you BETTER have restrictive filters on your Truck!!!" mentality. EPA stuff here to have some bureaucrats ruin your hobby, because as long as the lithium mines aren't visible from San Fran, they don't exist. :rolleyes:

1) I personally think there's a difference between a true CAI and a "hot air intake". I won't knock certain makers or products, but I personally, didn't want a design that was also pulling in hot air from the engine bay. I wanted a closed design.
2) I too believe in dry filters vs oiled. Will an oiled filter hurt the engine? I don't think so, I can't say I feel that way, but I also can see it f**king with the sensors of today's modern engines.

3) The Mopar Ramair design, is a Mopar part. To me that means something and it is worth the premium.
While brands can and would throw someone under the bus here and there, I think sticking with their factory part is a "best foot forward" approach.
4) In addition to how much air is getting to the filter, I think there's a velocity concern as well. I think of it like blowing spitballs through a small tube vs a large one. A large long tube, less velocity. Without boring everyone I think there's an air velocity component, as well as air temperature, as well as distance traveled, as well as filters.

5) As such I think the Ramair setup is ideal in a lot of ways. It's got a filter, a BIG filter, a dry filter, basically right on top of the intake with a short distance to travel and at on of air getting to it. It's not traveling through a long tube, It's not passing through an oiled filter (again this is more about sensors than longevity, IMHO), it's not open to the engine's hot air.

To me that's the better mousetrap. I also think that CAI format is best served with a free-flowing exhaust to go with it.

I personally think there's performance gains as well, to suggest it's "Zero" when altitude and octane ratings do effect these things, is silly.

Well said, they used a stock CAI for a reason, and the Ramair is just a better version of it, what the net is, can’t say but it’s not a net zero that’s for sure. Worth the price is up to the individual. The off-road use is needed so it can be sold in CA, as it has no secondary carbon filter, most after market CAI do not. Toyota has one that did and it had a CARB stamp because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said, they used a stock CAI for a reason, and the Ramair is just a better version of it, what the net is, can’t say but it’s not a net zero that’s for sure. Worth the price is up to the individual. The off-road use is needed so it can be sold in CA, as it has no secondary carbon filter, most after market CAI do not. Toyota has one that did and it had a CARB stamp because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also of the opinion that as there is more air hitting the front of the truck (highway speeds), the engine is getting even more air at those times.
If I had to guess? I'm thinking it's like 10-15hp at idle, and 20-25hp at speed.
Again as speed increases, more air is being forced in.
It's enough that I either give it less throttle input to maintain the same speed, or get more speed out of the same throttle input. Something is definitely different with the truck.

I'm thinking the vararam likely is a touch better in terms of intaking air, due to that funnel design, the sealing situation at the top is comparatively more opinion in my opinion, etc.
My personal belief is that the mopar ramair made trade offs for sealing and perhaps less snow intake (I haven't done a winter with the ram air), allowing in slightly less funneled air in the absolute sense.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This. All day everyday... exactly my point on all fronts regarding what I previously mentioned. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread