5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

JRD

Reaction score
The benefit is you can buy four parts and not deal with running anything to the front of the truck, pinning wires, etc. Just swap harnesses, plug in the lights, and program. You can do this for any model year.

If you're planning to do this mod, and want an easier way, don't buy the Mopar kit.
I gotcha, for some reason I thought someone said this wasn’t an option for 2019. On top of it being easier it’s also like half the price from what I saw on the parts listed a couple pages back

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok I’ve never done an install like this so I wasn’t sure what was eliminated, in the instructions attached it still routed to the front but if it’s easier that’s good enough for me. I looked on factory Mopar and it looks like they’re selling the same PN for 19 & 22 so maybe they discontinued the older wetnesses? I spoke with the guy selling the harness last night and it sold already.

I will definitely be going with the newer style harness if it eliminates wires and is overall easier to install. Thank you for those directions btw I didn’t realize they had such comprehensive directions that actually shows you the best way to route the harness which is nice.
I knew he sold the harness, my intent was to get you in contact with him for more information as to the 2 different approaches to wiring the bed lights. I think you have it figured out now.

TalleyHo

Reaction score
Does the lift-gate lamp, left MOPAR (68618373AA) not have a manual on/off switch? Is this only controlled by the cargo light button in the cab after programming? Or does the light come on when the tail gate is open? I like the idea of the using the factory harness, and I also like the idea of the LED w/ the on/off switch.

swing4terps

Reaction score
Does the lift-gate lamp, left MOPAR (68618373AA) not have a manual on/off switch? Is this only controlled by the cargo light button in the cab after programming? Or does the light come on when the tail gate is open? I like the idea of the using the factory harness, and I also like the idea of the LED w/ the on/off switch.
It has a button for manual on/off and comes on for some amount of time when vehicle unlocked. I believe it will also come on when liftgate opened, reliant on tailgate ajar sensor and programming.

Bertman

Reaction score
I think I have the correct parts, security bypass, and BT OBDii device sitting in the garage while I try to make time to install them. I've never used AlfaOBD before, I've read that sometimes you need a 4 digit PIN. Will I need that PIN to enable the settings in my truck for the lights?

Thanks

frisby5

Reaction score
I think I have the correct parts, security bypass, and BT OBDii device sitting in the garage while I try to make time to install them. I've never used AlfaOBD before, I've read that sometimes you need a 4 digit PIN. Will I need that PIN to enable the settings in my truck for the lights?

Thanks
No you dont need a pin

eepowers

Reaction score
The benefit is you can buy four parts and not deal with running anything to the front of the truck, pinning wires, etc. Just swap harnesses, plug in the lights, and program. You can do this for any model year.

If you're planning to do this mod, and want an easier way, don't buy the Mopar kit.

Hopping in super late. Is there a part number for the harness for the 2019/2020 that doesn’t need a full rewire? I see the part numbers that are listed from before, but I thought this was for the full rewire. Only thing that’s been holding me back from adding the lights was having to run wires the entire length of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swing4terps

Reaction score
Hopping in super late. Is there a part number for the harness for the 2019/2020 that doesn’t need a full rewire? I see the part numbers that are listed from before, but I thought this was for the full rewire. Only thing that’s been holding me back from adding the lights was having to run wires the entire length of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See post #85.

dome420

Reaction score
Ordering from Bam, about to do this to my 21 once the parts come in. Thanks for the Info on the part numbers!

Seayzf

Reaction score
Hopefully I didn't miss this in the thread. Has anyone used these parts to wire in an aftermarket light (LED strip, black/red wire) instead of the OEM lights?

jmill012

Reaction score
Hi all,

See post #103 below update. All the parts I ordered for my ‘22 Bighorn work perfectly.

I ordered the parts for my year Ram model, in which both left and right harnesses are described as "[Pickup Box], [Pick-Up Box Lighting]". The parts’ description helped confirm options that exist and those I wish to add. In this case, I want to add "Pickup Box Lighting". Other harnesses for my year have different descriptions (like Ramboxes, which I do not have), and from my earlier post, the descriptions for my existing harnesses do not include "Pickup Box Lighting". So, the harnesses I ordered should be the ones I need to add "Pickup Box Lighting". See this link:

Also, since the kit that works for all years has not changed (still re-pin same spot), I didn’t want to potentially mess up something else by getting the wrong harnesses.

Installing the drivers side was super easy. The passenger side took longer, but was not hard. I saved time by not trying too hard to save the clips on the old harnesses. Once installed inside the box, the lights’ wires drop down and are easy to reach. Everything else is also easy to get to and all the clips are in very logical places. One thing I did was trace, or hold the new harnesses side by side to the old harness while it was still installed to get an idea how the new harness would install. I also disconnected the negative battery terminal. I also printed the instructions (below). This was somewhat helpful for installing the lights inside the box.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/b740cf9ee58f77ae3a40c490041ca309.PDF

I included a few pictures from the passenger side harness install (I lowered the spare to run the new harness).

Okay, I have all the parts in my BAM cart but hesitant to pull the trigger because I have no idea where the right side (passenger side) harness is located. I crawled under the truck and the left side is so easy to find... where the heck is the right side? I don't know if it matters but I have a 2023 limited...

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, I have all the parts in my BAM cart but hesitant to pull the trigger because I have no idea where the right side (passenger side) harness is located. I crawled under the truck and the left side is so easy to find... where the heck is the right side? I don't know if it matter but I has a 2023 limited...
The spare tire might make it a bit more difficult to locate the passenger side. Your passenger side harness runs across the width of the truck from one side over to the other, and it clips in with gray push style clips up by where the spare tire is. It is considerably longer than the driver side harness. Some have done it without dropping the spare, but dropping it would 100% make it an easier swap to do in my opinion. I apologize for these p.iss poor photos, but I stole this from a quick video clip I sent to someone on Facebook. In these photos, I was on my back under the truck with my head towards the front, and my legs under the tailgate. Hopefully that can give you a point of reference.

The second picture shows you where the harness is grounded on the passenger side of the frame. That could also help you easily locate it.

IMG_9750.jpeg

IMG_9751.jpeg

Last edited:

jmill012

Reaction score
The spare tire might make it a bit more difficult to locate the passenger side. Your passenger side harness runs across the width of the truck from one side over to the other, and it clips in with gray push style clips up by where the spare tire is. It is considerably longer than the driver side harness. Some have done it without dropping the spare, but dropping it would 100% make it an easier swap to do in my opinion. I apologize for these p.iss poor photos, but I stole this from a quick video clip I sent to someone on Facebook. In these photos, I was on my back under the truck with my head towards the front, and my legs under the tailgate. Hopefully that can give you a point of reference.

The second picture shows you where the harness is grounded on the passenger side of the frame. That could also help you easily locate it.

View attachment 166921

View attachment 166920

Perfect! I located it! Thank you so much. Just ordered all the parts.

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
Bed lights installed on my 2023 Sport. Took about 30 minutes max to install the lights and wiring. I didn't bother to drop the spare tire.

AlfaODB took a bit to figure out as this was my first time using it.

For the newbies
- Connect the AlfaODB to your truck with a SGW bypass (I also used a bluetooth connection as it was from an android phone). my SGW was under the dash, just above the ODBII connector.
- Under "My Car" pick Dodge Ram
- Under "Select Control Unit" pick your truck year, and if DT (newer body)
- Switch screen to active diagnostics (4th from the left)
- Scroll down to "car configuration settings"
- Bottom of the page "select option" then type in bed, and it will bring up 2 of the parameters to change
- Select one of them, and then select value "YES"
- Click Start, and then NEXT
- repeat for other option
- search "BAGGAGE" and repeat above to change if needed (mine was already set to YES)
- Disconnect
Hi thanks for the newbie explanation. I have read so much on this forum and want to start making some changes to my 23 Laramie. I want to start with the bed lights then work my way up to more advanced changes ACC, LKS digital screen some bigger projects. When you are making changes to the configuration the truck needs to be in the "run" position correct? after you make 1 change to "yes" do you have to cycle the key to off and do one at a time? or can you make all the changes you need and then back out?

After you make all the changes are you supposed to remove the fob and return to the truck after some time has passed? Or can you just fire her up immediately and see if the changes worked in alfa? Thanks being patient with a newbie lol I just ordered the parts up above and I'm going to give this a shot!

Edit: just ordered the below parts thanks to everyone I think I got what I needed out of reading the forum just trying something unknown like alfa on my truck is scary scary lol I can see how people need a little reassurance before making changes. last question is using alfa on 2023 Rams is just like any other just select "My23" ? I had read that people were struggling with 2023 trucks.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.88​
1​
$25.88​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.50​
1​
$40.50​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.84​
1​
$40.84​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring​
$45.62​
1​
$45.62​

Last edited:

231500BTS

Reaction score
Just got all the parts in from BAM and just got them installed on my 23 BTS. Took about 20 min because i had to trim a little bed liner but all in all super easy project. Programmed with alfaobd and everything worked perfect. Thanks for finding a solid solution that doesn't involve running wires to the front. Think all of them should come with bed lights from the factory!

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the newbie explanation. I have read so much on this forum and want to start making some changes to my 23 Laramie. I want to start with the bed lights then work my way up to more advanced changes ACC, LKS digital screen some bigger projects. When you are making changes to the configuration the truck needs to be in the "run" position correct? after you make 1 change to "yes" do you have to cycle the key to off and do one at a time? or can you make all the changes you need and then back out?

After you make all the changes are you supposed to remove the fob and return to the truck after some time has passed? Or can you just fire her up immediately and see if the changes worked in alfa? Thanks being patient with a newbie lol I just ordered the parts up above and I'm going to give this a shot!

Edit: just ordered the below parts thanks to everyone I think I got what I needed out of reading the forum just trying something unknown like alfa on my truck is scary scary lol I can see how people need a little reassurance before making changes. last question is using alfa on 2023 Rams is just like any other just select "My23" ? I had read that people were struggling with 2023 trucks.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.88​
1​
$25.88​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.50​
1​
$40.50​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.84​
1​
$40.84​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring​
$45.62​
1​
$45.62​
I Googled and then watched a couple of videos. Many of the best AlfaOBD instructional videos were for a 4th gen, but seems to be the same steps.

I’ve made changes in all ignition positions. Admittedly I forgot to turn mine even to accessory once. Seems to always work. Mostly I put mine in accessory mode. But I have put it all the way to run when running diagnostics (not when making changes).

After a change, I always do best when I shut the truck all the way down and wait a few minutes before trying any changes (or cycling). Sometimes I need two or three tries or cycles.

Make good backups just to be safe. There are videos and threads how to do that as well. This (backup) should be your 1st Alfa task.

While I didn't do this originally, if I could start over I would have uploaded my config file first and searched through some of the settings mentioned on these threads before making any changes. After I started reviewing the file before a change, I used basic/free text editors to do this. Makes sense to get familiar with the settings in your BCM’s config. For example, there is a separate thread related to the VTA (and some of the content is duplicated here). In that thread I helped discover a needed Alfa update that enabled the alarm to trigger when the hood is opened. The only way I figured that out was by digging into the config file (and then working with Alexey the Alfa developer). IMO you’ll be more comfortable with making changes if you are more familiar with the config file you are changing.

And then start with something easy like the LED bed lights, or better the fog light drop out. In no time you’ll be a pro.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got all the parts in from BAM and just got them installed on my 23 BTS. Took about 20 min because i had to trim a little bed liner but all in all super easy project. Programmed with alfaobd and everything worked perfect. Thanks for finding a solid solution that doesn't involve running wires to the front. Think all of them should come with bed lights from the factory!
In 2015 even Big Horns, bed lighting was standard. My 2018 Laramie had them. I was surprised when my 2020 Laramie didn't have them.

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
I Googled and then watched a couple of videos. Many of the best AlfaOBD instructional videos were for a 4th gen, but seems to be the same steps.

I’ve made changes in all ignition positions. Admittedly I forgot to turn mine even to accessory once. Seems to always work. Mostly I put mine in accessory mode. But I have put it all the way to run when running diagnostics (not when making changes).

After a change, I always do best when I shut the truck all the way down and wait a few minutes before trying any changes (or cycling). Sometimes I need two or three tries or cycles.

Make good backups just to be safe. There are videos and threads how to do that as well. This (backup) should be your 1st Alfa task.

While I didn't do this originally, if I could start over I would have uploaded my config file first and searched through some of the settings mentioned on these threads before making any changes. After I started reviewing the file before a change, I used basic/free text editors to do this. Makes sense to get familiar with the settings in your BCM’s config. For example, there is a separate thread related to the VTA (and some of the content is duplicated here). In that thread I helped discover a needed Alfa update that enabled the alarm to trigger when the hood is opened. The only way I figured that out was by digging into the config file (and then working with Alexey the Alfa developer). IMO you’ll be more comfortable with making changes if you are more familiar with the config file you are changing.

And then start with something easy like the LED bed lights, or better the fog light drop out. In no time you’ll be a pro.
I appreciate you, kind sir. I put my order in and when I get my parts I'll let you know if I found a way to screw things up lol I have been a ram owner for only a few weeks but the Ram community seems to be pretty great. I am thinking about my next project after this to be a camera in front of the truck in the cargo camera spot.

Last edited:

MN Gopher

Reaction score
2023 Limited 1500 new body. Ordered BAM parts all fit perfect. Unable to get Alfa OBD to connect to body computer. Have bypass harness and OBD Link MX+. Enabled all permissions on Android. Able to connect to bluetooth. Not able to get body computer for My2023 or My2022 DT + to connect in Accessory or Run ignition setting. Anyone have success with a 2023 or will I need to go to dealer to activate? See pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_173338_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_173338_AlfaOBD.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230915_173411_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_173411_AlfaOBD.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230915_173527.jpg
    20230915_173527.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230915_173405_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_173405_AlfaOBD.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 37

Sparcky

Reaction score

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.88​
1​
$25.88​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.50​
1​
$40.50​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.84​
1​
$40.84​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring​
$45.62​
1​
$45.62​
I didnt have to cycle the key each time. just went to the appropriate item and saved. It worked right away, you are making programming changes, no time delays in taking effect.

Users who are viewing this thread